By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

Simpleton said:
thismeintiel said:

at least the prequels didn't shit all over the lore and characters.

You didn't take any issues with Darth Vader and Yoda?

Yoda?  Not really.  I would have prefered him to be a puppet for most of his scenes, but they didn't really screw much with his character.  Darth Vader technically wasn't in them, at least not until the very end of Ep 3.  As for Anakin, he definitely wasn't very good in the first two.  In Ep 1, he was an annoying kid.  In Ep 2, they made him much more whiny than he should have come across as.  He was tolerable in Ep 3.  It helped that they dropped the Gary Stu stuff they were going for in Ep 1.

My main problem with the prequels is that they had some good ideas in them, they just weren't executed well.  The acting felt stiff and monotone a lot of the time.  Darth Maul should have been developed better, as well as stayed in the series until at least Ep 2, where he seems like the main threat until Darth Sidious is revealed.  Personally, I would have made Anakin the one to kill him.  In Ep 1, Anakin should have been older, at least 13 or 14.  In Ep 2, he should have come across more rebellious, but with a tendency to take things too far, and not just whiny.  In Ep 3, there shouldn't have been the "NOOO!"

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
melbye said:
The prequels were better, hell the Clone Wars movie was better

While I do think TLJ was better acted and directed than the prequels, midichlorians aside (which Lucas definitely toned down the importance of in Ep 2 & 3), at least the prequels didn't shit all over the lore and characters. They also benefit from not having a Mary Sue. If Lucas had less yes men and more help writing, they could have been classics.

Aren't those basically the main complaints about the prequels?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

melbye said:
The prequels were better, hell the Clone Wars movie was better

Of course.

Obi Wan and Yoda duels were great. Especially Yoda vs Palpatine.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Weekend estimates are in. TLJ did $609K. This is 23% lower than RO's $791.3K for the same weekend. For the past 38 days, RO has outperformed TLJ by 15.2%. From now until it left theatres, RO made $3.57M. If the 15.2% holds, than TLJ will make just $3.1M. This would bring the final DBO total to $621.1M. If the FBO precentage of 53.4% holds, final WW will be $1.33B.

Just a few points that help illustrate how poor its legs have been (all numbers pertain to DBO):

- By the end of Week 3, Day 21, TLJ had been outperforming RO, outside of opening weekend, by 9.6%. That performance has fallen to 6.6% in the following weeks.
- By the end of Week 3, TLJ had dropped 28.7% (-$221.4M) below TFA. It currently is 32.9% (-$303.7M) below TFA and is looking to end up ~33.7% (-$315.6M) down.
- By the end of Week 3, TLJ was $21.7M ahead of Jurassic World. It is currently $19.9M behind it and is looking to end up ~$31.2M behind it.
- By the end of Week 3, TLJ was $72.3M ahead of Avengers:AOU. It is currently $6.9M ahead of it and is looking to end up ~$2.26M behind it.
- TLJ has lost 91.7% of its screenings by Weekend 10. At this point in time, TFA had lost 60.9% and RO had lost 89.5%. JW had lost 82.7% and A:AOU had lost 74.1%.

People quickly figured out after release that this is not the SW movie they were looking for.

Also having a new movie released every year (we're already getting a new one just 5 months after TLJ!) is obviously wearing down the franchise and giving general movie goers fatigue. This isn't the Marvel Cinematic Universe... we don't need movies for every main and side SW character every single year!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

It did big numbers only because of the opnenings weeks, when unsuspecting fans and moviegoers went to see the movie with all the hype and the media reviews.

The legs have been terrible.

It is losing more than 700 millions $ compared to TFA which was released 2 years before.

Another comparison, since some like to bring it up, is the fall from movie to movie within the OG and prequel trilogies.  The comparison isn't exactly a positive one for TLJ.  I'll be using TLJ's estimated finals.

OG Trilogy

ANH - DBO: $307.3M/FBO: $314.4M/WW: $621.7M
ESB - DBO: $209.4M (-31.9%)/FBO: $247.9M (-21.2%)/WW: $457.3M (-26.4%)
ROTJ - DBO: $252.6M (+20.6%)/FBO: $165.8M (-33.1%)/WW: 418.4M (-8.5%)

Prequel Trilogy

TPM - DBO: $431.1M/FBO: $552.5M/WW: $983.6M
AOTC - DBO: $302.2M (-29.9%)/FBO: $338.7M (-38.7%)/WW: $640.9M (-34.8%)
ROTS - DBO: $380.3M (+25.8%)/FBO: $468.5M (+38.3%)/WW: $848.8M (+32.4%)

Disney Trilogy (So Far)

TFA - DBO: $936.7M/FBO: $1.13B/WW: $2.07B
TLJ - DBO: $621.1M (-33.7%)/FBO: $711.8M (-37%)/WW: $1.33B (-35.7%)

As you can see, TLJ will see the largest DBO and WW drops in series history, and is only outdone in FBO drop by AOTC.  Speaking of AOTC, it saw the 2nd worst WW drop in the series, which at the time was seen as a poor performance.  Of course, given that, at the time, it was the worst received in the series, it makes sense that it would have dropped so low.

As for Ep 9, I highly doubt that after TLJ it will see a 30%+ gain over TLJ that ROTS saw over AOTC WW.  The reason ROTS recovered so much is because it was not only a better film than the previous two (even if only slightly better) and was the lead up to the beloved ANH, but it also showed the creation of Darth Vader, one of most, if not the most, iconic villains in cinematic history.  Personally, unless it is an incredible movie (not holding my breath for that) I see it dropping more than ROTJ did.  Probably, ~10%-15%.  This would put it at $1.13B-$1.2B, or only 6.6%-13.2% above RO, a spinoff.  Of course, it may drop even lower than that if it is a poor film.

NightDragon83 said:
People quickly figured out after release that this is not the SW movie they were looking for.

Also having a new movie released every year (we're already getting a new one just 5 months after TLJ!) is obviously wearing down the franchise and giving general movie goers fatigue. This isn't the Marvel Cinematic Universe... we don't need movies for every main and side SW character every single year!

I don't think fatigue is really that big a deal.  I think the problem is that Disney rushed into making it a yearly thing, but didn't really plan it out.  They're winging it, like DC is.  Both of which are starting to show declines in their films.  With the Marvel films, you can tell they have them planned out in advance.  It helps that Kevin Feige is passionate about the Marvel Universe.  I highly doubt Kathleen Kennedy gives two shits about the SW universe, and instead is trying to find a way to make a bunch of money on the series fast.  If she gets to insert a few of her political agendas into the franchise, as well, then all the better. 

Marvel has also taken the time to find the right formula for each series.  Star Wars kinda has a formula, as well, but with TLJ they decided to abandon it and instead hand it over to a director who is nihilistic.  TFA was definitely not perfect, but it could have been improved upon going into TLJ.  Instead mysteries and setups were either abandoned, or the director chose to give the finger to the audience, telling them that what they loved so much doesn't matter anymore.  His vision of SW is the future.  If Disney wants to continue without a steady decrease in profit, I say they need to abandon Rian Johnson's vision for SW.  I think the decline shows that a lot of fans agree.

Lucas-Rio said:
It did big numbers only because of the opnenings weeks, when unsuspecting fans and moviegoers went to see the movie with all the hype and the media reviews.

It is losing more than 700 millions $ compared to TFA which was released 2 years before.

Yea, they have been pretty godawful.  Pretty telling that it is going to have the largest WW drop in series history.  And that RO has been outperforming it for the past 5 1/2 weeks.

Lucas-Rio said:

And yet rian Johnson still has his own trilogy. He is a great director but he should write any on the story.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

hudsoniscool said:
Lucas-Rio said:

And yet rian Johnson still has his own trilogy. He is a great director but he should write any on the story.

I honestly think a veteran co-writer like Lawrence Kasdan woud help him out for his upcoming trilogy.