By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Was 2017 Nintendo's Best Year Ever?

Best Year Ever?

Yes 19 39.58%

No 26 54.17%

See Results 3 6.25%

Total:48

Close! But I’m going to go with end of 2006 through 2007. It seemed a little bit bigger of a year for Nintendo because not only did tons of software come out for Wii and DS, but on a competitive level, they levelled Sony, and Nintendo shot into a very very distant first place with two wildly successful consoles selling tens of millions combined. While this year is certainly up there, Nintendo has at least one better. From a commercial standpoint they saw heights not seen before; but they had comparable sales in the next two years. Combined with 2008 and 2009  Nintendo sold a total of 160,000,000 hardware and a total 915,000,000 software on those two.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 11 January 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I think it might well be!

Switch!!!

RolStoppable said:
It's certainly in contention. Wii was off to a great start as well, had Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 in its first 12 months, plus a bunch of supporting titles and Wii Sports; really not too different from Switch, although a couple of Wii games would be 2006 and therefore don't fit into the metric of calendar years. The DS was blowing full steam ahead in 2007, so Nintendo had two highly successful systems side by side. That's why I'd put down 2007 as Nintendo's best year. They had great games, they had great sales, they completely destroyed the narrative that "Nintendo will go third party soon."

There are a lot of parallels between 2006/07 and 2017. It's awesome when Nintendo challenges conventional wisdom.

Have to agree with this. 2017 was good but 2007 was much better. 

Solid post, Platina - I enjoyed reading it. However, I can’t tell whether you’re referring to “best year “ creatively, critically or commercially? Or maybe a combination of all three?

Creatively, I would say no. Nintendo hasn’t been at their peak creatively in a long time, as far as inventing new IP. Critically and commercially, I would say absolutely one of their best years besides 2007. It’s a fantastic time to be a Nintendo fan and feels good to be excited about the company again.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

I'm partial to 2008 myself. January 16th, 2008 I got my Wii, and for the next year, until Street Fighter IV's release, I was a Nintendo guy and obsessed with the console. I do look fondly at those times.

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
Not if you been alive long enough to see Nintendo in the 80s and early 90s. We remember when we got new IP's of Metroid and Zelda in the same year! 1994 and 1995 were insanely great for SNES.

THIS!

AlfredoTurkey said:
In the 80's, Nintendo's marketshare was over 90% and they were so creative that they were actually INVENTING Mario, Metroid and many of the franchises which we all still play today. So no, 2017 is not their best year. Not by a country mile.

AND THIS!

Shadow1980 said:
Good year? Yes. Best year? Personally, I don't think so. The late 80s & early 90s were consistently strong years for Nintendo. First we saw the NES revitalize the console market and get strong first-party offerings and third-party support, and we saw the Game Boy introduced in 1989 and the SNES in 1991 both with amazing lineups. That was to me Nintendo's golden age. The Switch may very well be their renaissance, though.

YES, YES THIS!!

If you have seen Thor: Ragnarok, then think of that scene where Hela says, "You don't know what the old Odin was like".  If you really think 2017 is their best year ever, then you don't know what old Nintendo was like.  They used to bury their enemies and take no prisoners.  That is because their games were so much better than everyone else's.  On top of that, many people often say, "Do I want a console with Nintendo's 1st party games or another console with with all the great 3rd party games."  The NES was both.  All of the best games were on one console.

People discount how successful the NES was, because they haven't looked at the data carefully.  In the US and Japan, the NES total sales were between PS1 and PS2 once you adjust for population growth.  Only the PS1 and PS2 were selling to people who were already enthusiastic about console gaming.  The NES started with a market that was actively hostile to console gaming and converted the people into enthusiasts.  Take the enthusiasm of the Wii + the staying power of the PS2 and you get the NES.

(And don't get me started on the Gameboy and SNES....)

Yes, with BotW.
Best game ever.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

2008 and 2009 won't be topped easily. Maybe 2018 and 2019 will do the trick as the switch gets more support than the sum of it's parts.

For Nintendo Switch? YES

Overall? Don't think so.

Lol, no.