By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

Goodnightmoon said:

Also is suyrprising the level of doble moral that some fans have, like 2/3 of the "defects" they find in the new ones are already there in the original trilogy, but is like cannot fucking see them, and as a consequence there are more and more memes about it

The problem with this is in the OG trilogy we didn't know how the Empire formed. All we knew was that Vader helped to hunt down and kill all the Jedi. These two were survivors because they hid. They didn't hide out of shame, or giving up. They hid, because they didn't stand a chance against Vader + The Empire. They were biding their time, until an opportunity arose for them to do something worthwhile instead of dying in vain. Luke was that opportunity. Living as hermits on backwater planets these two likely had no way of knowing there was an active rebellion until it arrived on their doorstep. 

Most importantly This meme only works if we take it in the context of the prequel movies, and not in the context of the original films. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

The problem with this is in the OG trilogy we didn't know how the Empire formed. All we knew was that Vader helped to hunt down and kill all the Jedi. These two were survivors because they hid. They didn't hide out of shame, or giving up. They hid, because they didn't stand a chance against Vader + The Empire. They were biding their time, until an opportunity arose for them to do something worthwhile instead of dying in vain. Luke was that opportunity. Living as hermits on backwater planets these two likely had no way of knowing there was an active rebellion until it arrived on their doorstep. 

Most importantly This meme only works if we take it in the context of the prequel movies, and not in the context of the original films. 

Even with the prequels alone, it wouldn't work because the Order 66 scene alone explains it. On top of that, Luke's conventions are not the same as the conventional jedi, like Yoda or Obi Wan.

Luke faced bravely the Emperor. He wasn't afraid. And tlj contradicts this.

This failed meme is backfiring as much as episode viii to fans. Only desperate people would use it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Even with the prequels alone, it wouldn't work because the Order 66 scene alone explains it. On top of that, Luke's conventions are not the same as the conventional jedi, like Yoda or Obi Wan.

Luke faced bravely the Emperor. He wasn't afraid. And tlj contradicts this.

This failed meme is backfiring as much as episode viii to fans. Only desperate people would use it.

Oh hey, we agree on something. Weird

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Shadow1980 said: 
tokilamockingbrd said:
I find your lack of analysis disturbing.

Take out the 45m previews, factor in that Sunday was cmas eve which is usually a bad box office day and you get a different picture.

Shh. Let him have it. He'll soon learn that hate is the path to the Dark Side.

But yeah, considering debut weekend also had Thursday previews, and Christmas Eve is always a bad day for the box office, it'd be more fair to compare opening weekend (Thurs.-Sun.) to this long weekend (Fri.-Mon.), in which case it's more like a 55% drop, which isn't great but isn't terrible, either.

Bowing to the Empire and its will is a much quicker way. 

And now, this is just getting desperate. Comparing 4 days of TLJ box office to 3 of the TFA. Even then it's still 40% for TFA (it also had Thu night previews, so to act like that disadvantages TLJ is ridiculous) and a still poor showing of 55% for TLJ. Here will be a fun game, how many days do we have to compare of TLJ to match TFA 3? 5? 6? Maybe even 7? Just stop while you're behind. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Except, instead of going out to find jedis to train, they hid in backwater planets. You didn´t need the prequels to see that. I think those memes are perfect, and I would say Lukes situation is far worse than Obi Wans or Yodas since it was his own nephew that he felt he betrayed. If he would have just started fighting Kylo, it would actually made him an asshole.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:

Except, instead of going out to find jedis to train, they hid in backwater planets. 

I dont think thats how it works in SW universe, but if it serves you to explain that terrible and out of context meme than so be it.

Anyway, this movie makes clear, and people seem to have loved it, that rules previously accepted in SW universe are no longer set in stone, like floating in space in absolute zero temperatures or projecting your image throughout the universe or learning everything about the force in 5 minutes.

Is people like the new rule that when Jedi fails they then hide in shame for the rest of their lives then ok... hey critics like it so it must be good.

Vincoletto said:
Puppyroach said:

Except, instead of going out to find jedis to train, they hid in backwater planets. 

I dont think thats how it works in SW universe, but if it serves you to explain that terrible and out of context meme than so be it.

Anyway, this movie makes clear, and people seem to have loved it, that rules previously accepted in SW universe are no longer set in stone, like floating in space in absolute zero temperatures or projecting your image throughout the universe or learning everything about the force in 5 minutes.

Is people like the new rule that when Jedi fails they then hide in shame for the rest of their lives then ok... hey critics like it so it must be good.

Or becoming a force ghost, shooting lightning bolts from your fingers and sensing someones prescence from miles away. The force has an immense power and you an ofcourse do unthinkable things with it. And ofcourse jedis were recruited into the jedi order, they located them at young age so that they could get proper training.

CaptainExplosion said:
I still say fans are being incredibly petty and childish over this movie, all because it disregarded the Star Wars expanded universe stories.

I personally have no problem with getting rid of the EU.

I do, however, take issue with giving everyone a Mary Sue and expecting everyone to love her to death. Especially when she was introduced alongside an actual GOOD character like Finn.

CaptainExplosion said:
I still say fans are being incredibly petty and childish over this movie, all because it disregarded the Star Wars expanded universe stories.

EU does not matter. The problem is the lack of logic in these new movies.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

mZuzek said:
Azuren said:

I personally have no problem with getting rid of the EU.

I do, however, take issue with giving everyone a Mary Sue and expecting everyone to love her to death. Especially when she was introduced alongside an actual GOOD character like Finn.

Finn is a terrible character lol. Or at best, a decent character that was awfully utilized because he just turned into a sidestory and in the end we got zero development in the relationship between him, Poe and Rey (which is what you'd expect from a freaking sequel). Instead, all we got was a mess of a movie with 37 different simultaneous plot lines that all felt unfulfilling.

Finn is a fantastic character with wonderfully apparent flaws that he is in need of overcoming. It's called a character arc. The problem is he has practically been sidelined in favor of Mary Sue, Not-Luke, and Kyle Ron.