By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Right, do we think a PS4 Portable is coming?

After how they treated the PS Vita, I don't really expect another one, and I don't really expect a hybrid sort of device either. I don't imagine the tech to be powerful enough yet to play PS4 games, and don't really see them dividing themselves among 2 platforms again.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
habam said:
SuperNova said: 

Uhm X86 Chips in 4-6nm would actually work in a mobile form factor.

As far as I know 5 nm or lower is hard to achieve with our current architecture.

At that scale quantum tunneling is expected to take effect so electron can randomly bypass the transistor and ignore it, making it unusable. We need to use quantum computer for anything at that scale.

And I doubt quantum computer is going to mass market anytime soon.

CMIIW

A handheld gamer only (for now).

A better method may be to wait a few years, and make a PS4 pro powered portable that releases along side PS5. They could dial the resolution and frame rates back and have it operate as a PS5 portable, then they could have a docking connection to PS5 that combines the 2 into a PS5pro.

Vita Remote play?

It's already there for whoever wants.

Vor said:
habam said:

Uhm X86 Chips in 4-6nm would actually work in a mobile form factor.

As far as I know 5 nm or lower is hard to achieve with our current architecture.

At that scale quantum tunneling is expected to take effect so electron can randomly bypass the transistor and ignore it, making it unusable. We need to use quantum computer for anything at that scale.

And I doubt quantum computer is going to mass market anytime soon.

CMIIW

Well, node sizes have become confusing with FinFET and other 3D technologies. They are more of marketing terms now than actual all-encompasisng sizes.

In any case, a 5nm chip has already been designed with newer technologiesTSMC is eying trials for 5nm in 2019 and mass production starting in 2020 with 3nm starting later. Samsung is gearing towards 4nm during the same timeframe.

But, yeah, big jumps in technology have become hader and more expensive with manfacturers slowing their adoption rates while they wait for more mature processes. Battery technology decidely remains the most difficult venture with solid-state batteries offering nothing but promises at the moment.

So, I would say that any hardware that would come sooner rather than later will need to rely on the 7nm process scheduled to start on a mass scale from next year.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

Around the Network

I don’t think Sony has any more interest in the portable business, and I’m kindof glad for that. I think it’s better off that they put their resources into continuing to make great games for PS4, and hit the drawing board to make sure PS5 is going to be great too. If this gen has proven anything, it’s that console gaming is still very much alive. Sony doesn’t need to keep butting horns with Nintendo on that front.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

No and they will never make a handheld again.

No.

A portable that can play PS4 games at 720p? Pretty much a Sony Switch? While I love the idea, I don't think it's happening.

I love my Swtich by the way, and would love anything portable with more power. (From Sony, Ninty, or MS of course)

Sony should stick to their core business in the console market. They are really successful with the PS4 as it is.