By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Changes to rape laws

Rape is disgusting, but the way it’s handled in the US is absolutely horrendous. seeing how it’s handled made me think some changes should be placed.

1. Full anonymity unless it is a widely known figure or person with an extensive criminal history. The person creating the accusation should choose whether they be named or not, but I think the accused should be given the right of privacy unless they fall in the two groups of people I named. If someone accused me of rape, would I want everyone on the news calling me a rapist? Not really.

2. Harsh sentences for blatantly false accusations. Someone falls into a gray boundary? The charges should simply be cleared. A person deliberately lies? They should be given a fine and jail time that would have been placed on the accused.

3. Block information from reaching media until case is cleared. Honestly, I hate the damn media, but the toxic nature of quick assumptions would be stopped be releasing the info and transcript of the court case when it finishes.

what do you guys think of these proposals?

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:

1. Full anonymity unless it is a widely known figure or person with an extensive criminal history. The person creating the accusation should choose whether they be named or not, but I think the accused should be given the right of privacy unless they fall in the two groups of people I named. If someone accused me of rape, would I want everyone on the news calling me a rapist? Not really.

I get keeping it anonymous among professional establishments (which they're already generally supposed to do), but how would you enforce that for the public? Is Jane Q supposed to get charged for accusing someone on Twitter?

Regardless, it is a shitshow with no easy answers.

I don't think you realize we live in a time where emotion is fact and fact is emotion. Welcome to the gynocentric world now.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

"1. Full anonymity unless it is a widely known figure or person with an extensive criminal history."

This just seems like your way of saying "I don't want to jump to conclusions or for people's lives to be destroyed - unless it's a popular person. Then that's ok!" Could be wrong but I don't understand why the law would only apply to normal people and not well known figures.

I like most of what you listed but I would add that they should get rid of the statue of limitations with rape/molestation so time can't be used as a shield and get rid of ability for the accused to settle out of court with the accuser (paying them off) so it deincentivizes false accusations by limited financial gain and prevents possible rapists from escaping justice by buying their way out.

On the other hand, people would have to file actual charges with police (no more college kangaroo courts) and not make public allegations against someone otherwise they'll be liable to defamation. If the person is found guilty then by all means speak about it. I believe in due process and guilt is not just assumed on the accused. it has to be proven in a court of law.

Around the Network

Interesting topic. I happen to know someone who will remain anonymous that was charged with rape and pled to a much lesser charge of attempted sexual abuse. He has to register for life unless a pardon is granted or petition is signed by a certain number of people. I cant tell you all the details but I do know he was compliant with law enforcement. The woman was known to be promiscuous and as far as I was told...had a boyfriend. Anyway..here in the states it comes down to he said she said and it's sad.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
"1. Full anonymity unless it is a widely known figure or person with an extensive criminal history."

This just seems like your way of saying "I don't want to jump to conclusions or for people's lives to be destroyed - unless it's a popular person. Then that's ok!" Could be wrong but I don't understand why the law would only apply to normal people and not well known figures.

Someone like Barack Obama would be able to receive constant coverage that would show their innocence. They can also rebound much more easily.

if I’m accused of rape, it’ll forever be held against me as that’ll be the first thing people see when they search up my name. Also I’m sure many companies and colleges would avoid me.

overall it’s not because I hate anyone if they’re famous. Rather, I think the typical joe SHOULD receive their privacy. If someone’s famous, then I’m not against them having a private case (unless it’s someone like trump). I’d say I prioritize privacy in general over the specifics 

Won't work. Society has already taken over that issue and the only changes that can happen will when everyone is bored of rape and focuses on other totally important stuff like animal cruelty or some shit.

I would already be happy if rape wasn't treated as if it's somehow worse than murder or extreme torture but alas, apparently it's the worst thing that any human can do to another human.

The laws aren't the problem, it's the over importance people put on a single issue.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

"2. Harsh sentences for blatantly false accusations. Someone falls into a gray boundary? The charges should simply be cleared. A person deliberately lies? They should be given a fine and jail time that would have been placed on the accused."

in a perfect world this would be a good thing. but we arent in a perfect world, and i feel that this would go ahead and discourage people who suffered sexual abuse to come out and talk about their bad experiences.

Coming from a good place and there should be sharp punishments for those who lie, but the only way to prove a lie from a mistake is if they admit it. And if they know they will go to prison they will never admit it.

If anything that law would make it less likely for men and women to come forward because if the court believes they're lying they will go to prison for a long time.

If someone is being accused of rape people should know because if they are actually a rapist they shouldn't unknowingly put themselves in danger. Humans should do better that if someone is accused of rape and it turns out not to be true to not tar their character.

And that last rule will just never happen, the media get mostly everything, people will always leak.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'