By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Sells 5.9 Million Units Worldwide During 2017 Holiday Season, >73.6 Million Sold Through

zorg1000 said:
JRPGfan said:
Guys also:

PSN has >70m active users, and PS+ over >32m.

32m people all paying 50$ to play online each year....... ($_$)

I thought the article said PS+ is 31.5m

Resetera someone said 32m........ i nono.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:

Q4 might be a little tough to sell thru 5.4 million to hit their target of 79 by March 31, they must have a price cut this quarter.

For comparison's sake, according to our site, the PS4 sold 4,054,326 million units from January 1st to April 1st in 2017. Basically, 4.1 million if we round up.

If the PS4 is gonna sell an additional 1.3 million in that same timeframe, than yeah, they'd need to have either a price cut or a really big AAA exclusive launching in that time. God of War 4 is rumored to be an end of March title, plus there's Monster Hunter: World, which will do huge numbers in Japan. If they're doing 1 of the 2, than it has a chance, not a big one, but not a small one either. If they're doing both, I think it's a guarantee.

Yeah... We're not getting a PS5 until 2020.

32 Million are paying $50 for PS+?
That's $1.6 Billion, BILLION, a year. Just off of PS+.

Good God!

Train wreck said:

Q4 might be a little tough to sell thru 5.4 million to hit their target of 79 by March 31, they must have a price cut this quarter.

Wait, they expect to sell 5.4M from Jan to March? Errrr unless GOW helps such thing happen, it won't happen.

Edit : Wait I'm stupid. Afaik the 79M is shipped and with 73.6M sold, it's likely shipped 75M at the very least. 79M shipped is easy this quarter.

Around the Network

What’s sad is those 5.9 million are probably 3/4 of what MS sold in all of 2017.

PSN at >70m is actually bigger than STEAM! which has 67m active users..... O_o'

Farsala said:
zorg1000 said:
Great sales, i originally thought 2017 would be slightly down from 2016 considering 2016 was basically flat from 2015, im glad to be wrong this time

I expected every console to be down and the Switch to do well. Glad I was wrong on all accounts as every console seems to have kept up well, and the Switch sold better than I thought. And 2017 didn't really have any huge games.

quickrick said:
Farsala said:

I expected every console to be down and the Switch to do well. Glad I was wrong on all accounts as every console seems to have kept up well, and the Switch sold better than I thought. And 2017 didn't really have any huge games.

if you're talking about ps4, aside from COD, i agree. RDR2 could be the next big thing, especially if they start off with from the  people that brought you GTAV, that alone could sell a ton of consoles. then spiderman will be huge, as well as GOW.

I guess it depends on your definition of huge but PS4 had a bunch of big games.

Q1- Horizon: Zero Dawn, For Honor, Resident Evil 7, Ghost Recon, Ni-Oh, Nier Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda

Q2-Persona 5, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Prey, Crash Collection

Q3-Dragon Quest XI, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Madden, FIFA, NBA, Destiny 2

Q4-Shadow of War, Evil Within 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Assassin's Creed Origins, Call of Duty WWII, Star Wars Battlfront 2, Wolfenstein 2, Need for Speed

Alot of big games throughout the year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Farsala said:

quickrick said:

if you're talking about ps4, aside from COD, i agree. RDR2 could be the next big thing, especially if they start off with from the  people that brought you GTAV, that alone could sell a ton of consoles. then spiderman will be huge, as well as GOW.

Q1- Horizon: Zero Dawn, For Honor, Resident Evil 7, Ghost Recon, Ni-Oh, Nier Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda

Q4-Shadow of War, Evil Within 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Assassin's Creed Origins, Call of Duty WWII, Star Wars Battlfront 2, Wolfenstein 2, Need for Speed

Yup by huge I mean like a big new ip like Destiny did or GTA. To be up 2.7m without them is quite good. All those games did help, but it is likely the PS4 had similar amounts of games for the other years. Thus a big difference maker would be a new entry in a mega franchise.

zorg1000 said:
Farsala said:

quickrick said:

ps4 gets games like that almost every year. COD did much better then expected though. I think RDR2, and spiderman have the potential to sell a crazy amount of PS4's, especially if rockstar has a commercial showing from the creators of GTAV. GOW maybe could be huge as well, not too sure about that one.