By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Marvelous Marvel Rewatch (Now Playing: Avengers: Infinity War)

Best MCU sub-series?

Iron Man 1 3.03%

Thor 1 3.03%

Captain America 12 36.36%

The Avengers 9 27.27%

Guardians of the Galaxy 10 30.30%

Total:33
A_C_E said:
Alara317 said:
I think some people just hate 'SJW' films.

"What was that? a movie that has something of importance to say about diversity/sexism/etc? this is a personal attack on traditional values! I MUST DOWNVOTE IT!"

Or, you know, critics know what they're talking about and the public are comprised of fools. I mean, Trump was elected democratically, there must be a lot of stupid people out there.

Or Hilary wasn't elected, so there must be a lot of smart people out there. Both sides and all.

OT - BP was awesome!

Did you see the vote tallies? She got more votes than trump, sooooo...

62,985,134 for Trump

65,853,652 for Hilary

Around the Network
A_C_E said:
Alara317 said:
I think some people just hate 'SJW' films.

"What was that? a movie that has something of importance to say about diversity/sexism/etc? this is a personal attack on traditional values! I MUST DOWNVOTE IT!"

Or, you know, critics know what they're talking about and the public are comprised of fools. I mean, Trump was elected democratically, there must be a lot of stupid people out there.

Or Hilary wasn't elected, so there must be a lot of smart people out there. Both sides and all.

OT - BP was awesome!

Alara317 said:
A_C_E said:

OT - BP was awesome!

Did you see the vote tallies? She got more votes than trump, sooooo...

62,985,134 for Trump

65,853,652 for Hilary

I appreciate your passion for politics, but please continue this conversation via PM. I'd like to keep this thread focused on movies.

Naum said:
Really? I thought Black Panther was one of the weaker ones in the marvel universe.

Any interest in joining the rewatch?

Also at the poll, Iron Man better than The Avengers? Really? I love Iron Man, but it has too many flaws to ignore.

mZuzek said:
Teeqoz said:
Also at the poll, Iron Man better than The Avengers? Really? I love Iron Man, but it has too many flaws to ignore.

And Avengers doesn't?

It does, but fewer than the others.

But you think GotG vol. 2 is not only better than the first, but the best movie ever so what do you know

Around the Network

I really wanted to like Black Panther. I didn’t know much about the character from the comics, so it was a rare moment of going in with endless possibilities. And up until about halfway through the film, I had no idea where the story was going to go. And that was exciting. Sadly, I feel this origin story (yes, he appears in Civil War but this more fully immerses us in Black Panther’s world) suffers the same fate of as a lot of Marvel films. The third act just does not live up to the promise of the first two.

I will say the cast is amazing. I don’t think there was a miscast role in the bunch. The writing gives a few of the roles less, particularly the antagonist ones, very flimsy or nonexistent motivations, but the actors themselves do the material justice to the best of their ability. Particularly notable are the strong women that surround Black Panther, each with a distinct voice and makeup. The males (and even the lead) to a degree suffer a bit because the women almost overtake the film in terms of interest.

The action was hit and miss for me. The opening action sequence left me a little fearful for what we’ll get the rest of the film. You have a hero clad in black, attacking a convoy at night. In addition, there are so many quick, jarring cuts, you have no idea who is attacking whom and where everyone is in relation to the scene. I thought the waterfall and night club scenes were better executed and shot. And then of course the final boss battle is quite paltry and reminiscent of The Matrix Revolutions: two CGI characters battling through the air with little emotional weight or physical heft. This should be a fight full of passion, long-lost cousins battling for the fate of their nation. It’s perfunctory and lackluster and over so quickly as the film sprints to the end.

Finally, the plot. I’m not really sure what happened. There are so many plot lines introduced in the first half that have nothing to do with what happens in the back half. Killmonger has a rich backstory but it’s jettisoned almost as soon as he arrives in Wakanda to be the typical villain who wants to wage war on the world in the name of his people. But that second part is almost an afterthought. You have two possibilities. He sincerely wanted to do right by his people or he wanted to watch the world burn. He pays lip service to the former and Ross keeps talking about his tactics which leads to the latter. The movie muddles it so much it just leaves the character unfocused.

I was really hoping Sterling K. Brown was going to come back. I thought there was a more interesting conflict there about combatting Wakanda’s isolationism. Something that Nakia shared. They could so much good in the world except they’re afraid to show who they are. There’s a deeper conflict there which would not need to devolve into “let’s kill everyone!”

My other major grievance is W’Kabi, Black Panther’s supposedly best friend who immediately turns on his king the second someone shows up to challenge him. Never mind the fact he’s backing a guy whose father was indirectly responsible for his parents’ death which is the sole cause for his disillusionment with his king. “Your father did nothing for 30 years. Your first official act is to bring this monster to justice and you only failed because of my new best friend. I hate you!” It’s a horribly written part and a large part of my distaste for the last act. This whole mixup could be cleared with a conversation, like in the throne room. Before his best friend backs a coup and the rest of the council just shrugs it off.

Overall Black Panther was an enjoyable film. I was going to give it a 7, but after ruminating on it, I’m going to settle on 6/10. I could change my mind. I usually take at least two viewings to fairly judge a film. The first two-thirds are really enjoyable before a poorly plotted out third act which negates a lot of the foundation that had been established earlier in the film. That being said, I would most definitely go see a Black Panther sequel. It’s a fun world to be in. They just need a better story.

Current rankings:
1) Iron Man
2) The Avengers
3) The Incredible Hulk
4) Black Panther
5) Iron Man 3
6) Captain America: The First Avenger
7) Thor
8) Iron Man 2
Last edited by Doc755 - on 19 February 2018

mZuzek said:
Teeqoz said:

And Avengers doesn't?

Well, Avengers had everything great about Iron Man...plus it had Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and a good villain! 

soooo, my point is that really the only great thing about Iron Man was the title character. Just so happened to be one of the best portrayals of a comic book character ever! Avengers had that as well, plus more heroes and a villain worth cheering for. 

Alara317 said:
mZuzek said:

And Avengers doesn't?

Well, Avengers had everything great about Iron Man...plus it had Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and a good villain! 

soooo, my point is that really the only great thing about Iron Man was the title character. Just so happened to be one of the best portrayals of a comic book character ever! Avengers had that as well, plus more heroes and a villain worth cheering for. 

Any interest in joining the rewatch, Alara? The more the merrier :)

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Alara317 said:

Oh I was interested in the rewatch before this thread was created! I haven't successfully watched any becuase my job has kept me super busy, but still!

Alara317 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Oh I was interested in the rewatch before this thread was created! I haven't successfully watched any becuase my job has kept me super busy, but still!

Well, you are always welcome!