By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Disney buy 21st Century Fox for $52.4billion

BasilZero said:
VGPolyglot said:

It was not because of Fox, that decision was up to Disney. They could have allowed X-Men and Fantastic Four characters if they wanted to.

And why do you think they didnt want to?

Disney was able to put X-Men characters in MvC Infinite but chose not to in order to promote The Avengers.

Now that they've bought the movie rights and will benefit from promoting X-Men, maybe they'll come as DLC.

BasilZero said:
VGPolyglot said:

Because they were trying to force a monopoly.

Blah blah Monopoly is all you can say - one sentence wonders.

Do some research and look up the history of Marvel Licensing rights

The irony.

DevilRising said:
You have to love how people are cheering for this. As if Disney having an even BIGGER monopoly of the ENTIRE entertainment industry, could ever be any kind of good thing.

Yeah, X-Men and FF can now somehow be shoe-horned, far too late, into the MCU, so that Disney can continue to pump out 3+ Marvel films per year. Every year. For the next several decades.

Honestly....the movie industry is in the sorry state that it is, specifically because the modern movie-going audience has not only allowed them to get this bad, but cheerfully helped them to. People proved with every new Transformers or Fast and the Furious or now Star Wars film, that they will gladly pay for shit. And because shit makes money, movie studios will continue to produce more shit that people will continue to pay for.

People vote with their dollars, and instead of creativity and risk taking and bold new ideas, people have let studios know that what they apparently really want, is a never-ending stream of sequels, franchises, remakes and reboots. So congrats, movie-goers. You did this to yourselves.

This. All of it.

I'm shocked to see these users that are normally concerned about such practices from other companies (and in other industries) now suddenly cheering for a company reaching 40% market share, controlling media/social networks and churning out generic yearly releases.

Today's people are truly demoted to be mindless consumers. Nothing more.

Around the Network

Fox gets 25% of Disney's shares????

I'm surprised Disney was willing to do that, that's a great deal. While Fox just sold all sorts of assets, what remained has far lower operational costs and, again, 25% of Disney's shares.

Replicant said:
BasilZero said:

And why do you think they didnt want to?

Disney was able to put X-Men characters in MvC Infinite but chose not to in order to promote The Avengers.

Now that they've bought the movie rights and will benefit from promoting X-Men, maybe they'll come as DLC.

BasilZero said:

Blah blah Monopoly is all you can say - one sentence wonders.

Do some research and look up the history of Marvel Licensing rights

The irony.

DevilRising said:
You have to love how people are cheering for this. As if Disney having an even BIGGER monopoly of the ENTIRE entertainment industry, could ever be any kind of good thing.

Yeah, X-Men and FF can now somehow be shoe-horned, far too late, into the MCU, so that Disney can continue to pump out 3+ Marvel films per year. Every year. For the next several decades.

Honestly....the movie industry is in the sorry state that it is, specifically because the modern movie-going audience has not only allowed them to get this bad, but cheerfully helped them to. People proved with every new Transformers or Fast and the Furious or now Star Wars film, that they will gladly pay for shit. And because shit makes money, movie studios will continue to produce more shit that people will continue to pay for.

People vote with their dollars, and instead of creativity and risk taking and bold new ideas, people have let studios know that what they apparently really want, is a never-ending stream of sequels, franchises, remakes and reboots. So congrats, movie-goers. You did this to yourselves.

This. All of it.

I'm shocked to see these users that are normally concerned about such practices from other companies (and in other industries) now suddenly cheering for a company reaching 40% market share, controlling media/social networks and churning out generic yearly releases.

Today's people are truly demoted to be mindless consumers. Nothing more.

The problems we face in a first world country.  For shame.  I'm just glad the pickle jar is full of pickles for my daughter's school lunches.

BasilZero said:
Replicant said:

I'm hoping for this.

Anyways too many kiddies playing economics on a gaming forum so I'll end my discussion here cause I got bigger fish to fry than to post about economics on the internet :p.

The irony.

Happy fishing.

BasilZero said:
Replicant said:

I'm hoping for this.

Anyways too many kiddies playing economics on a gaming forum so I'll end my discussion here cause I got bigger fish to fry than to post about economics on the internet :p.

OK then, you have a great day too.

Around the Network

We X-men fans are enlightened! I will probably purchase MvCI if the x-men appear.

Also I guess Anastasia is now considered a Disney Princess. Well that would make her my favorite one now lol.

BasilZero said:
I hope they buy DC Comics next.

Which will never happen unless WB is desperate for cash or falling under. Hopefully this never will happen.

Darwinianevolution said:
BasilZero said:

Here's what each company gets.

Disney gets:

• 20th Century Fox, Fox 2000, Fox Searchlight movie and television studios

• Majority control (60%) of Hulu

• Several big movie franchises, including X-Men, Avatar and Deadpool

• Major TV franchises, including The Simpsons, This Is Us and Modern Family

• International media businesses, including 350 channels in 170 countries, Star India and 39% of the European pay-TV operator Sky

• FX and National Geographic Partners

• Fox's regional sports networks, including YES

• $13.7 billion of Fox's debt

• An estimated $2 billion in cost savings

• Bob Iger's contract extended through 2021

Fox gets:

• 25% of Disney shares

• $8.5 billion cash dividend from the spun-off company

Fox's spinoff company keeps:

• Fox broadcasting

• Fox News

• Fox Business News

• FS1 & FS2 sports networks

• Big Ten Network

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/media/disney-fox/index.html

Wow, 25% of Disney's shares? That HUGE. No wonder they sold so much to Disney if they were going to get that many shares anyway. How much does Disney itself has in terms of its own shares?

What they said on Australian news this morning was Rupert Murdoch because of the families holdings in 21st  century fox  with 4% of Disney shares will be the biggest individual shareholder  Steve Jobs widow was with a similar 4% the largest  but sold half her shares earlier in the year next is Disney's  general council .

Last edited by mjk45 - on 14 December 2017

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I'm going to say this right now...

If you claim to be pro-net neutrality, then you cannot say that this is good in any way. You can't complain about companies controlling the internet, and then be perfectly fine with a basic monopoly in the entertainment business because mah Mahvel.

TH3-D0S3R said:
I'm going to say this right now...

If you claim to be pro-net neutrality, then you cannot say that this is good in any way. You can't complain about companies controlling the internet, and then be perfectly fine with a basic monopoly in the entertainment business because mah Mahvel.

Absolutely wrong.  I'm not a Disney fan, but I'm a Marvel fan.  They have a product that I want that I'm will to vote with my wallet in support of that product.  And that product is ultimately a "WANT, " not a need.  I can do without if needed be.  Not the same as the internet which in essence is a tool, a near necessity.

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 14 December 2017