By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2017 will see the first rise in total hardware sales year over year since 2008

Farsala said:
JRPGfan said:
There was a time when it was normal to sell 80m+ total hardware units in 1 year? O_o

Yeah when consoles were cheap. PS2,DS, Wii, PSP were all pretty cheap. PS3 and 360 never got cheap, and we saw 0 legs from them, and as a result we get record launches for PS4 and XB1.

360 got cheap, it had a $199 sku as early as 2008.

PS3 eventually got that cheap as well with its Super Slim redesign but it was until 2012 or 2013 that it hit that price.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I bet it would still be fown if Nintendo went third party........ :p

Pocky Lover Boy! 

zorg1000 said:
Farsala said:

Yeah when consoles were cheap. PS2,DS, Wii, PSP were all pretty cheap. PS3 and 360 never got cheap, and we saw 0 legs from them, and as a result we get record launches for PS4 and XB1.

360 got cheap, it had a $199 sku as early as 2008.

PS3 eventually got that cheap as well with its Super Slim redesign but it was until 2012 or 2013 that it hit that price.

That 360 sku was terrible value and not even that cheap. By cheap I mean valued as well anyways. A $99 PS2 was a steal and same with DS, compared with launch prices for 360 and PS3.  A $249 PS3 or 360 vs. $399 PS4 and soon XB1 was a no brainer and then the holidays dropped them further without really doing anything with PS3/360.

And PS3 and 360 never got down to $149, which is fine profit for Sony/MS but it helps to explain why hardware sales trended the way they did.

Keybladewielder said:

Anyway, I'm surprised that sales declined even with the launch of the PS4/X1. I guess the decline of the PS3/360 was just way too much.

2014 decline was a combination of PS3/360 dying as soon as their successors released, Vita/Wii U never gaining traction and 3DS had a rather big drop that year as well.

But anywho, hopefully 2018 can continue to see YoY growth!!!

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Every console in Generation 7 did fairly well, even the XBox 360 and the PSP did well even though they technically came in "last place". But for Generation 8, only the PS3's successor, the PS4 has shown an increase. Every other Gen 8 console has shown decline compared to its Gen 7 counterpart: 3DS, Vita, XB1 and especially Wii U have all been in decline compared to their Gen 7 predecessors.

This begs the question: where did all of those gamers go, and why do they seem to be coming back now?

Around the Network

Awesome! Where do we think we'll end up?

That's what happens when you bring something new and desirable to table and not play safe with more of the same.

Obviously many people in this site couldn't see this. What you could expect from a community that blindly praise AAA game companies that lacks gameplay creativity but have genial ideias to cash grab and powerful hardware that brings nothing but tiresome comparisons

We reap what we sow

JRPGfan said:
There was a time when it was normal to sell 80m+ total hardware units in 1 year? O_o

It only happened the two times. It was the peak of the console industry. 5 successful pieces of hardware - PSP, Xb360, and PS3 selling each above 10 million both those years. The Wii and DS combined selling about 100M units during the 2 years.

Commenting on another above post. I don’t think economic factors impact the gaming industry a great deal. 2008/2009 was the middle of a worldwide economic crisis, and console sales were higher than ever. The main reasons for the decade of decline are the rise of mobile and browser/cheap PC gaming. The sales decline ended because the declining sales of PSV, 360, PS3, Wii, & Wii U didn’t have any more room left to decline; XBOne, PS4, and 3DS holding fairly strong to 2016 numbers; and the addition of the Switch has added a lot of sales. If it weren’t for the Switch, there would likely still be a small decline we’d be at 22M, now, with 15M consoles to sell in November and December instead of 30M with only 7M to to go.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Farsala said:
JRPGfan said:

Hopefully PS4 can reach 149$... via shrinks/cost saveing maneuvers.

Hail Trump! He makes all the numbers go up!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.