By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Changes to rape laws

bananaking21 said:
"2. Harsh sentences for blatantly false accusations. Someone falls into a gray boundary? The charges should simply be cleared. A person deliberately lies? They should be given a fine and jail time that would have been placed on the accused."

in a perfect world this would be a good thing. but we arent in a perfect world, and i feel that this would go ahead and discourage people who suffered sexual abuse to come out and talk about their bad experiences.

So the Crystal Gail Mangums of the world should just be free to knowingly lie under oath (which is, in itself, a crime, shocker) and ruin innocent people's lives? I beg to differ especially when we're still eons away from equality on the whole sexual assault issue.

Woman lies about being raped: We can't charge her because 'we can't discourage real victims from coming forward', even if some poor soul has to pay for it with a schlong up his ass in prison.

Woman gets caught actually raping a 13-year-old boy and gets pregnant: we make the boy who was sexually exploited pay his rapist for 18+ years.

USA! USA! USA!

Also, we're not talking about women who simply can't prove it, we're talking about demonstrably false accusations.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 28 December 2017

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
"1. Full anonymity unless it is a widely known figure or person with an extensive criminal history."

This just seems like your way of saying "I don't want to jump to conclusions or for people's lives to be destroyed - unless it's a popular person. Then that's ok!" Could be wrong but I don't understand why the law would only apply to normal people and not well known figures.

Someone like Barack Obama would be able to receive constant coverage that would show their innocence. They can also rebound much more easily.

if I’m accused of rape, it’ll forever be held against me as that’ll be the first thing people see when they search up my name. Also I’m sure many companies and colleges would avoid me.

overall it’s not because I hate anyone if they’re famous. Rather, I think the typical joe SHOULD receive their privacy. If someone’s famous, then I’m not against them having a private case (unless it’s someone like trump). I’d say I prioritize privacy in general over the specifics 

Part of this has to do with agenda. Barry was the godson of American media whether or not people like to admit it, meaning he would have a clear advantage in public reception as compared to a Trump, who the media grilled vigorously in their hatred of the man until they stopped when they realized there was truly nothing there.

With you being an unknown citizen, this is the first time the press will have access to your identitiy, and thus you are at the mercy of their representation of you. There can be certain benefactors to help you in your coverage, but 9/10 times you will be portrayed negatively.

I'm an innocent till proven guilty guy, so I tend to give the benefit of the doubt until I hear the ruling. If it were a perfect world, nothing would be announced until the actual verdict. As we know though, sexual allegations are big crowd drawers, and thus this really is a sort of media issue.

TH3-D0S3R said:
monocle_layton said:

Someone like Barack Obama would be able to receive constant coverage that would show their innocence. They can also rebound much more easily.

if I’m accused of rape, it’ll forever be held against me as that’ll be the first thing people see when they search up my name. Also I’m sure many companies and colleges would avoid me.

overall it’s not because I hate anyone if they’re famous. Rather, I think the typical joe SHOULD receive their privacy. If someone’s famous, then I’m not against them having a private case (unless it’s someone like trump). I’d say I prioritize privacy in general over the specifics 

Part of this has to do with agenda. Barry was the godson of American media whether or not people like to admit it, meaning he would have a clear advantage in public reception as compared to a Trump, who the media grilled vigorously in their hatred of the man until they stopped when they realized there was truly nothing there.

With you being an unknown citizen, this is the first time the press will have access to your identitiy, and thus you are at the mercy of their representation of you. There can be certain benefactors to help you in your coverage, but 9/10 times you will be portrayed negatively.

I'm an innocent till proven guilty guy, so I tend to give the benefit of the doubt until I hear the ruling. If it were a perfect world, nothing would be announced until the actual verdict. As we know though, sexual allegations are big crowd drawers, and thus this really is a sort of media issue.

Yeah I realized the proposals I made had flaws. It made me rethink the situation, and for now I'll probably continue to just keep thinking

monocle_layton said:
TH3-D0S3R said:

Yeah I realized the proposals I made had flaws. It made me rethink the situation, and for now I'll probably continue to just keep thinking

I have no problem with looking for reform, so no need to be concerned. I personally would agree though that sex cases the way it is being handled now is not good enough, and that reform should be made, so I'm with ya there.