By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - George Lucas Was Right About the Star Wars Fanbase

All i heard it is more like one of those Marvel movies instead of a SW movie.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

6) This is all getting far too complicated for a very small issue which is why I didn't want to get involved in this thread in the first place.

Then I'll simplify it to the issue that I think makes the least sense here.

According to you, Luke handed Leia the dice as a hint that he was fine, since she was presumably the most resistant to Kylo, being a force sensitive person and all. Simultaneously, you noted that Snoke (and presumably by extension, Kylo) have to focus in on a specific person to read their thoughts, and be intentional about it.

With that being the case, what would be the concern of telling a single person about the plan? It's extremely unlikely that Kylo even has the power to read the minds of every single person in the base (especially when he doesn't even know how many there are), and it seems like far less of a risk than going out without telling anyone that they're supposed to run...a plan which, I'll remind you, only ended up succeeding because a single pilot intuited what the entire Resistance leadership missed.

I'm sorry but it's a real stretch to argue to Luke didn't share his plan with anyone because he was worried about Kylo reading somebody's mind. The only way we've seen anyone actually read minds, in terms of exact thoughts, is up close with extreme focus and effort. The much more common use from afar is the ability to intuit feelings and emotions, which isn't mind reading at all, and not much of an exact science either. Just look at what happened to Snoke for proof of that. He believed 100% Kylo posed no threat to him, because he could still sense his unwavering commitment to the dark side, and mistook that to mean his student would not turn on him. Swing and a miss. And we have every reason to believe that Kylo, while he may have killed Snoke, isn't actually anywhere near as masterful in his control of the force as Snoke was.

You can talk your way into explanations for some of the nonsense in this movie if you really want to, but the truth is you're pretty much always gonna have to take a roundabout way to get there. Which, hey...if those things don't bother you, and you just had a good time watching the movie, enjoying it for what it was, that's cool. Nobody can take that away from you, nor should they. If we're gonna have an open discussion though, we can't pretend the movie doesn't have flaws, just because a lot of people thoroughly enjoyed it (which, again, is perfectly ok).

I finally saw it today and despite knowing a lot of people hated it, I was optimistic. I managed to avoid spoilers, too.

I left kinda disgusted with it. I think the franchise needs to end.

Around the Network

Saw it again, found it as awesome as the first time, best Star Wars movie since the Empire Strikes Back, I really can't understand this collective madness. Oh well.

mZuzek said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Saw it again, found it as awesome as the first time, best Star Wars movie since the Empire Strikes Back, I really can't understand this collective madness. Oh well.

Now you know how I feel.

Not really, many people liked Gotg Vol 2 less than the first but here we are talking about pure hate and people saying it ruined the franchise forever, meanwhile I just see one of the best movies of the saga O_o Thanfully almost everyone I know that has watched it seems to think the same and so do the vast majority of the critics, otherways I would be thinking I'm getting mad or something, this is really a strange case.

bigjon said:
Pavolink said:
I love how George is sarcastic.
Basically laughing at those screaming shit at his job and now they get real shit with the new trilogy.

to be fair, I feel all 3 of the Disney SW are better than the prequels...

TFA had balance, it appealed to the older fans due to all the damn nostalgia and the newer fans because it was a clean, efficient movie that was a lot of fun.

R1 was more popular with core fans because it added a lot of lore and expanded on one of their beloved films.

TLJ is mixed to core fans because it breaks some "Star Wars Rules" but casual fans love it because it is interest and keeps them guessing. 

Not in this universe. Prequels are SW movies. Disney comedies are saturday morning fillers at best.

There are only 6 real SW movies: Episode I to VI.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Goodnightmoon said:

The more I think about it, the less i understand what is happening here, I think this will be remembered in the future as some kind of collective madness, a movie that was absolutely amazing getting all kinds of absolutely undeserved criticism just because its different and it takes a lot of risks, a great movie is sooner or later remembered as that and I have no doubts TLJ will be considered as that in some years but is truly amazing to watch the reactions of the people now, amazing and kind of sad too, because so many of them are pure overreactions, I always have the feeling that people is expecting Disney to ruin the franchise and despite the fact that they didn't they still looking for signs of that failure in any bold movement, so many of the issues this people has with the film make no sense from a narrative or cinematographic pov, is really mindblowing.

Highly doubtful. It seems for the most part, as people get further out from this film, they like it less and less. As more reviews pile in, the scores just keep going down. And I think we're going to see a larger drop than the one TFA saw this weekend, which means worse word of mouth and fewer repeat watchers.

Personally, I can't comprehend the madness of people liking this film. Thinking it was just OK or meh is fine, but liking it? Must be people who are fans of Marvel humor, done poorly I must add, shoved into every movie. Clichéd writing with absolutely no nuance. And a main plot that was, at best, an episode of a generic Sci Fi show, stretched out to fill 2 hrs. People might like this film, but that's either because aren't fans of the OG trilogy, where things of importance actually happened and the stakes were high, or just accept anything with SW in the title. 

Goodnightmoon said:

To each their own. If you like it you like it, cool, who am I to say you're wrong? Though people who disliked, hated, or "meh" about it shouldn't be discredited like many seem to be doing running damage control.. Everyone's got their opinions, as long as they're genuine than I don't see the issue. A large part of movies is subjective, hell all art is, that's part of what makes movies so interesting and unique.

Personally, I fall very much in the "dislike" category. Didn't hate it, and actually think it had a few interesting elements that made it stand out, but overall it just plain didn't resonate with me and felt "off" throughout most of the film. It felt more like it should have been a standalone spinoff film or something, not a mainline Star Wars movie. I'd probably still put it ahead of Episodes 1 and 2 but I actually found Episode 3 far more entertaining despite its many flaws.. So for my money it only receives the bronze medal in the category of "worst Star Wars movies" :P

Still haven't seen Rogue One though.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden