Forums - Sales Discussion - Skyrim VR vs Skyrim Switch

Which one do you think will sell more?

PSVR 18 21.18%

Switch 56 65.88%

Almost the same 7 8.24%

Results 4 4.71%

Total:85

UPDATE

New numbers are in and just like I have expected, the VR verison outsold the Switch version at retail by now:

Skyrim VR Sales: 350k

Skyrim Switch Sales: 310k

Breakdown per week

Week VR Switch
1 109k 154k
2 162k 83k
3 76k 70k

So numbers for Skyrim VR retail and Switch are here.

In the first 2 days (Nov. 17th - 18th)

Skyrim VR: 110 k

Skyrim Switch: 155k

I would also expect the VR Version to have much higher digital sales because many people think swapping disc in VR is annoying and the switch has very limited onboard memory compared to the PS4(pro).

So I would expect both version to have sold very similar, maybe even higher on PSVR but we dont have any data there.

For that time, the PSVR installed HW base was less then 2 Mio and Switch was at ~7 Mio.

What do you think about those numbers? 

Last edited by habam - on 23 January 2018

Around the Network

I was surprised that Skyrim VR sold so well. But Bethesda deserved these sells since they took a risk put the game on both systems. I wished that other big companies would do the same.

I wonder how this will look like in the long-therm.

Its also annoying as hell carrying a load of switch games about, so i could definately see Switch having good digital sales too. I reckon Switch version is higher. BTW where did you get the Data from?

XD84 said:
I was surprised that Skyrim VR sold so well. But Bethesda deserved these sells since they took a risk put the game on both systems. I wished that other big companies would do the same.

I wonder how this will look like in the long-therm.

Not to surprising considering that 13% across ALL Resident Evil 7 (ps4, xbox one and pc) owners have played the game with PSVR

http://www.residentevil.net/en/sevenrecord.html

They have 380k PSVR players but that number does only count the people that actually agreed to share their data. So all in all, the game will most likely have 600-800k PSVR players which is pretty impressive. The % of VR players does also increase (was around 10% at release), which is extremy impressive considering the game is so far only playable with the PSVR headsets so PC and Xbox One player dont even have the chance to play it in vr (how big might the VR % be if the game would also work on rift/vive and on Xbox with Mixed Reality)?. 

Nogamez said:
Its also annoying as hell carrying a load of switch games about, so i could definately see Switch having good digital sales too. I reckon Switch version is higher. BTW where did you get the Data from?

Yeah its hard to estimated. I havnt bought a SD card yet so I get all my Switch games physically but I even do the same for PS4/VR (mainly to be able to sell them if I want to). I still dont think that the big majority of switch owners actually bought a SD card (more the hardcore gamers?) and I would expect the switch to have a overall younger playerbase (more chield friendly) and expect more physically sales for kids (scicne they dont have credit cards and such). The PSVR is still jsut for people 14+. But we cant know for sure.

The data is from this website: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/43058/Global/

Around the Network
habam said:
Nogamez said:

Yeah its hard to estimated. I havnt bought a SD card yet so I get all my Switch games physically but I even do the same for PS4/VR (mainly to be able to sell them if I want to). I still dont think that the big majority of switch owners actually bought a SD card (more the hardcore gamers?) and I would expect the switch to have a overall younger playerbase (more chield friendly) and expect more physically sales for kids (scicne they dont have credit cards and such). The PSVR is still jsut for people 14+. But we cant know for sure.

The data is from this website: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/43058/Global/

According to nintendo the average switch owner is in their 30s i think i read somewhere!!! Dont know how true that is though lol. 

Nogamez said:

According to nintendo the average switch owner is in their 30s i think i read somewhere!!! Dont know how true that is though lol. 

Well i could see that beeing true for the launch period (not many kids just can buy a switch in march). First few millions where most likely old nintendo fans that grew up with NES/Gameboy and co.

But now after xmas, I dont think it will be true scince the switch was very likely a great presents for millions of kids 

habam said:
Nogamez said:

Well i could see that beeing true for the launch period (not many kids just can buy a switch in march). First few millions where most likely old nintendo fans that grew up with NES/Gameboy and co.

But now after xmas, I dont think it will be true scince the switch was very likely a great presents for millions of kids 

Haha true that i was one of those 30 somethings "kids" who bought one at launch. Mine was N64 nostalgia though. And BotW hype.

On a side note i had a psvr and sold it a few months after purchase,  wouldnt of minded trying Skyrim VR.

If those numbers are there or there abouts, there goes the Switch support from Bethesda.

Random_Matt said:
If those numbers are there or there abouts, there goes the Switch support from Bethesda.

Why? It's a five-six year old game at full price after the other versions have been heavily discounted for years. The fact it's doing well enough to merit the port is good enough for Bethesda, I bet the porting wasn't that expensive (no mods allowed and no real update for all the miriad of bugs still present).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.