By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Just Venting about Sonic Forces

KLXVER said:
Sonic hasn't been great since........Sonic has never been great.

The Genesis games are fun platformers with great music, but to me all fun is lost once the game gets fast - I never saw why people liked it that way.

...but for the most part, yeah, Sonic never was great.

Around the Network
Xen said:
KLXVER said:

The Genesis games are fun platformers with great music, but to me all fun is lost once the game gets fast - I never saw why people liked it that way.

IGN would be proud of you guys.

Totally disagree though. The speed wasn't uncontrollable. You could jump, you could slow down, find a different path or go slowly. It had a depth and skill to it, like all the good 2D games. The controls and graphics at the time were much better than super mario world, so you can only say that if you are biased or didn't live it. Sonic was great during the Genesis/Mega drive era. You just have to look at the sales numbers for a number 2 console to see that. Sonic 2 sold 6M in one system. Sonic 3&K is one of the best games ever made imo.

Sonic CD was very innovative aswell, bringing animated intro and ending movies, something that we hadn't seen until the mega CD launched and the time travel mechanic that meant that every level had 3 versions. Yes, Sonic has been great and innovate before.

Heck, Sonic mania is a great game, i don't know how you guys can say that looking at the reviews scores.

Nowadays though? Yes, this Sonic team has been running him to the ground.

Last edited by Nem - on 07 January 2018

Weren't you the same guy rambling in multiple threads about how Sonic Forces was getting unfair scores that proved a bias against Sonic because it was scoring mediocrely whilst being way better than Sonic 06? Could have sworn...

Nem said:
Xen said:

Totally disagree though. The speed wasn't uncontrollable. You could jump, you could slow down, find a different path or go slowly. It had a depth and skill to it, like all the good 2D games. The controls and graphics at the time were much better than super mario world, so you can only say that if you are biased or didn't live it. Sonic was great during the Genesis/Mega drive era. You just have to look at the sales numbers for a number 2 console to see that. Sonic 2 sold 6M in one system. Sonic 3&K is one of the best games ever made imo.

I can agree about the graphics being objectively superior to SMW, but IMO SMW has the superior art direction. 

...anyway, while much of the game is indeed controllable and there are lots of secrets, there are lots of "fast" parts and they ruin the experience for me - how can one enjoy the game if one barely sees the game? The controls in SMW as more precise as well, there is not one negative thing I can say about them.

Xen said:
Nem said:

I can agree about the graphics being objectively superior to SMW, but IMO SMW has the superior art direction. 

...anyway, while much of the game is indeed controllable and there are lots of secrets, there are lots of "fast" parts and they ruin the experience for me - how can one enjoy the game if one barely sees the game? The controls in SMW as more precise as well, there is not one negative thing I can say about them.

Art direction is up to preference really. SMW looks like a childs drawing and thats alright, but the Sonic levels were far richer imo. 

I always thought 2D mario to be extremely slippery. Ididn't feel in control at all, wich is why i always prefered Sonic. Theres just more stuff going on. But, these are our personal opinions. From sales, feature innovation and review scores it is undeniable that Sonic used to be great. Unfortunely it hasn't remained that way. 

Around the Network

if this game had Uganda Sonic and Uganda Knuckles.. i'm sure it would be a masterpiece

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
KLXVER said:

Xen said:
KLXVER said:

With you guys on this. Video game bubblegum.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

It's funny how there were two Sonic games this past year, one was superb and received amazing critics, the other was disastrous. You'd gess the big team, with more resources and experience would do the better game, right? Well, it seems it wasn't the case... SEGA should definitely consider giving the Sonic brand to the small, talented team that made Sonic Mania, and disolve or rename Sonic Team and give them the opportunity to try with some other brands.

SEGA should let the Mania team take the helm at this point.

I enjoyed Forces at times, but in a nutshell, it's essentially an endless runner that comes to an end.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Weren't you the same guy rambling in multiple threads about how Sonic Forces was getting unfair scores that proved a bias against Sonic because it was scoring mediocrely whilst being way better than Sonic 06? Could have sworn...

Nope I had low expectations for this game since it was announced