By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Just Venting about Sonic Forces

Sonic hasn't been great since........Sonic has never been great.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
This got me thinking....

Considering that Sonic games are still made after two decades of sucking, we know that the Sonic name is still very valuable. Its the only thing that can still be creating sales of the games. And, the games are obviously selling well enough that Sega finds it worthwhile to make them. So, imagine what the franchise could be like if they could make a few good games over a 5ish year period. They would have mega-budgets (if necessary), merchandise tie-ins, and all of the other stuff that goes along with major gaming IPs. But, no. Sega has allowed Sonic Team to abuse this beloved franchise.

My fear is that rather than give the franchise to a better development team, they'll shelve it completely. They obviously haven't learned their lesson for 20 years. Why would they suddenly get smart about it?

They won't shelve it. Sonic Mania made a killing. 

Nem said:

I know they won't shelve it right now.  

My worry is long term.  Nobody can tolerate flops forever.  So, lets say the next Sonic Team game sucks, and the Mania guys make another and it's no good.  That'll be 3 flops in a row.  What happens then?  What about 5 consecutive shit games?  At some point, the IP is put on ice.  And, seeing as they've allowed Sonic Team to make garbage for two decades, who's to say they're going to give someone else a try before we get to that point?

KLXVER said:

Nonsense.

Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD are all classic platformers, and Sonic Mania is one of the best games of 2017.

Simpleton said:
KLXVER said:

Nonsense.

Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD are all classic platformers, and Sonic Mania is one of the best games of 2017.

Some people say Resident Evil and Silent Hill are still fun to play on the PS1.

I like Cliffhanger on the SNES. 

Its all nostalgia. 

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Nem said:

I know they won't shelve it right now.  

My worry is long term.  Nobody can tolerate flops forever.  So, lets say the next Sonic Team game sucks, and the Mania guys make another and it's no good.  That'll be 3 flops in a row.  What happens then?  What about 5 consecutive shit games?  At some point, the IP is put on ice.  And, seeing as they've allowed Sonic Team to make garbage for two decades, who's to say they're going to give someone else a try before we get to that point?

Oh yes, the series has been dying the slow death, much like the Tales series.

Mediocre game after mediocre game and then some fans saying they like the mediocrity. It's the road to a franchises death. It's sad to me that such fans can't see that that kind of feedback will only lead to the end.

But, the thing is, 2D Sonic in mega drive style is still the best. Man, i'd be happy with just more levels, gimmicks and playable characters of that for 10 more games. At least they would be good games. But yeah, my opinion is that once Naka left Sonic Team lost it's way. Naka was the design/gameplay guy. Izuka is the creative guy. He doesn't know s**t about making a good game to this day. They gave him so many tries, he managed to make a couple that stuck, but he has no clue what he is doing. Also the boost formula has to go. On-rails died a long time ago. SA2 is more advanced gameplay wise than any of the Sonic games made since. You could actually feel the physics of moving Sonic. It still needs improving, but they had a strong basis there and just threw it away.

This game is so average and offensive that it's bad. In a year where Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic Mania exists. Pathetic.

If a team can come out and make yooka laylee form no where it really baffles me how they keep making Sonic so shit.

Yeah I had to review it, it's pretty bad. It's like a hodgepodge of 4 or 5 different styles/mechanics and the game just doesn't really know what it wants to be. Sonic Mania has been more enjoyable in every other aspect aside from its visuals so far.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Until Sega releases a new console, 3D Sonic is going to suck. I can't explain why or how it happened, but it just... IS.