By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

TheDarkShape said:
thismeintiel said:

The Last Jedi, a movie that has greatly disappointed, or even angered, a great many of fans of the Star Wars saga, has just dropped a massive 69% WOW.  This is much worse than many were predicting, regardless of what they claim now.  It is much worse than the mere 40% that The Force Awakens fell.  Much worse than the ~50% other $200M+ openers did.  Even worse than the poorly received Justice League, which fell 56%.  TLJ is now $175M behind TFA after just 9 days.

Hope you sold enough Porg dolls to make up for it Disney.

Christmas Eve killed Sunday's box office, hurting the drop.  The last time the holidays shook out this way (i.e. Christmas Eve on a Sunday, Christmas on a Monday, etc.) was in 2006, and The Pursuit of Happyness - a super leggy hit - fell 44% over the same weekend.  

Using 2006 as a barometer for New Years weekend, everything will increase.  (i.e. PoH made $14m over Christmas weekend and $19m over New Years; Eragon made $7m over Christmas and $9m over New Years, etc.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=roguevforce.htm

Rogue one had a drop on its second weekend(also Had Christmas Eve on the weekend) but it's drop wasn't nearly this big.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:
Goodnightmoon said:

What the fuck are you talking about dude? When have I said any of that? I have never been a huge fan of Marvel, I like some of their movies and I feel meh about others, I like many classic Disney movies and I dislike many others, how does that makes me a marvel/Disney fanboy? I have never hate the original characters of SW and I have always loved the universe, is beyond pathetic to read comments like this just because I liked the movie, I have a degree in audiovisual comunications, I have been working for years as a camera and director assisting and I have watched the old trilogy multiple times, why the fuck do you have to act like you know more than me just because you hated the movie?

You clearly seemed a fan of Disney/Marvel on the other thread, and that's especially this crowd that like TLJ, not the Star Wars fans. If you like the old Star Wars characters, you couldn't tolerate what they did to Luke.

If you cared about the universe, you wouldn't like the treatment Disney is doing. Lucas worked very hard on Star Wars canon , to the point it turned it into a mythical tale, quality wise and spirit wise.

TLJ is guardian of the galaxy caliber, a stupid , boneless action movie with giant holes in all its plots. There is nothing to care about in this movie and this universe.

Lucas created Star Wars and its universe almost like Tolkien created its universe. Johnson/Disney are doing subpar entertainment movies.

Wow, so many bold statememnts just cause i liked the movie, this is really beyond pathetic. I find a complex character with internal conflicts that has made mistakes in life more interesting that a two-dimensional saint that is only good and can't do no wrong, also i liked that Mark Hamill made the best interpretation of his whole carreer thanks to this more complex character, if you want Luke to be an inmaculated saint forever then ok, I think is way more interesting this way which doesn't mean I hated luke to beggin with.

And that mythical tale you talk about was made for 12 years old as Lucas has said several times, I don't think it was never this overly serious universe some of you claim at all, in many sense TLJ was more mature than most SW movies but it really didn't lose the essence, it only evolves it.

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 24 December 2017

StarOcean said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

I have heard of the saying "Star Wars fans hate Star Wars." I'm not sure if that's actually true or not, but I would rather not know.

As I said to Lucas-Rio, if I have to force myself to dislike a movie in order to be a "real fan," I would rather not be part of the fanbase. 

Yeah, the saying is “No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans” -it’s abso-fucking-lutely true. Dude, I’ve dealt with this group my entire life and I despise them with every inch of my being. I was a kid and liked the prequels, guess what? Got told all day how I was wrong about liking them and how they don’t “hold a candle” to the originals. It’s not like I sought out these people either. I’d be at the playground as a kid and I’d have like a Destroyer Droid toy and a fan, “fan” would come up from whatever crusty crevasse of George Lucas’ ass they came from and would ask if I actually liked the prequels. I learned to say no and that I only liked the droid designs around these “fans” -which they begrudgingly are ok with. 

Lucas-Rio is the problem. Him along with others are thought police that literally want Star Wars dead. Yes, they want the series to die. I’m not kidding. Fuck people like him and like what you want

You don't know what you are talking about.

I liked the prequels a lot , they are much better than the garbage that TLJ is. They have weakness but in the end of the day they are epic, they build and paint a whole new world.

TLJ build nothing, it's a disastrous movie that has a Star Wars skin. It's a teenagers movie slated in Disney release schedule bewteen Iron Man 8 and Avenger the Battle of Thor. Pure holywood crap.

Lucas-Rio said:
StarOcean said:

That’s what he’s saying. 

Cut the BS. Nobody ever started to talk about the average EU.

THL just suck as a movie, and sucks even more as a star wars movie. Plain and simple. It has giant hole in its plots, uninteresting story, the destruction of Luke's characters, a uninteresting villain that is  much weaker than the heros and isn't even respected by its own troops.

It's just shitty.

Yep, it’s the worst movie ever made. Ever ever ever. It’s got the biggest plotholes ever. The plots bad because the plot is bad. And the story is bad and full of holes. Holesss. Jesus Fucking Christ. You’d swear with your fearful obsession with holes that you have trypophobia. The movie is fine, buy a latter and get over it. 

Lucas-Rio said:
StarOcean said:

Yeah, the saying is “No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans” -it’s abso-fucking-lutely true. Dude, I’ve dealt with this group my entire life and I despise them with every inch of my being. I was a kid and liked the prequels, guess what? Got told all day how I was wrong about liking them and how they don’t “hold a candle” to the originals. It’s not like I sought out these people either. I’d be at the playground as a kid and I’d have like a Destroyer Droid toy and a fan, “fan” would come up from whatever crusty crevasse of George Lucas’ ass they came from and would ask if I actually liked the prequels. I learned to say no and that I only liked the droid designs around these “fans” -which they begrudgingly are ok with. 

Lucas-Rio is the problem. Him along with others are thought police that literally want Star Wars dead. Yes, they want the series to die. I’m not kidding. Fuck people like him and like what you want

I liked the prequels a lot , they are much better than the garbage that TLJ is. They have weakness but in the end of the day they are epic, they build and paint a whole new world.

TLJ build nothing, it's a disastrous movie that has a Star Wars skin. It's a teenagers movie slated in Disney release schedule bewteen Iron Man 8 and Avenger the Battle of Thor. Pure holywood crap.

You didn’t like the prequels

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Lucas-Rio said:

You clearly seemed a fan of Disney/Marvel on the other thread, and that's especially this crowd that like TLJ, not the Star Wars fans. If you like the old Star Wars characters, you couldn't tolerate what they did to Luke.

If you cared about the universe, you wouldn't like the treatment Disney is doing. Lucas worked very hard on Star Wars canon , to the point it turned it into a mythical tale, quality wise and spirit wise.

TLJ is guardian of the galaxy caliber, a stupid , boneless action movie with giant holes in all its plots. There is nothing to care about in this movie and this universe.

Lucas created Star Wars and its universe almost like Tolkien created its universe. Johnson/Disney are doing subpar entertainment movies.

Wow, so many bold statememnts just cause i liked the movie, this is really beyond pathetic. I find a complex character with internal conflicts that has made mistakes in life more interesting that a two-dimensional saint that is only good and can't do no wrong, also i liked that Mark Hamill made the best interpretation of his whole carreer thanks to this more complex character, if you want Luke to be an inmaculated saint forever then ok, I think is way more interesting this way which doesn't mean I hated luke to beggin with.

Mark Hamill hated the characterizaton of Luke in TLJ and came very openly about it. He said that it wasn't Luke.

There is nothing complex nor conflicted in Luke in TLJ. He is just a depressed hobo, self defeating, almost crying , being weak and dying a useless death in exhaustion. That's such a cliche. I could have written this character in 2 minutes.

Maybe you laughed when he threw his light saber, that's a the kind of humous Disney is bringing.

hudsoniscool said:
TheDarkShape said:

Christmas Eve killed Sunday's box office, hurting the drop.  The last time the holidays shook out this way (i.e. Christmas Eve on a Sunday, Christmas on a Monday, etc.) was in 2006, and The Pursuit of Happyness - a super leggy hit - fell 44% over the same weekend.  

Using 2006 as a barometer for New Years weekend, everything will increase.  (i.e. PoH made $14m over Christmas weekend and $19m over New Years; Eragon made $7m over Christmas and $9m over New Years, etc.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=roguevforce.htm

Rogue one had a drop on its second weekend(also Had Christmas Eve on the weekend) but it's drop wasn't nearly this big.

Christmas Eve falling on Sunday hurts box office more than it does on a Saturday (Rogue One's Sunday was inflated because of Christmas Day and everybody also having Monday the 26th off, so it levels out the Christmas Eve dip a bit more).

I don't think The Last Jedi's drop is very good, but the days were lined up to hurt it, and it'll make a bit of it back next weekend when the days line up to help it.

Intel i7-8086k @ 5.1 GHz | Asus Maximus X Hero | 32GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz RAM | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

StarOcean said:
Lucas-Rio said:

You didn’t like the prequels

I did. AOTC is a bit harsh and the Padme love story is awful, but they did a great job at world building and at expanding the universe. Revenge of the Sith is just epic.

The TLJ is just garbage, and more and more people are realizing it. Deal with it.

Barkley said:

I don't have a massive hatred for that side-plot that most do, it wasn't good but it wasn't so insanely bad I wanted to die. I also didn't find the humour to be annoying. But several points that have large impacts on the future of the series were terribly handled.

The movie wasn't bad if you ignore some plot holes, the bigger issue is the mishandling of established stories and characters, including characters introduced in the force awakens. This is what can happen when a movie trilogy isn't planned out before hand and the second entry is given to an entirely different writer/director. Hell they had to change TFA's ending slightly because Rian Johnson wanted to do something different with Luke that didn't fit with it.

It doesnt feel planned, it feels like someone just takes over and makes it up as they go along, which isn't how something planned as a trilogy from the get go should happen.

The problem people had with the side plot was not that it was so much horrible, but that it was straight out of a generic Disney film.  Including its so on the nose messages.  It just wasn't Star Wars.

And while some plot holes can be ignored, the largest, which really hurts the film, has to do with the main dilemma of the film.  If that had just been a small piece of the film before they reached the rebel base, it wouldn't have bothered anyone.  But to stretch it out for almost 2 hrs of the film, which was about 18 hrs of in-movie time, of course the obvious plotholes are going to rear their ugly head.  In 18 hrs, the Order couldn't have called in another ship to either lightspeed right behind them or on the other side?  Or they couldn't have taken a few smaller ships, either manned with expendables or autopiloted, to lightspeed through the ship, since that's a thing now?

You are right, though, that the handling of characters, both old and new, are what the main problems were.

Tulipanzo said:
Seems a bit rich to label people who liked TLJ as "not real fans"
If you've got solid criticism of the movie use that, please. (Unless it's the Mary Sue shite, then don't bother)

Using this "drop" to try and push that people didn't really like it is also quite fanciful.
For one thing it's very likely to do very well over the holidays, and for another it has already amassed massive amounts of cash.
Add to that the fact that very few movies would be likely to replicate the event status of the start of a new Star Wars trilogy (see Episode V and II also suffering because of this).

For my part I really liked it. It's pushing the franchise in a new direction, one of a world predicated on flawed myths and widespread corruption.
The new layers we get to see to both sides of the conflict us what I found the most fascinating.
I'll probably see it again over the holidays actually.

Lol, the only ones who don't want the Mary Sue aspect brought up are the ones who can't defend it.  She's a Mary Sue.  Might as well accept it.

And of course the drop means people didn't like it.  Not all, just a lot.  Even JL, which was poorly received by critics AND movie goers, dropped 56%.  This dropped 69%.  TFA dropped only 40%.  Even if you say that was only hype, then it should have only dropped ~50%, like The Avengers and Jurassic World, two other films that opened over $200M.  There's just no way you can excuse it, the drop is god awful.  And it has to be one of the top drops in movie history, especially for a big movie like this.

Lucas-Rio said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Mark Hamill hated the characterizaton of Luke in TLJ and came very openly about it. He said that it wasn't Luke.

There is nothing complex nor conflicted in Luke in TLJ. He is just a depressed hobo, self defeating, almost crying , being weak and dying a useless death in exhaustion. That's such a cliche. I could have written this character in 2 minutes.

Maybe you laughed when he threw his light saber, that's a the kind of humous Disney is bringing.

Oh so this new Luke is a cliche, but the all mighty hero that is just good and can't do no wrong was a complete innovation for cinema, right? Unbelieveble. Mark Hamill said after thinking about it he realize this new luke was a very interesting and thrilling one, he didn't hate it, and even if he did who the fuck cares, he is just an actor, he is not a critic, not the original writter and not the original director, in fact George Lucas was very positive about this film and he created Star Wars you know? He wasn't just an actor, but of course that part doesn't interest you as much.