By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is PS4 the first console to sell like this without a fad?

quickrick said:
jlauro said:

Nintendo plans to sell 14 million units of the switch with motion controls in it's first year (March 2017 to March 2018).  I am seeing it as core for Nintendo.  They didn't make it core to the Wii U, and how well did that do...

motion controls is not whats selling the switch. its selling a little better then 3ds because, its actually a handheld with descent tech, and its also nintendo next home console. with a very strong library of games   

Maybe true about handheld hybrid boosting sales more than motion controls, but you are stretching it if you say it's a strong library of games...  It's improving, but far from what I would consider strong (yet).  I consider it far worse than the Wii U at the same point in time.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
twintail said:

Thats an incredibly simplistic view, but sure the X1 reveal did play some part.

I agree. The X1 reveal played a role, no doubt, but that's hardly the reason the situation is still so lopsided. For starters, PlayStation and Xbox just aren't on the same playing field. At least, not around the world. The former is just a much, much bigger brand. Couple that with the fact that a plethora of exclusive games gives many incentives to continue to pick up a machine and there you have it (this will also benefit the Switch in a massive way). 

Thus, to answer the question, the previous PlayStation victories were hardly about a "fad". It's just a brand that always has so much to play and resonates with people extremely well around the world.

That's essentially the biggest reason. 
Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo are all strong brands of hardware and all of those names resonate and are widely recognized. But it's to software that pushes that brand of hardware forward and helps it evolve. 

That's why all of Nintendo's handhelds have been very popular and consistent money makers because no other hardware out there has Mario and Pokemon in its library (mainline, anyways).

That's why Sony was able to turn the ship around when the PS3 got off to a slow start and eventually overtake the 360, because of games and franchises like Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Last of Us, God of War, LittleBigPlanet, etc. that have become synonymous with not just PlayStation but with gaming. Those franchises were able to turn the tide in the PS3's favor and it gathered momentum that just kept on building and building to where Sony is at now with PS4. 

Meanwhile, you look at Microsoft, they don't have any extensive library of exclusive games that can push the brand forward or that is synonymous with Xbox and gaming. Certainly nowhere near the level of Sony or Nintendo, at the very least. That's why they're currently dead last this year in their biggest market, the U.S.. Not only are they not the #1 system in their own home market, they're not even the #2 system.

Halo, Gears of War and Forza aren't going to cut. Not when Nintendo is expanding and making more franchises and not just sticking to Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda; Not when Sony is expanding and making more franchises and not just sticking to Uncharted, Gran Turismo, and God of War. 

jlauro said:
quickrick said:

motion controls is not whats selling the switch. its selling a little better then 3ds because, its actually a handheld with descent tech, and its also nintendo next home console. with a very strong library of games   

Maybe true about handheld hybrid boosting sales more than motion controls, but you are stretching it if you say it's a strong library of games...  It's improving, but far from what I would consider strong (yet).  I consider it far worse than the Wii U at the same point in time.

for a nintendo console it sure is. when has nintedo ever released so many heavy hitters on year, with this much critical acclaim, probably never. 

jlauro said:
quickrick said:

Woah hold on. You’re saying the Wii U same time frame of 9 months had better games than the switch? Everyone knows after launch there was practically nothing to play on Wii U. Switch already has Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW, Mario kart 8 DX, Splatoon 2, arms, Mario rabbids, and a number of third party titles. Wii U only ever got ports Assassin creed 3, Batman Arkham, tekken tag 2, and ninja gaiden 3 at launch. After that most third party games dried up. 

The switch’s library is much better for the same point in time. 

UltimateGamer1982 said:
jlauro said:

Woah hold on. You’re saying the Wii U same time frame of 9 months had better games than the switch? Everyone knows after launch there was practically nothing to play on Wii U. Switch already has Mario Odyssey, Zelda BotW, Mario kart 8 DX, Splatoon 2, arms, Mario rabbids, and a number of third party titles. Wii U only ever got ports Assassin creed 3, Batman Arkham, tekken tag 2, and ninja gaiden 3 at launch. After that most third party games dried up. 

It also had the Wii's library (although some requiring you to also buy a wii controller).  Plus, other Wii U titles you are skipping like  Super Mario Bros U, Nano Assult Neo, Mass Effect 3, Rabbids Land.  Basically, neither was that great, and the switch line up is many times better now than it was at launch.  You are forgetting that many of those you mentioned for the switch were not a launch (but near launch, and I am mentioning some on wii u that were in 4 month launch window).

Around the Network
jlauro said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

It also had the Wii's library (although some requiring you to also buy a wii controller).  Plus, other Wii U titles you are skipping like  Super Mario Bros U, Nano Assult Neo, Mass Effect 3, Rabbids Land.  Basically, neither was that great, and the switch line up is many times better now than it was at launch.  You are forgetting that many of those you mentioned for the switch were not a launch (but near launch, and I am mentioning some on wii u that were in 4 month launch window).

third party havent sold nintendo consoles since sup nes. nintendo consoles sell because nintendo  games.

Ganoncrotch said:

The PS4 is selling like this because of the X1 reveal. IMO.

That reveal was just an absolute disaster, they left the door wide open for Sony in all markets, even their tightly held US. So yeah... the PS4's Gimmick was Smartglass, TV integration, DDR3 memory, empty promises of cloud power (remember that?), always online, no more trading of games, Kinect always kinected (remember that?), moving all games from the console to Games for Windows Live 10, but yeah... for Sony the handy thing is, all those ideas were on the systems main rival.

I bought a PS3 after that reveal, and a PS4 soon after launch, after being a X360 fan all last gen.

I doubt this bro, if this were to be true then MS would have been able to fix it and take the lead back. Instead they continue to screw up all gen with a very poor library and no real direction or brand identity. The XB brand is lost right now, what does the brand represent? 

PS4 is huge because the library followed by the brand recognition outside of NA.

spurgeonryan said:
Without a fad? You mean like VR and the Pro added on?

Care to explain the first 3 years of the PS4's sales then? 

Also, mid-gen optional upgrades aren't a new fad. It's just primarily been a handheld thing (new3DS, PSP-2000, Gameboy Advanced SP, etc.)
Is VR a fad? I don't think so. I just think there's tons of room for improvement of that new tech.

4 ≈ One

1. Microsoft and their crazy policies, even though they reversed most before launch, created an air of negativity around the XO launch.  Most of the insults about its form factor and name and the whole “Xbox go home (you’re drunk)” videos that came out of their conference came because of that negativity

2. Ps4 was $100 cheaper until 6 months into launch for both

3. Sony didn’t make the mistakes they did with ps3.  The fact that ps3 and 360 essentially tied despite the killer combo of $200 price difference and a year difference in launch should have told you how this would turn out.  Granted I didn’t know it would be so lopsided because of point 1 and 2, but I kinda figured Sony would sell more.

4. Sony has had a steady stream of big games from day 1.  Hell they gave resogun for free and it was awesome!

5. Xbox has always been a very focused brand regionally and without that massive US lead the house of cards came crumbling down.  The 360 was essentially everything going right for the Xbox brand and therefore represents its ceiling.  Since they compete for a similar set of consumers Sony had more to sell to

I am Iron Man

loy310 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

The PS4 is selling like this because of the X1 reveal. IMO.

That reveal was just an absolute disaster, they left the door wide open for Sony in all markets, even their tightly held US. So yeah... the PS4's Gimmick was Smartglass, TV integration, DDR3 memory, empty promises of cloud power (remember that?), always online, no more trading of games, Kinect always kinected (remember that?), moving all games from the console to Games for Windows Live 10, but yeah... for Sony the handy thing is, all those ideas were on the systems main rival.

I bought a PS3 after that reveal, and a PS4 soon after launch, after being a X360 fan all last gen.

I doubt this bro, if this were to be true then MS would have been able to fix it and take the lead back. Instead they continue to screw up all gen with a very poor library and no real direction or brand identity. The XB brand is lost right now, what does the brand represent? 

PS4 is huge because the library followed by the brand recognition outside of NA.

Oh I'm just saying it's one of the reasons why the PS4 is doing so well, there are a ton of other reasons why the machine is doing great, but it does help when your competition comes out the door with a weight around its neck that they are trying to advertise as a feature for their users to enjoy.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive