By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Vita has all of the features you wish the Nintendo Switch had.

RolStoppable said:
Aeolus451 said:
"currently the fastest selling home console in history"

It's not.

I am pretty sure that d21lewis is referencing the news that Switch is the fastest selling home video game system in the United States.

I knew what he meant. I pointed it out so others might know as well. 

Around the Network

The 3G PlayStation Vita is still the best Mobile device I have ever used.

I picked up a Switch November 7th, along with Mario Odyessy, Zelda, and Mario Kart. Played Mario Odyessy about 5 hours a day for weeks, and only spent about 3 hours each with the other two. I did a free trial of Hulu to check out their Live TV, but Vue is much better, so that didn't stick. Now that the holidays are over and I have less time at home, I have not used the Switch for anything. And that irritates the shit out of me.

I still take the 3G Vita with me to work because it fits in my pocket along with my flip phone. Since it is with me, I end up Remote Playing PS4, or playing one of the many PS1, PSP, or PS Vita games I have installed. When I get home I either use my 3G Vita or my Slim Vita for web browsing, e-mail, Youtube, Netflix, Crackle, Twitter, or continue the game I was playing earlier in the day. Otherwise I am using PSVR or the PS4 for one of the things above.

I really want to get more out of my Switch. The bigger screen would make it perfect for doing quick web searches while I am watching something on TV, or checking e-mails, or looking at social media. If I have it out for stuff like that I am much more likely to jump into a game or check the e-shop for something new.

Hopefully Nintendo can address these short comings on the software skde over the next year. I am looking forward to what they do with their paid network service, and hope that some of thatmoney goes toward improving and expanding the OS. On the hardware side, a small more pocketable Switch with 4G or 5G would finally give us a product that out performs the Vita, and gives us a decent option in the mobile space.

I am tired of crap phones, and I hope Nintendo can use what they have here to finally advance the mobile space.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I personally think the vita has been the most underrated and under appreciated handholdnof all time. It had tons of brilliant features, a great screen and really comfortable hold to game with. It could produce really nice visuals (by far the best at its time for handholds)

The problem was nintendo pretty much owned the handhold market and people just didn’t give the vita the time of day. It’s a shame really but I guess the thats competitve business, and Nintendo won that market even with what I thought was a awesome handhold but inferior to what the vita was capable of.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Aeolus451 said:
RolStoppable said:

I am pretty sure that d21lewis is referencing the news that Switch is the fastest selling home video game system in the United States.

I knew what he meant. I pointed it out so others might know as well. 

Not only is it inaccurate because it doesn't mention it is only in one region/location but it also fails to mention the time scale so doubly inaccurate. Fastest selling for how long. A quick google brings up this.

http://twinfinite.net/2017/04/10-fastest-selling-home-consoles/

With very different results. It's just the way statistics are manipulated. 

What if there is some village somewhere that has only bought 2 Ouya consoles ever out of maybe only 19 households mainly elderly can I state the best selling, fastest selling, most popular console ever is the Ouya without clarifying anything else?

Ultimately what really matters is how many are sold in total worldwide and the Switch is incredibly healthy sales wise at the moment. Some consoles lose momentum like the Dreamcast for example and many others and really we shouldn't count our chickens with regard the Switch.

Here in Europe the Switch is not even close to PS4 popularity and in Japan the reverse is true with the Switch storming ahead. Xbox sales are also pretty healthy even in 3rd place overall. Fantastic for consumers with 3 major companies competing in gaming keeping prices competitive. 

d21lewis said:
irstupid said:

This. Unless the Vita or the Switch or whatever portable device you have is replacing your phone (meaning it makes calls) the extra need for all that is redundant. Everyone's shiny new phone will be more powerful, faster, have a better screen ect than any portable gaming system.

Do people not realize these are $1,000.00 phones. (Yes, mark-up cause they can trick people into thinking they aren't paying out the ear by trade-ins/renting)

I'd argue that the Vita failed because it didn't have a lot of "must play" games and the memory cards cost way too much (and the console had ZERO usable built in memory).

At the same time, it still had the features in the OP packed into a $250-$300 device back in 2012. And, in the plus side, the Switch is confirmed to get many new features in the near future, too.

Nah PSP was a beast cause it launched before phones. 

Before smart phones I used my PSP for everything, i.e. music, videos as did most my friends. I would never leave home wthout it. I reckon 90% of my time on the PSP was the media functionality.

Now with a phone I do all that and more on it.

With my VITA all i do is play games with it and that's been a while now.

WIth my smart phone I cna now link to the TV to play 1080p videos too so no need for my switch to do all that.

Saying all this I have no objection in what you think the switch needs. Everyone is different but for most people they can't live without the smart phone being less than a meter away from them lol.

The practical things like themes, folders etc I think everyone would love to see.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Everybody hated Nintendo so I loved Nintendo. Now, everybody loves Nintendo so I guess I have to throw some hate their way.

First things first, the only thing that matters when it comes to a gaming console is the games. If a console has the games and the gaming experience that you're satisfied with, everything else is just extra. I could list a dozen features that the Xbox One and WiiU had that the PS4 didn't. It doesn't matter. People wanted the PS4 for its library and power. I can't argue with that.

-The meat of this topic-

The Switch launched in March and it's currently the fastest selling home console in history. I bought mine on day one and I love it! However, there's a list of features that I wish it had. I made a list. Strangely enough, when I look at my list of most wanted features, the PlayStation Vita had almost all of them!

• Bluetooth headphone support?
  • Wallpapers/Themes
  • Built in voice chat
  • Web browser
  • Netflix and other streaming services
  • Folders
  • Lock screen password/PIN
  • Camera
  • Backwards compatibility
  • Downloadable library of old games
  • Cross Console purchases
It's pretty crazy. I mean the Vita launched like five or six years ago and yet the newly released Nintendo Switch can't compare in terms of features. Am I the only one a little bothered by this?

Looks like you're getting a lot of counter arguments.. though, none of em really makes sense to me.

Most notable is the phone argument.. whats a uber fast and more technologically advance phone gonna do to help with your switch problem? ZERO.

Only thing I'd disagree on is the streaming services.. not that It wouldn't be usefull, but I just dont care for em at all. 

On a side note, the reason the vita failed was coz lots of its games were available on the PSP and PS3 making it next to useless.. that and its huge as a brick with crappy batter life and the memory card was expensive as fuq. Only real reason to have a vita is for persona 4 golden. (i think it hasn't been ported else where yet..) everything else can be played else where or you can just pass on em as they aint that awesome anyways..

If only Sony just shoved a bunch of cash down capcom's way to keep monster hunter on their platforms... things would have been way different i think.. 

ils411 said:

On a side note, the reason the vita failed was coz lots of its games were available on the PSP and PS3 making it next to useless.. that and its huge as a brick with crappy batter life and the memory card was expensive as fuq.

Crappy battery life? Compared to what? It has a much better battery life than my 3DS XL and my Switch.

It's just as portable/pocketable as my heavier 3DS XL.

Vita is easily my personal favorite portable. I've said as much before. Just started Toukiden: Age Of Demons. Fucking great! Still think many people have slept on it's library, and it doesn't get enough credit for it's quality, which my be partially due to quite a few lower than deserved meta-scrores. Ugh. As for the Switch, I hope Nintendo will get on adding to it's feature set. The overall online setup is the big one though. I wish I had the energy to address some of the posts in this thread, but it's probably best to just leave it alone. The entire online aspect of it is absolutely the most horrendous, awful, and comprehensive series of regressions I've ever seen from a company. I'm not even going to outline what's wrong, but if you think it's acceptable, more power to you. I can see how not having access ones old digital library could be an issue too. It's one I wouldn't worry about, but it's a bit slimy. The other missing features aren't really a big deal, but it surely would only be a positive to have them on board. Switch looks great otherwise. The games, tech, and overall value proposition are quite lovely.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 13 January 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

KLAMarine said:
Jranation said:
Maybe cause Nintendo focused on making games for the Switch rather than Sony making it look like their xperia phones.

Or it could be because of that. Sony makes Xperia. So they have the people to implement these stuff

Are you saying that Nintendo doesn't have the people to implement stuff like Netflix and such?

The 3DS has Netflix and YouTube and wallpapers.

I think it's a case of Nintendo just holding back on features and then implementing them during slow periods where not many games are releasing or Switch sales are slowing down. Speculation on my part but if I were in the business, that's what I would do: "hey guys! Netflix now available on your Switch! Grab your Switch and download it now!".

Im just saying it will take a longer time for Nintendo to implement those than the Vita. 

Maybe its also fairer to compare it to the PS4 than the Vita. Because Nintendo is treating the Switch as a home console rather than as a handheld. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Spindel said:
d21lewis said:

Everybody hated Nintendo so I loved Nintendo. Now, everybody loves Nintendo so I guess I have to throw some hate their way.

First things first, the only thing that matters when it comes to a gaming console is the games. If a console has the games and the gaming experience that you're satisfied with, everything else is just extra. I could list a dozen features that the Xbox One and WiiU had that the PS4 didn't. It doesn't matter. People wanted the PS4 for its library and power. I can't argue with that.

-The meat of this topic-

The Switch launched in March and it's currently the fastest selling home console in history. I bought mine on day one and I love it! However, there's a list of features that I wish it had. I made a list. Strangely enough, when I look at my list of most wanted features, the PlayStation Vita had almost all of them!

• Bluetooth headphone support?
  • Wallpapers/Themes
  • Built in voice chat
  • Web browser
  • Netflix and other streaming services
  • Folders
  • Lock screen password/PIN
  • Camera
  • Backwards compatibility
  • Downloadable library of old games
  • Cross Console purchases
It's pretty crazy. I mean the Vita launched like five or six years ago and yet the newly released Nintendo Switch can't compare in terms of features. Am I the only one a little bothered by this?

What do i need wallpapers and themes, a camera, folders, web browser, netflix and other streaming services for in a gaming system?

The feature that makes me most perplexed that you claim as a ”most wanted” is a camera. Yay another device with a crappy camera.

Some of these features will probably come, but I kind of hope they don’t. It’s nice to have a dedicated gaming device without usless overhead and memory usage for meaningless non gaming finctions.

I’ve decided this is a troll topic

It's not always about what YOU want. There was a fake Switch version 5.0 update that had a ton of features and people were super happy and excited. It had features that PEOPLE WANTED. The Vita has those features. This isn't a "buy a Vita" thread. This is a thread asking why the Switch doesn't have features that an older failure of a system offers.

Add me on Switch. SW-0666-6288-1304

Last edited by d21lewis - on 13 January 2018