By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Sells 5.9 Million Units Worldwide During 2017 Holiday Season, >73.6 Million Sold Through

Great sales, i originally thought 2017 would be slightly down from 2016 considering 2016 was basically flat from 2015, im glad to be wrong this time

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Didn’t have as strong of a holiday, but still a stronger year overall. Congrats Sony.

The limited stock for those 199,- PS4s definitely held them back. Plus many people planning to buy one last holiday, went for one of those BF deals, hence why December was a bit lower. Also don’t forget PSVR which also seemed quite popular.

thismeintiel said:
If they had just kept it at $199, or just had better bundles, they could have beat last year's holiday season. Oh well, they'll have more ammo to try to make this year their peak year. Maybe 21M-22M.

^ this....

Look how long MS choose to keep their Slim at 189$ and then 199$, overall much longer than the PS4slim was.
Sony choose to make $$$ this holiday instead of getting another 1-2m of sales.

They should have kept it at 199$ longer.

Awesome to see them cross the 20 million mark. Will be interesting to see how things play out in 2018. I think 2018 is a limbo year, as there will very likely be no new hardware, so it is going to come down to price cuts, software, and services to push sales higher. I think 2019 will be the peak with PS4 Super Slim, PS4 Pro Slim, and possibly PS4 Premium, and the outside chance of a PS4 Portable.

I think the big question for 2018 is, can they reach 1 Billion software sales?

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Awesome to see them cross the 20 million mark. Will be interesting to see how things play out in 2018. I think 2018 is a limbo year, as there will very likely be no new hardware, so it is going to come down to price cuts, software, and services to push sales higher. I think 2019 will be the peak with PS4 Super Slim, PS4 Pro Slim, and possibly PS4 Premium, and the outside chance of a PS4 Portable.

I think the big question for 2018 is, can they reach 1 Billion software sales?

They did like 244m last year (2017) and they did go from 53m to 73m+ users so.. in 2018 there will be more to sell too.

But to hit 1b in software sales, they need 355m sales... I dont think they will sell that much games next year, but it could get close ish.

You just need to convince the avg PS4 gamer to go out and all buy 4 games each :)

Then if they have another 20m year, it should be possible.

*edit:  Changed my mind... maybe this could actually happend, I want it to happend, so yes ofc it will :P

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 January 2018

Around the Network

A Y/Y increase will depend on how aggressive Sony is with their pricing next year. $199-229 for the PS4 with $179 Holiday 2018 should do it. I personally see 2017 as the peak year but next years decline with be on the small side, -4 to -5%

Last edited by Train wreck - on 08 January 2018

I think that this year we'll see the PS4 Slim's official price cut down to $249, probably to go along with a $279-299 bundle of one of their huge exclusives (God of War 4 or Spider-Man is my bet.)
Meanwhile, the PS4 Pro will get a price cut down to $299 a short time afterwards. Then, for the holiday season, they'll do a massive Black Friday sale like they did this wear with the PS4 Slim at $149 and the PS4 Pro at $199, leading to a peak year of around 22-23 million.

great sales, but december seemed like weak month.

quickrick said:
great sales, but december seemed like weak month.

Black friday was nuts, but they didnt have stock enough.....

December was weak, they wherent aggressive with bundles & prices.

If sony had wanted they probably could have ended this year another 2m higher or so.

Is it likely that PS4 will get a permanent price cut to $199 this year?

Im leaning more towards $249 permanently with $199 during the holidays again.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.