By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 23 December 2017

PS4 stomping even with a slow December

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Launch-aligned comparisons are useful to determine where a system is going. Of course the circumstances differ for each and every console, so the sales curves will never be 100% identical. But it's still much better to make such comparisons than not making them.

Switch vs. Wii U launch-aligned demonstrates how much better Switch is doing. Switch vs. 3DS launch-aligned shows that Switch is in much better shape than the 3DS; not only didn't need Switch a price cut, but its sales are more evenly split across regions.

In order to brush off launch-aligned comparisons as irrelevant, you would have to know the exact lifetime sales of any given console in advance. But nobody does, so launch-aligned comparisons are useful. What a launch-aligned comparison between Switch and the PS4 tells us is that the PS4 isn't setting bars that are insurmountable for any console coming after it; the comparison also shows that it's far from a given that Sony is and will be the biggest player in the video game market.

I wasn't aware that this was a sentiment that anyone held. If anything I feel what the PS4 proved was that consoles weren't dead as many woulf have had us believe at the start of this gen and on the back of the WiiU failure. 

I don't even think the PS4 is setting any bars... at the end of the day it's most likely that it won't sell as much as the PS2. which for so far is still the highest selling console of all time. 

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

So since PS4 is doing good in Asia it is also doing good in Japan right?

I don't know why you'd make such a flawed comparison. France is Europe's second-biggest market (at times traded second and third place with Germany) and not far behind the UK, so there's nothing farfetched about suggesting that incredible sales in France scale to at least good sales in the other European countries.

On the other hand, Japan is a much bigger market than the rest of Asia combined, so performance in Asia doesn't indicate anything about Japan. Not to mention that we get plenty of official data for the Japanese market, so there's no reason to estimate anything to begin with.

France may be even 50% of Europe if want, still PS4 lead on Europe was so big that you using Switch doing good in France as any measure of Europe success is as silly as putting that because PS4 is doing good in a region it is doing any good in a particular country.

The part is not the total and the total is not the part

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Launch aligned comparaisons make sense. Some people say launching in fall/holiday season is an handicap yet the console with the record of most units sold during it's launch year is the Wii, and it launched during the end of the year. Consoles will have more stocks if they launch during holidays compare to launching in Spring.

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't know why you'd make such a flawed comparison. France is Europe's second-biggest market (at times traded second and third place with Germany) and not far behind the UK, so there's nothing farfetched about suggesting that incredible sales in France scale to at least good sales in the other European countries.

On the other hand, Japan is a much bigger market than the rest of Asia combined, so performance in Asia doesn't indicate anything about Japan. Not to mention that we get plenty of official data for the Japanese market, so there's no reason to estimate anything to begin with.

France may be even 50% of Europe if want, still PS4 lead on Europe was so big that you using Switch doing good in France as any measure of Europe success is as silly as putting that because PS4 is doing good in a region it is doing any good in a particular country.

The part is not the total and the total is not the part

France made up 20-25% of European totals for DS, Wii, 3DS & Wii U so if we assume a similar percentage for Switch (no reason not to) than Europe should be ~4 million give or take for Switch.

This site has it at 2.92m with one week left so ~3 million with that week added in. Europe is most likely undertracked for Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I dont understand why/how XBO sold better than the PS4 in USA...... there was some new release or price cut??

kazuyamishima said:
Not surprised
Weren't too many people in this site shouting that December was always best month for Nintendo consoles/handleds?

I made many posts on it, and showed statistics.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Heavenly_King said:
I dont understand why/how XBO sold better than the PS4 in USA...... there was some new release or price cut??

Both.

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds released and it was $199 compared to $249 for PS4.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

France made up 20-25% of European totals for DS, Wii, 3DS & Wii U so if we assume a similar percentage for Switch (no reason not to) than Europe should be ~4 million give or take for Switch.

This site has it at 2.92m with one week left so ~3 million with that week added in. Europe is most likely undertracked for Switch.

4 million, huh? Would be great to see an increase of ~1.9m after Switch was at ~2.1m in the week ending December 16th, almost doubling its sales in two weeks.

I mean there is a wide range there

If France is 20% of Europe than it should be ~4.5m

If France is 25% of Europe than it should be ~3.6m

If France is 30% of Europe than it should be ~3.0m

Since France was in the 20-25% range for the last 4 Nintendo platforms than i see no reason not assume the same applies for Switch, thats why i landed on ~4m since its about right in the middle.

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

But it does. Since the GfK numbers for France have been revealed, all of Europe has been adjusted up by VGC. This in turn means that Switch is doing well in Europe, so portraying Europe as a worrisome region for Nintendo has no basis in reality.

So since PS4 is doing good in Asia it is also doing good in Japan right?

Yes, it's doing good in Japan. Unless you consider PS3 and Wii as flops in Japan...