By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can you just imagine a Silent Hill 2 remake for PS4??? O_O

 

Wanna see Silent Hill 2 remade?

Sure! 9 47.37%
 
Not really. 5 26.32%
 
Doesn't interest me. 5 26.32%
 
Total:19
NATO said:

I disagree, wholeheartedly.

The reason Silent Hill worked so well on PS1/PS2 was because the low resolution and fact most people were playing on CRT displays, added a lot to the atmosphere, and did an excellent job of allowing the player to fill in the gaps in surroundings and objects with their imagination where the consoles limitations meant that geometry was not accurate or simply a texture to represent it.

the undertaking requires to retain that feeling would be far more than the game is worth.

the switch from relatively analog CRT to digital LCD/LED plays a large part of why going back to pre-hd consoles, but on modern displays, feels so dramatically different to when you originally played them on the original consoles.

I have to agree. The element of "what you don't see is what scares you the most" is a very important part of any horror media, not just games, and it can't really be replicated in 4k ultra High Definition. You'd probably need to change the whole artstyle to make it fit.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
I could imagine it on more than just PS4 based hardware. Especially with 4k textures and non baked lighting, as well as volumetric fog.

Exactly!

I don't think higher resolution would ruin the experience at all like some here like to believe. I mean, the HD remasters were just fine graphically except for the fact they half-assed it. The resolution was excellent and there was nothing wrong with that. What WAS wrong with those remasters was the crappy sound and unfinished game effects. When compared to the PS2 version, everything felt like alpha or pre-game release. 

Honestly, reworked character models for SH2 WOULD indeed benefit the game. No one can tell me they would complain if the game looked like those amazing CG sequences. I mean, come on...you can still have all the textures, stylistic design and grungy effects with higher resolution. Look at how great it looked on PC, for example. 

 

And like someone mentioned, yes, Sh1-4 remade would be terrific! 



i dont know, I'm already a little put off by how the SotC remake feels different in terms of art style (it looks a little too "blue" in my opinion), I'd be very concerned about how they would go about trying to recapture the feel of the original SH2. Visuals are way too important for horror games.



I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk

Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ

Braid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tZiowT_qM

GameOverture said:
i dont know, I'm already a little put off by how the SotC remake feels different in terms of art style (it looks a little too "blue" in my opinion), I'd be very concerned about how they would go about trying to recapture the feel of the original SH2. Visuals are way too important for horror games.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I've noticed it too. Heck, even the cover of the game now has a more blueish hue. I actually don't mind it like I did at first. I can't decide what I prefer now. I think the PS4's cover is actually the best cover SotC had yet right down to the superior font choice in my opinion. But in the end, I like both styles.



Darwinianevolution said:

I have to agree. The element of "what you don't see is what scares you the most" is a very important part of any horror media, not just games, and it can't really be replicated in 4k ultra High Definition. You'd probably need to change the whole artstyle to make it fit.

Well, I for one appreciate that at least one other person here gets it.

It was never about what you could see, it was about allowing your imagination, driven by the atmosphere, to fill the gaps, and that's why it worked so well.

The clearer and more detailed games become, the less room they leave for the imagination.



Around the Network

I think is easy to make blurry imagery, and dense fog with the new graphic technology. And, in this specific case (SH2), work wonders with sound FXs, using 5.1 with more crude and defined noises coming from a veriety of angles to scare the living soul out of you.



                          

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Sure but i would not like to see it being made by bluepoint, but rather by orginal team silent members like Masahiro Ito to keep the design of characters and monsters or fulfilling the original vision, and a Japanese team over all if possible this time.

Last edited by Ruler - on 26 December 2017

I would love even quality HD remaster of SH2, on other hand SH1 would need full remake. I would kill for both those games. :)



NATO said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I have to agree. The element of "what you don't see is what scares you the most" is a very important part of any horror media, not just games, and it can't really be replicated in 4k ultra High Definition. You'd probably need to change the whole artstyle to make it fit.

Well, I for one appreciate that at least one other person here gets it.

It was never about what you could see, it was about allowing your imagination, driven by the atmosphere, to fill the gaps, and that's why it worked so well.

The clearer and more detailed games become, the less room they leave for the imagination.

I have beaten SH2, 3 several times on PC with the highest resolutions possible in front of a monitor and also with noise filter turned off, it was just as scary as playing on the PS2 with via CRT. I mean you see the pre rendered CGI cutscenes who have better graphics than real time, do they not drive the atmosphere? Then why shouldnt better graphics in general do it?



NATO said:

I disagree, wholeheartedly.

The reason Silent Hill worked so well on PS1/PS2 was because the low resolution and fact most people were playing on CRT displays, added a lot to the atmosphere, and did an excellent job of allowing the player to fill in the gaps in surroundings and objects with their imagination where the consoles limitations meant that geometry was not accurate or simply a texture to represent it.

the undertaking requires to retain that feeling would be far more than the game is worth.

the switch from relatively analog CRT to digital LCD/LED plays a large part of why going back to pre-hd consoles, but on modern displays, feels so dramatically different to when you originally played them on the original consoles.

With good art direction, use of colors, bloom and mist it can give the feeling of the old game.