By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can you just imagine a Silent Hill 2 remake for PS4??? O_O

Wanna see Silent Hill 2 remade?

Sure! 9 47.37%

Not really. 5 26.32%

Doesn't interest me. 5 26.32%

Total:19
Turkish said:

With good art direction, use of colors, bloom and mist it can give the feeling of the old game.

Low resolution and technical limitation gave the original it's feeling, a HD remaster goes against that.

Around the Network

not unless they remake SH1

NATO said:
Turkish said:

With good art direction, use of colors, bloom and mist it can give the feeling of the old game.

Low resolution and technical limitation gave the original it's feeling, a HD remaster goes against that.

Im not talking about a remaster, a full on remake can get the same art style. I disagree about the low res comment, playing it on an emulator, looks great. Nothing that SH2 did then couldn't be done today, the mist, the gritty graphics, all of it can be done today, by the right people.

Azzanation said:

Bring it to PC and let the PC community look after this gem. Remaking it on consoles with limitations wont do it justice in 5 years time. Time less games need timeless hardware.
I did enjoy the Silent Hill trilogy. Shame its at an end. They should focus on making a new game. Afterall many Silent Hill games have been released and the better the visual upgrades they improve on, the more of the games flare it loses.

Its on PC

Ruler said:
Azzanation said:

Bring it to PC and let the PC community look after this gem. Remaking it on consoles with limitations wont do it justice in 5 years time. Time less games need timeless hardware.
I did enjoy the Silent Hill trilogy. Shame its at an end. They should focus on making a new game. Afterall many Silent Hill games have been released and the better the visual upgrades they improve on, the more of the games flare it loses.

Its on PC

Where? I checked Steam, its not on there, only one I see is Homecoming

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Ruler said:

Its on PC

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-2-PC/dp/B00007M9SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514310352&sr=8-1&keywords=silent+hill+2+pc

Ruler said:
Azzanation said:

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-2-PC/dp/B00007M9SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514310352&sr=8-1&keywords=silent+hill+2+pc

Oh I had a feeling it was only available in physical, Thanks. 

They need to digitally release the entire series. They did with Final Fantasy 7 they should definitely do it for Silent Hill. PC is the home of horror games. I couldn't tell you how many horror games my Steam account has.

NATO said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I have to agree. The element of "what you don't see is what scares you the most" is a very important part of any horror media, not just games, and it can't really be replicated in 4k ultra High Definition. You'd probably need to change the whole artstyle to make it fit.

Well, I for one appreciate that at least one other person here gets it.

It was never about what you could see, it was about allowing your imagination, driven by the atmosphere, to fill the gaps, and that's why it worked so well.

The clearer and more detailed games become, the less room they leave for the imagination.

That doesn't make sense. You can still have amazing graphics and have a game driven by atmosphere. Silent Hill 2 is the best example of that, obviously, as this thread is about it. I mean, SH1 doesn't scare me nearly as much as the second one did and it had way worse graphics. SH2 looked beautiful and gritty with stunning lighting effects that really enhanced the dreadful mood. If these same guys made a Silent Hill for the PS4, it would look absolutely phenomenal! Once again - just look at PT even! By far one of the scariest experiences ever crafted! Absolutely mindblowing, state of the art graphics - in fact some of the best I have seen and it still has incredible atmosphere that SH is known for.

THAT is where I'm going here. :) Can't argue that, really.

Turkish said:
NATO said:

Im not talking about a remaster, a full on remake can get the same art style. I disagree about the low res comment, playing it on an emulator, looks great. Nothing that SH2 did then couldn't be done today, the mist, the gritty graphics, all of it can be done today, by the right people.

Thank you! Exactly!

StreaK said:

That doesn't make sense. You can still have amazing graphics and have a game driven by atmosphere. Silent Hill 2 is the best example of that, obviously, as this thread is about it. I mean, SH1 doesn't scare me nearly as much as the second one did and it had way worse graphics. SH2 looked beautiful and gritty with stunning lighting effects that really enhanced the dreadful mood. If these same guys made a Silent Hill for the PS4, it would look absolutely phenomenal! Once again - just look at PT even! By far one of the scariest experiences ever crafted! Absolutely mindblowing, state of the art graphics - in fact some of the best I have seen and it still has incredible atmosphere that SH is known for.

THAT is where I'm going here. :) Can't argue that, really.

You still don't get it.

The low resolution textures, and simplified geometry forced them to put much of the detail into the textures, as a result, the overall look of the game is comprimised primarilly by low resolution assets, and in most cases, shrouded by darkness or low light, with many elements of the textures being unclear and not easilly identifiable, "is that dirt or blood, fungus or scratches, are those faces or just the pattern of the wall?" combine that with the darkness and the grungy feeling and the player is forced to subconciously fill in the blanks left by the technical limitation.

a full HD / 4K game with crystal clear assets, fluid motion and significantly better lighting may well make the game "LOOK" better, but it also strong arms back creative control from the player to the designer, giving the player much less to fill in subconciously.

And in doing so it also makes the "atmosphere" much more generic, when a player had subconcious control over what it is they think they see, the game can naturally cater to their particular brand of scary, allowing them to tailor-make the experience scary for themselves, take that element away and you may well end up with a game that scares some people and looks really good, but you will have lost the ability to allow the individual to scare themselves, and instead have to rely on shitty mechanics such as jump scares and audio queues.