By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 23 December 2017

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure it is reasonable (not mandatory) and as I put in another post, if Nintendo shipped 15M by December end it is likely that Switch sold 13-14M.

So if you agree that what i said is believable than what was the point of your original snarky response to me?

Sometimes being snark is an end in itself you know. Also I was more under the impression that you didn't think RoW would be overtracked if we just increased Europe at that time (7 and 10M announcements), but sure for end of year it may be somewhat undertracked if the split remains the same.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm not bothered by Switch doing well or even doing well in Europe. I just pointed that id doing good in France doesn't mandatorily mean it done good in all Europe (point in case, Switch was the fastest selling console in France on the first 10 months, but wasn't the same for Europe as a whole). That is why I pointed that Asia itself have been good for PS4 and that doesn't mean Japan itself did good, or we could even put that Europe doing bad for X1 doesn't make it do bad in UK.

It's not necessary to be the fastest selling console in history to do well and I didn't even hint at Switch being the fastest selling console in Europe as a whole.

Why the PS4 comparison is flawed has already been explained. The XB1 comparison is flawed because it is known that Microsoft has problems in mainland Europe, but not in the UK. Nintendo has no historical lopsided sales trends in Europe like Microsoft does, that's why the comparison doesn't work.

Sure it isn't necessary. But if we use France being 25% of the market to put Europe numbers up, for it to hold the percentage on marketshare it would also need to be fast in all other European markets.

Nintendo doesn't have issues on Europe, still if I'm not wrong aren't you on the wagon that think Japan and USA advantage Switch have will be higher than PS4 that only have "one market" lead over Switch?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

USA+Japan made up about 60% of global sales at the end of March, end of Sept and as of Dec 10. Its safe to assume it has remained about the same so end of 2017 totals should be 13-13.5 million.

Going by those numbers, Japan started at 22.5% in March, and with December 10th Numbers is at 27.5%.

If you want to look at older wii numbers: June 2008 it had 1.8 million units sold in France, 1 million units sold in Germany, somewhere around 500k in Italy, and over 3 million in Uk..

Nintendo somehow managed to loose the UK market, additionally it also can be seen that Nintendo consoles perform signficantly better in France compared to other European markets (in their early lifetime - likely pre price cuts - do not forget that the Switch launched at 300€ in France, while the rest is 330€ up to 360€ ). Given historic data in combination with Switch pricing, it's safer to assume that the french numbers are more likely not appicable to the rest of EU.

Last edited by Hustensaft - on 13 January 2018

RolStoppable said:
mZuzek said:

Well I think the mere fact Switch has come as close as it has (on launch year even) is pretty impressive already. To think a year ago people thought it'd be another failure, yeah, we've come a good way.

I mean, the PS4 is the PS4. It's a beast. It's been selling like hotcakes ever since it launched and shows no signs of slowing down at this point. Seriously, the fact that this is the system we're comparing the Switch to is amazing on its own.

Boring.

France, first ten months:

Switch - 911k
Wii - 700k
PS4 - 650k

"There's nothing Nintendo can do about Europe."

I hope you realize, that you are comparing consoles that had little to no stock at launch, and were sold out ins seconds vs a console that had a full holiday period, of course switch is gonna far ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOQnkawaM14   

RolStoppable said:
Aeolus451 said:

I didn't "protray" any of that. That's just you rambling. Nintendo doesn't threaten Sony's hold over Europe so "There's nothing Nintendo can do about Europe" is still the case. France in and itself won't change that. Nintendo doing well in Europe won't change that. It would have to do better than Sony in Europe to dispel that. Nintendo can still do well in Europe while Sony has a hold over Europe.

In my original post I was talking about a repeatedly expressed sentiment in previous threads about global hardware sales.  I further specified what this sentiment is in the post you just quoted. It wasn't and isn't about beating the PS4, it is about Switch doing well for itself.

You don't disagree. You are merely not familar with the discussions in previous threads about global hardware sales.

That repeatedly expressed sentiment is about Sony's hold over Europe and Nintendo being unable to change that. It's often expressed in a relevant form to the given situation when Sony dominates over the other two. I'm talking about that sentiment in the right context.

quickrick said:
RolStoppable said:

Boring.

France, first ten months:

Switch - 911k
Wii - 700k
PS4 - 650k

"There's nothing Nintendo can do about Europe."

I hope you realize, that you are comparing consoles that had little to no stock at launch, and were sold out ins seconds vs a console that had a full holiday period, of course switch is gonna far ahead.

Why can't you just admit that Switch has been highly successful without coming up with excuses for other systems not selling at the same pace? 

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
quickrick said:

Why can't you just admit that Switch has been highly successful without coming up with excuses for other systems not selling at the same pace? 

switch is highly successful right now, and those are great numbers in france, but those numbers make it seem like switch is destroying wii, and ps4, but it's simply because switch had a full holiday period, those consoles just launched late into the holidays with just enough stock to meet launch demand.

RolStoppable said:
Aeolus451 said:

That repeatedly expressed sentiment is about Sony's hold over Europe and Nintendo being unable to change that. It's often expressed in a relevant form to the given situation when Sony dominates over the other two. I'm talking about that sentiment in the right context.

Really?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8685477

I was talking the sentiment in general and not in one post.

quickrick said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

switch is highly successful right now, and those are great numbers in france, but those numbers make it seem like switch is destroying wii, and ps4, but it's simply because switch had a full holiday period, those consoles just launched late into the holidays with just enough stock to meet launch demand.

Yet you continue to ignore Switch had stock issues for half a year, why is it that stock only matters when it comes to PS4 according to you? 

Last edited by PortisheadBiscuit - on 13 January 2018

Aeolus451 said:
RolStoppable said:

But it does. Since the GfK numbers for France have been revealed, all of Europe has been adjusted up by VGC. This in turn means that Switch is doing well in Europe, so portraying Europe as a worrisome region for Nintendo has no basis in reality.

I didn't "protray" any of that. That's just you rambling. Nintendo doesn't threaten Sony's hold over Europe so "There's nothing Nintendo can do about Europe" is still the case. France in and itself won't change that. Nintendo doing well in Europe won't change that. It would have to do better than Sony in Europe to dispel that. Nintendo can still do well in Europe while Sony has a hold over Europe.

Good post.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said: 

Sure it isn't necessary. But if we use France being 25% of the market to put Europe numbers up, for it to hold the percentage on marketshare it would also need to be fast in all other European markets.

Nintendo doesn't have issues on Europe, still if I'm not wrong aren't you on the wagon that think Japan and USA advantage Switch have will be higher than PS4 that only have "one market" lead over Switch?

I didn't use 25% in any of my posts. All I said is that if Switch is doing incredibly in France, it's safe to say that Switch is doing at least fine in all other major European countries. Hence why Switch is doing well overall in Europe.

As for PS4 vs. Switch lifetime, Switch doing well in Europe supports the prediction of an overall Switch victory, so what's your train of logic by asking this question? Switch winning in Japan by ~10m and in America by ~10m while losing in Europe by ~10m, that gives Switch the advantage.

If you assume Switch will be over 10M for USA and Japan, with PS4 being 10M ahead in Europe and nothing in RoW, then sure Switch would win... now if that will really happen, that isn't really anything certain.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."