By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is PS4 the 1st Console ever to have the same Top Seller as it's Predecessor?

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
I thought it wouldn't come to this. I've put the creation of a thread based on that fact on hold for at least a couple of months, but now you ruin it with this.

Well, I have only myself to blame for postponing it for so long.

Sorry for stealing your thunder.  I've actually had posting this in mind for a while now as well.  I finally had a light day and decided to get to it.  Coincidentally, the same thing happened to me.  I've been meaning to create a thread regarding Nintendo Switch games by user play time, and then this happened:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234008&page=1  ("Your Most Played Nintendo Switch Games?)

DonFerrari said:
Yep may be the first time...

It is also the first time we have the game of the generation being the same for 2 generations, that being The Last of Us... Sony is full of duplicates =p

By whose metric though?  Sales data is easy to quantify.  But, a "Game of the Generation" tag is very subjective.  I did a quick search though, and I didn't see the re-release of The Last of Us for PS4 on any "Game of the Generation" lists.

Around the Network

It speaks volumes for the industry-wide, creativity decline. There was a time in the 80's, 90's and early 00's when this wasn't so. But hey... REMAKE... REMAKE... PORT... REMAKE... PORT!

I bet I lost your attention there, didn't I?

aikohualda said:
sony must love rockstar....

They secured marketing deals for "Red Dead Redemption 2", Im guessing they understand how big a impact they have.

DonFerrari said:
Yep may be the first time...

It is also the first time we have the game of the generation being the same for 2 generations, that being The Last of Us CoD 4... Sony is full of duplicates =p

You called?

aikohualda said:

Other way around, the ps2 was huge before gta. The ps2 success gave R* a canvas to paint the future they now have. Where would R* be without Sony is more like it. I would make the same argument for any 3rd party franchise that started on PS1 and PS2

Around the Network

By the looks of things, GTAV will be the top selling game on every console, forever.

Amazing stats for an amazing game, it really is brilliant.

We've really only seen games being routinely ported to both gens over the last half decade or so, mainly because the leap in hardware from one gen to the next was comparably small this time around as far as visuals and such are concerned... for most of It certainly seems possible that this is the only time that has happened.

The only instance I can think of where this probably happened was Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 (confirmed top seller) and Pac-Man for the Atari 5200 (probable top seller), but I'm not sure that should count as the latter isn't a port of the 2600 version but was built from the ground up as the 2600 version was notoriously flawed.

loy310 said:
aikohualda said:

Other way around, the ps2 was huge before gta. The ps2 success gave R* a canvas to paint the future they now have. Where would R* be without Sony is more like it. I would make the same argument for any 3rd party franchise that started on PS1 and PS2

Why love cannot be mutual?

I am saying this since sony's best seller for their consoles are mostly from rockstar....

If there is a GTA6 this gen, then it will be the top seller.

GTA is mostly always the top seller on PS platforms. Guess that goes with PS consoles always being the one with the largest core gamer global penetration coupled with GTA not being on Nintendo platforms.