By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Disney buy 21st Century Fox for $52.4billion

CaptainExplosion said:

Eh, I think just buying the rights to Spider-Man and company would be enough.

But still, now there's hope for Fantastic Four being a GOOD movie!! :D

If it was just about the licences they would have bought those only. This is much much bigger. I mean why? Why buy all of Fox films for $52billion? This isn't like buying Star Wars to make money on toys, this is far beyond that.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
roadkillers said:
This was made 1 day before the release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Why would they do this?

They need all that sweet Star Wars money to pay for all of this. Jesus, Marvel, LucasFilms and Fox in less than ten years. Will the hunger never stop?

Disney is too big now, hope the gov steps in and break them up.....

is this legal?

aren't they now a monopoly of movie industry?

I mean they are the saving grace of many many franchise but... I am afraid that once in power their very well achieved balance could go wrongly the other side..... killing diversity.

Switch!!!

Maybe now we can get HD versions of Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), and Return of the Jedi (1983).... I don't care if I see the borders of the glass Lucas used to do the space battle scenes...

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

This doesn't sounds like a good thing. It seems like Disney may be getting a little too big for its own good.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I've said this elsewhere, but keep in mind that this deal is at least a year away from being approved by the government, if it's approved at all (though it likely will be). Things aren't set in stone just yet.

Angelus said:
I've said this elsewhere, but keep in mind that this deal is at least a year away from being approved by the government if it's approved at all (though it likely will be). Things aren't set in stone just yet.

How are the chances of this will be disapproved by the government?

At first, I thought that this is a good thing. Until users pointed out that Disney owns half of the movie industry thanks to this deal. Even though I stopped giving a shit about movies nowadays because most are becoming boring. It's like Nintendo buying Capcom and Sega. Even though Nintendo is a very creative video game company, no company should have that much power.

Double post.

We have to remember that it was Fox that was looking to sell . People seem to be under the impression that Disney twisted their arm in a hostile takeover type maneuver. The other major candidate that was interested in purchasing was Comcast(Universal), which would have been the exact same scenario. 

This the combined market share of Disney/Fox/Fox Searchlight and Comcast/Fox/Fox Searchlight from the last 5 years -

Disney/Fox/Fox SL Comcast/Fox/Fox SL
2017 31.4% 27.7%
2016 39.7% 25.8%
2015 32.1% 33.6%
2014 32.8% 26.8%
2013 25.1% 22.6%

Doesn't seem like quite the monopoly that people are making it out to be. There's still a lot of competition to go around before they get to that stage. 

PS4/PS3/PC/3DS Owner (Will buy a Switch when mainline Pokemon game is released)