By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Marvelous Marvel Rewatch (Now Playing: Avengers: Infinity War)

Best MCU sub-series?

Iron Man 1 3.03%

Thor 1 3.03%

Captain America 12 36.36%

The Avengers 9 27.27%

Guardians of the Galaxy 10 30.30%

Total:33
The_Liquid_Laser said:
mZuzek said:

DUDE!

While I'm at it (SPOILERS):

Gwen Stacy dies, Bruce Willis is a ghost and Rosebud is a sled.   Now if you actually know the things that I am referring to, then I'm willing to bet that you already knew those spoilers.

Hey, can you cover those up? One is from a movie only four years old  

Also, scores updated to this point!

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

... Titanic sinks btw.

Hmm, pie.

So tried to post the Agents of SHIELD pilot review and the formatting on my phone is still off. Apologies!

Last edited by Doc755 - on 21 February 2018

So I rewatched the Agents of SHIELD pilot as it originally aired between Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World  my overall impression did not change. It’s serviceable. It introduces all the characters ably enough and sets some season-long arcs in motion. It’s just isn’t very attention grabbing. It does its job and sets up the series but it doesn’t pop and becomes forgettable quickly aside from a few lines. “I think there’s a bulb out” still being one of my favorites.

I will say it’s interesting to watch this knowing where all the characters are now. Fitz-Simmons are still the heart of the show. They were played largely for comic relief in the pilot, but I tend to care more for them now than anyone else. Sorry, Coulson! Ward and May are little more than their character log lines here, but do get deeper as the series went on. The funniest thing was Skye. She hasn’t changed that much in demeanor, but it was hilarious to see her go all fangirl over the superhero she found. That could have been an act to get him to trust her, but it had a kernel of truth to it.

One last thing the pilot reminded me of: I totally called the return of HYDRA. I didn’t call it during the actual pilot, but definitely in the first batch of episodes before Dark World premiered. Veknoid can back me up.

Last edited by Doc755 - on 21 February 2018

Doc755 said:

So I rewatched the Agents of SHIELD pilot as it originally aired between Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World. My overall impression did not change. It’s serviceable. It introduces all the characters ably enough and sets some season-long plot lines in motion. It just isn’t very attention grabbing. It does its job and sets up the series but it doesn’t pop and becomes forgettable quickly aside from a few lines. “I think there’s a bulb out” still being one of my favorites.

I will say it’s interesting to watch this knowing where all the characters are now. Fitz-Simmons are still the heart of the show. They were played largely for comic relief in the pilot, but I tend to care more for them than anyone else. Sorry, Coulson! Ward and May are still their log lines but do get deeper as the series went on. The funniest thing was Skye. She hasn’t changed that much in demeanor, but it was funny to see her go all fangirl over the superhero she discovered. That could have been an act but it had a kernel of truth to it.
One last thing this pilot reminded me of. I totally called the return of HYDRA. It wasn’t in the pilot but it was definitely in the first batch of episodes before Dark World came out. Veknoid can back me up.

Yeah, regrettably. I hate HYDRA.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Doc755 said:

So I rewatched the Agents of SHIELD pilot as it originally aired between Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World. My overall impression did not change. It’s serviceable. It introduces all the characters ably enough and sets some season-long plot lines in motion. It just isn’t very attention grabbing. It does its job and sets up the series but it doesn’t pop and becomes forgettable quickly aside from a few lines. “I think there’s a bulb out” still being one of my favorites.

I will say it’s interesting to watch this knowing where all the characters are now. Fitz-Simmons are still the heart of the show. They were played largely for comic relief in the pilot, but I tend to care more for them than anyone else. Sorry, Coulson! Ward and May are still their log lines but do get deeper as the series went on. The funniest thing was Skye. She hasn’t changed that much in demeanor, but it was funny to see her go all fangirl over the superhero she discovered. That could have been an act but it had a kernel of truth to it.
One last thing this pilot reminded me of. I totally called the return of HYDRA. It wasn’t in the pilot but it was definitely in the first batch of episodes before Dark World came out. Veknoid can back me up.

Yeah, regrettably. I hate HYDRA.

Hater! Yet somehow Winter Soldier is your all-time favorite film now or something. 🙄

Iron Man 3 - 3/10 - This was the first of the Marvel Studios movies I didn't enjoy. Iron man 2 was a step down from the original and this felt like a further step down. Iron man's major issues has been lack of compelling foil as an adversary. It's always a mirror of Stark and I thought we'd go somewhere new with the Mandarin, his arch nemesis, only to find it played as a joke. After years of seeing comics embraced, this felt like a step backward to being embarrassed by the source material again.

Black Panther - N/A - unable to see, sold out everywhere, maybe someday.

Thor: the Dark World - 8/10 - In minority, but I really enjoyed the world and creature design. Liked the Dark Elves and the whole concept of their ambition to return the universe to what is was for them long ago. I also found the triangle of Thor/Loki/Malekith and how it went further into the brother's relationship. Got a lot of fun silver age vibes with right touch of drama to make me care. I agree the romance aspects could have been left out, but fun in Asgard overrode issues I had about Midgard.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

While I'm at it (SPOILERS):

Gwen Stacy dies, Bruce Willis is a ghost and Rosebud is a sled.   Now if you actually know the things that I am referring to, then I'm willing to bet that you already knew those spoilers.

Also, scores updated to this point!

Sorry, I was thinking of the comic book. (If you are a comic nerd, it is the most well known spoiler of all.)  Also I can't believe that movie is only 4 years old.  It somehow feels like it was eons ago.

Thor: The Dark World

I watched this movie yesterday, and somehow I like it even less this time.  As always there are spoilers below.

Pluses:

There are a few characters I like.  Heimdall is so awesome that he should have his own movie.  Odin: "Why did you call me here?"  Heimdall: "Treason my lord."  Odin: "Whose?"  Heimdall: "Mine."  That is my favorite dialogue in the whole movie.  This movie needs less Thor and more Heimdall.  I also like Darcy and her intern.  Loki is a plus too, as always.  That's about it.

This is the first time we really have the infinity stones explained to us in any way, which makes this movie important for continuity reasons.

I liked all of the messed physics caused by the convergence, like the floating cars and stuff.

Minuses:

I originally thought all the weird physics was caused by the Aether, the reality stone.  Now that I've rewatched the film, they clearly say it was the convergence causing this.  So now I have no idea what the reality stone does.  It's just like this weird misty stuff that infects people or something.  I mistakenly thought it was a lot cooler than it really is, so now I am disappointed.

My biggest gripe is that I really do not care a thing about this movie.  There is just no reason for me to give a damn.  I don't care about the plot or most of the characters.  I remember getting an hour in and thinking, "I think this is when the good part is finally going to start."  Nope.  There is no good part.  I just keep waiting for the movie to get good and it never does.

Overall, Thor: The Dark World is important to the continuity of the MCU, but as a standalone film it is totally skippable.

4/10

too lazy to write a long review so here
Iron man 3 9/10:-
I have no problem with the plot twist and this is my favourite of the trilogy
black panther-7/10:-
wakanda and killmonger are great, best villain imo, but the setup takes a bit too long and killmonger is in it a bit less than I like, they raise an issue and dont carry it completely through ,instead becoming a take the kingdom fight at the end, though the Idea is great, they should have given more attention to it and the CGI felt off in certain scenes.
thor 2- 3/10 probably the most boring MCU movie Ive ever seen