By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Sells 5.9 Million Units Worldwide During 2017 Holiday Season, >73.6 Million Sold Through

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

I guess it depends on your definition of huge but PS4 had a bunch of big games.

Q1- Horizon: Zero Dawn, For Honor, Resident Evil 7, Ghost Recon, Ni-Oh, Nier Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda

Q2-Persona 5, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Prey, Crash Collection

Q3-Dragon Quest XI, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Madden, FIFA, NBA, Destiny 2

Q4-Shadow of War, Evil Within 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Assassin's Creed Origins, Call of Duty WWII, Star Wars Battlfront 2, Wolfenstein 2, Need for Speed

Alot of big games throughout the year.

ps4 gets games like that almost every year. COD did much better then expected though. I think RDR2, and spiderman have the potential to sell a crazy amount of PS4's, especially if rockstar has a commercial showing from the creators of GTAV. GOW maybe could be huge as well, not too sure about that one. 

RDR2 will be massive, thats for sure

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

I guess it depends on your definition of huge but PS4 had a bunch of big games.

Q1- Horizon: Zero Dawn, For Honor, Resident Evil 7, Ghost Recon, Ni-Oh, Nier Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda

Q2-Persona 5, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Prey, Crash Collection

Q3-Dragon Quest XI, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Madden, FIFA, NBA, Destiny 2

Q4-Shadow of War, Evil Within 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Assassin's Creed Origins, Call of Duty WWII, Star Wars Battlfront 2, Wolfenstein 2, Need for Speed

Alot of big games throughout the year.

ps4 gets games like that almost every year. COD did much better then expected though. I think RDR2, and spiderman have the potential to sell a crazy amount of PS4's, especially if rockstar has a commercial showing from the creators of GTAV. GOW maybe could be huge as well, not too sure about that one. 

I never understand when people want to point to a particular year and then list games that come out every year like fifa, Madden, cod, and forza.  Those are constants and don’t require listing when trying to differentiate years 

I am Iron Man

JRPGfan said:

PSN at >70m is actually bigger than STEAM! which has 67m active users..... O_o'

No, according to MS Live is the largest network. Well, they were boasting about that until Sony shortly after released their numbers.

zorg1000 said: 
Is it likely that PS4 will get a permanent price cut to $199 this year?

Im leaning more towards $249 permanently with $199 during the holidays again.

Idk. Seems kinda weird for them to have it at $199 for Black Friday, and not cut it to that later the next year. If they only cut to $249, I think they'll be down this year. If they cut to $199, they'll either be flat or up this year. Unless the cut to $249 is very early this year and they run the $199 deal from BF through Dec. 

Impressive numbers. I am really excited to see PS4 vs. Switch this year.

As many people here said before: if Sony drops prices again and hits the shelves with attractive bundles throug the year, especially in the Holiday Season '18, I'd really dare to bet PS4 beating 100 million consoles sold by 31th December, 2018. What is actually my official bet for this year.

On a sidenote, it's a bit tragic to see that Microsoft totally lost it this generation. A strong competition on a same level between Sony and Microsoft would have been staggering.

As I posted on ResetERA

Week before Black Friday: 67.7M
Black Friday Week + Cyber Monday Week: 2.9M / 70.6M
Last 4 weeks of December: 3M / 73.6M

PS4 sold 5.9M between Black Friday week and the end of December, so the week before BF was at 67.7M

PS4 was at 70.6M after Cyber Monday week, so Black Friday week and Cyber Monday week totaled 2.9M.

That leaves 3M for the next 4 weeks of December.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Around the Network

$249+game this year, only $249 is an unofficial price in 2017

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
quickrick said:

I never understand when people want to point to a particular year and then list games that come out every year like fifa, Madden, cod, and forza.  Those are constants and don’t require listing when trying to differentiate years 

I wasnt trying to differentiate years though, i said PS4 had alot of big games and listed them. It doesnt matter that those games are annual, they are still big.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Shadow1980 said:
Interesting. It sold 3M in 28 days (Dec. 4 - 31) this year, but 3.4M in 26 days (Dec. 7 - Jan. 1) last year. Despite being up overall YoY, it was down for the month of December by several hundred thousand units. The PS4 was about flat YoY in Japan. We haven't gotten NPD results for the U.S. yet, but given that December is always at least slightly up over November, it's likely up slightly YoY as well. That leaves Europe and the rest of the world to explain the difference.

Dec is usually bigger than Nov in the US but we have remember that it had much better deals in Nov which led to a record month.

Its possible that the massive Nov stole sales from Dec and we are seeing a continuing trend of Nov gaining importance compared to Dec.

Errorist76 said:
CalmFire said:
Gonna be close to 100M by the end of next year.

Easily spring, more likely. Or did you mean THIS year?! That’s definitely still possible..Spider-Man alone could make that happen.

Oh, sorry.  I meant this year. :P

JRPGfan said:
Guys also:

PSN has >70m active users, and PS+ over >32m.

32m people all paying 50$ to play online each year....... ($_$)

PAOerfulone said:

32 Million are paying $50 for PS+?
That's $1.6 Billion, BILLION, a year. Just off of PS+.

Good God!

Got to keep in mind when PS+ went on sale.  It was $40 in US during the holidays.  1 year is also $60 MSRP now and not all the subs bought 1 year.  There are just too many factors to try and get an estimate of the money accrued from PS+.

At the very least, however, I think we can comfortably say it would be a very large amount. :P