By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are the odds of Nintendo allowing mods for Skyrim?

KrspaceT said:

We exist in the age where Nintendo is open to cross platform play more than Sony, and as Sony doesn't allow mods....

Sony does allow mods, they're just limited to existing assets, which puts them way behind Xbox in terms of scope and diversity.  It's certainly better than nothing, however.

If Nintendo were to approve mods, it would probably be along the lines of Sony's approach.  Existing assets means much less chance of someone sneaking in highly adult or copyrighted material.  It also keeps file size much lower.

Miyamotoo said:
I think that's more to Bethesda that to Nintendo.

Bethesda wants mods, it's one of their selling points.  If they haven't even mentioned it that it's probably because Nintendo either gave them a firm "no" or asked them not to talk about it at this point.  The only other scenario I can imagine is that Bethesda concluded that it's not feasible from a resources or technology standpoint.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Miyamotoo said:
I think that's more to Bethesda that to Nintendo.

Bethesda wants mods, it's one of their selling points.  If they haven't even mentioned it that it's probably because Nintendo either gave them a firm "no" or asked them not to talk about it at this point.  The only other scenario I can imagine is that Bethesda concluded that it's not feasible from a resources or technology standpoint.

If they wanted mods on Switch hardly that Nintendo would said them no from any reason, I mean they even gaved support for cross play that Sony refuses.

Miyamotoo said:
pokoko said:

If they wanted mods on Switch hardly that Nintendo would said them no from any reason, I mean they even gaved support for cross play that Sony refuses.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say there.

Regardless, allowing cross play doesn't automatically mean they'll allow mods.  They are very different things and I see no reason to assume that one equals the other.

As for Bethesda, they've been pushing hard for many years to get mods on consoles.  Is it possible they decided not to pursue that on Switch?  Sure, but I find that hard to imagine outside of technical reasons.  

My own opinion is that Nintendo probably has the same issue Sony allegedly had, which is the matter of curation and supervision.  Bethesda doesn't check content or quality beforehand.  Rather, they trust in the community to report or downvote anything not good.  That means tasteless, nonfunctional, or even game damaging junk can be uploaded.  I just can't see Nintendo giving that the okay.

pokoko said:
Miyamotoo said:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say there.

Regardless, allowing cross play doesn't automatically mean they'll allow mods.  They are very different things and I see no reason to assume that one equals the other.

As for Bethesda, they've been pushing hard for many years to get mods on consoles.  Is it possible they decided not to pursue that on Switch?  Sure, but I find that hard to imagine outside of technical reasons.  

My own opinion is that Nintendo probably has the same issue Sony allegedly had, which is the matter of curation and supervision.  Bethesda doesn't check content or quality beforehand.  Rather, they trust in the community to report or downvote anything not good.  That means tasteless, nonfunctional, or even game damaging junk can be uploaded.  I just can't see Nintendo giving that the okay.

Maybe you're right..

Even if they allow it, the Switch probably couldn't handle it.

Around the Network

Doubt it, sadly. Skyrim is best on PC.

SpokenTruth said:
Teeqoz said:
Even if they allow it, the Switch probably couldn't handle it.

Aside from limited storage, there is no reason it can't handle mods.  That really doesn't require any additional power unless your mods use higher resolution assets.

I've heard many increase RAM usage, but just from experience on PC, many reduce performance.

I believe Bethesda said they are hoping they can add mods to the Switch version sometime in the future. But they have a lot to work around to achieve it. I don’t believe Nintendo has a problem with it.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Some mods do require more performance from the console. The more mods you run the slower the frame rate gets at times. It obviously needs more cpu and gpu resources when you add extra elements to the gameplay and need additonal rendering. Switch would be fine for just changing textures and sound effects but if you give it additional tasks for the game engine to do surely its going to be difficult.

I don't think it needs it anyway. It looks to be a nice version and mods can be fun but there is so much content with Skyrim anyway. Tried out a few mods on the xbox one version of Fallout 4. Frame rate dropped significantly under heavy load and game become less stable. It was fun but in the end I went back to the standard game. I feel mods are best done on PC where you can have a PC capable of actually running the game easily and any additional requirements of the mods can be handled by the PC. PS4 and Xbox one have the games pretty much optimised to run as well as possible so when you introduce mods it can have a very negative effect on gameplay smoothness this would be even worse on Switch. Just don't see the point unless its merely textures and sound.

caffeinade said:
No chance.
The Switch does not have a large enough pool of storage and Nintendo does not have the infrastructure.

And it is just not Nintendo's style.

The Switch actually has an expandable memory. It is odd that people don’t know about this since it is as obvious a feature as the fact that it can use retail game cards.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.