By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Enix happy for Switch’s success, system could get sequels to older IPs, more

Mar1217 said:
PLZ, FF6 remake with the Project Octopath Traveler engine !!

Why stop there?

How about FF1-6 and DQ I-VII remakes in the engine?

Oh, and DQ VIII HD please?

Around the Network

Let monolith remake chrono trigger.

Wyrdness said:
IkePoR said:

Does Chrono Cross have similar gameplay and follow the story to Trigger?  I never played Cross but I knew it existed, just didn't think it was similar to it.

No it's quite different in gameplay and story is only loosely linked to the original, the game never released in EU.

Oh no. 

It is closely linked to original. 

Xxain said:
Wyrdness said:

No it's quite different in gameplay and story is only loosely linked to the original, the game never released in EU.

Oh no. 

If you cut off the last two-three hours, there would be no connection other than colourful art and Mitsuda. It didn’t add anything To Chrono Trigger except a convoluted an unsatisfying story with character cameos which did not at all resemble their original selves. It’s like taking teenage Bart Simpson and giving him the personality of Dawson Creek, while Lisa Simpson also has the personality of Dawson Creek, and Maggie does too - and, unlike Simpsons depictions, she is voiced rather than mute.

They had all of this discussion of time travel effects and alternate futures causing time to reverse and such that made absolutely no sense in the framework of the original game. Vague hints at some reptile civilization in a lost timeline that allowed the evolution of dragons; and they somehow broke into the human timeline (I am not even sure if Reptites are even mentioned). It is all really forced feeling, like they spent 2-3 minutes racking on some connective tissue; they could be as easily linked to the dragons of Breath of Fire.

In my book, Chrono Cross is far too much of a stretch to belong to the Chrono Trigger canon. It’s like a story written by some fan fiction writer who had only vague knowledge of the topic. It is a totally different game that had things tacked on to force it into something that could be branded as a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Parasite Eve please.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

If you cut off the last two-three hours, there would be no connection other than colourful art and Mitsuda. It didn’t add anything To Chrono Trigger except a convoluted an unsatisfying story with character cameos which did not at all resemble their original selves. It’s like taking teenage Bart Simpson and giving him the personality of Dawson Creek, while Lisa Simpson also has the personality of Dawson Creek, and Maggie does too - and, unlike Simpsons depictions, she is voiced rather than mute.

They had all of this discussion of time travel effects and alternate futures causing time to reverse and such that made absolutely no sense in the framework of the original game. Vague hints at some reptile civilization in a lost timeline that allowed the evolution of dragons; and they somehow broke into the human timeline (I am not even sure if Reptites are even mentioned). It is all really forced feeling, like they spent 2-3 minutes racking on some connective tissue; they could be as easily linked to the dragons of Breath of Fire.

In my book, Chrono Cross is far too much of a stretch to belong to the Chrono Trigger canon. It’s like a story written by some fan fiction writer who had only vague knowledge of the topic. It is a totally different game that had things tacked on to force it into something that could be branded as a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Pretty much this the way they linked them was so out of the field they may have well not even bothered and made CC its own stand alone instalment, good game but a bit too much that doesn't connect as well together.

Jumpin said:
Xxain said:

Oh no. 

Its to early in the morning to write a full plot link, but that vague reptilian reptile civilization is the alternate timeline when Reptiles survived because Lavos never landed on earth which was introduced in one of the many Chrono Trigger endings. They didnt somehow break into the human timeline, that alternate reality was pulled in by the entity, also established in Chrono trigger, to bring balance due to Belthasir sending Chronopolis back in time.

Jumpin said:

When Kid, that baby Baltasar send to Lucca, stopped Serge's death, she created another dimension, called HomeWorld. In this new dimension, Chrono had never stop the Day of Lavos and his is the reason why Chrono, Merle and Lucca's ghosts are there. You can argue Cross is not a direct sequel because it happens in another reality, but it is a Chrono game in essence 

Click HERE and be happy 

Hey Jumpin/Wrydness

Not now because finals, but after Tuesday make a chrono thread and I will answer any questions about the lonkage of the 2 games with ties to Trigger when they apply if you up for the challenge.

IkePoR said:
JRPGfan said:

Chrono series, already has a second game.... Chrono Cross.

Its time for that Chrono Break they had ideas about years and years ago, series needs a 3rd entry.

Chrono Cross was every bit as good as Chrono trigger imo.

Does Chrono Cross have similar gameplay and follow the story to Trigger?  I never played Cross but I knew it existed, just didn't think it was similar to it.

Yes. They are connected.