By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For non VR players. Are you interested and if so what headset?

Planning on a Vive Purchase 4 4.76%

Planning on an oculus purchase 1 1.19%

Planning on a PSVR purchase 20 23.81%

Mobile VR for me. 0 0%

Waiting for a new iterati... 16 19.05%

Waiting on games. 4 4.76%

Don't have the money but want to buy into VR 6 7.14%

Not interested. 33 39.29%

Total:84

I will buy whatever hits my price range first (Sub $199).  It will probably be one available on PC since I have to build a relatively powerful rig for work anyways (Im planning to study 3D animation).

I have already tried one of the mobile versions and I was impressed.  I figure that if this low quality version impressed me, then all of the others must blow me away.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
TallSilhouette said:

Did I miss something? What are you referring to?

Microsoft has gone under the radar here but are doing something pretty smart IMO. In the fall creators update for Windows 10,they included software for VR capabilities. Several hardware developers like Samsung, Lenovo, Dell and so on is then licensed to create VR headsets according to basic specs provided from Microsoft. The smart approach with these headsets is that you get access to windows in VR (you can wqatch movies, play Xbox One through PC. It´s not a complete experience yet but it´s getting there) and the headsets has cameras built in which means you don´t need an external setup to use them. Microsoft calls this "Mixed Reality" which is only PR talk, but they have a really intereting approach to this.

The headsets themselves are quite affordable aswell.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-mixed-reality

Problem is all of those headsets suck. Read some reviews. They are having mediocre screens, tracking problems and the lenses are garbage.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 06 January 2018

vivster said:
Errorist76 said:

The Pimax has a worse screen door than PSVR. Just saying. It’s not the resolution but the screen tech that’s important and PSVR has a better , more advanced screen.

No it doesn't. Screendoor comes through seeing individual pixels. No lens ever will artificially alter the size of pixels and the pixels in PSVR are gigantic. Pimax 8K resolves that problem for the most part by throwing a lot more pixels in your face. PSVR might have a slight edge over Oculus and Vive but it cannot compete against just a massive amount of tiny pixels.

You may be thinking of Pimax 4k, which is garbage.

No man, I’m talking about the fact that the PSVR uses an RGB panel with three sub-pixels per pixel, which greatly reduces the screen door effect. None of the other headsets use that technology yet. 

And no, I’m talking about the 8K. A higher resolution doesn’t eliminate the screen door...it even makes it seem more pronounced, according to Tested. The screen door doesn’t come from seeing the individual pixels, but the borders between them!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/714q46/tested_review_of_pimax_8k_has_me_completely/

S.Peelman said:
No, I don't want to stand around with a huge brick on my head. And from what I've seen the software is all gimmick so the novelty would wear off fast for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHUomtWDxI

Please pay attention to the minute 3:03

Gaming is already closed off enough as it is. I enjoy playing multiplayer with friends and sipping beer while my wife and I share games after work.

I really love sitting on the couch, or in bed, or on the porch, or in a hammock and playing a game. A Switch is a dream come true in that regard. I really love being less tethered, and have no interest in going in the opposite direction.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

No interest whatsoever. I don't need or want a pointless contraption covering my head when I play video games. I much prefer playing on an actual TV or computer screen while sitting on a comfortable chair or a sofa.

What I don’t understand is why some people seem to think VR is here to replace traditional gaming?! It’s a breath of fresh air, and additional way to play and experience things.

Yesterday a played the VR DLC from Rise of the Tomb Raider. I never really cared about Lara Croft‘s character, but it was so well done and experiencing this creepy manor as if I was there, was an amazing experience, which made me really want to play the whole game.

Or Bound....a nice game without VR, but really being next to this girl and in this abstract moving world constantly sends shivers down my spine. It’s so much more emotionally moving and intense, especially with the according 3D Sound.

I don’t think I need to explain how it feels to really BE in Skyrim, or drive a Cobra around the Nürburgring in GTS.

Would I want to play all my games in VR?! Probably not, but as an addition it’s the best thing that has happened to gaming since the PS1, at least to me!

I still also want a Switch, badly...but having my PSVR and people being able to watch what I see on my TV, or even play against me, has made gaming more social to me than in the recent years. Can’t remember when I had my friends come over for a round of gaming before that.

John2290 said:
Puppyroach said:

Microsoft has gone under the radar here but are doing something pretty smart IMO. In the fall creators update for Windows 10,they included software for VR capabilities. Several hardware developers like Samsung, Lenovo, Dell and so on is then licensed to create VR headsets according to basic specs provided from Microsoft. The smart approach with these headsets is that you get access to windows in VR (you can wqatch movies, play Xbox One through PC. It´s not a complete experience yet but it´s getting there) and the headsets has cameras built in which means you don´t need an external setup to use them. Microsoft calls this "Mixed Reality" which is only PR talk, but they have a really intereting approach to this.

Seems the PSVR headset design is the standard now, at least we now that. I like the idea of having multiple headsets in the same way you would buy a laptop or PC however I think this will lead to an unbalanced experience and lock people out of content in the same way PC games do with specs. It can't grow like this to MASS market appeal in the same way others like Day dream have the possibility of doing. 

That's never really stopped people from tuning their settings for what preferences they have. it's also never stopped them from upgrading their systems either, the same way nothing has stopped people from grabbing the Pro or X1X either.

I think the real locking threat, would be locking the games to specific headsets and platform.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

John2290 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
not interested.

Wow. Blunt. Why?

Mostly because I haven't paid any attention to VR. It basically doesn't exist in my mind. 

Errorist76 said:
Puppyroach said:

Problem is all of those headsets suck. Read some reviews. They are having mediocre screens, tracking problems and the lenses are garbage.

That is not a correct statement. The base resolution of the screens is higher than HTC Vive, PSVR and Oculus rift, and by a wide margin when it comes to Samsungs HMD odyssey. The quality of the lenses depend on manufacturer, once again the Samsung HMD odyssey has very high quality lenses and uses OLED displays with 1440*1600p resolution per eye at 90Hz, while the low spec . There hasn´t been any problem with the tracking in itself, just the range of it. Since they have inside-out tracking and don´t depend on external sensors, they are dependent on where those sensors sit on the headsets. The range is lacking right now but this is the first hardware iteration and it will ofcourse improve in coming generations.