By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 85 Meta (49 Critics) - 93% Rotten (169 Critics)

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Oh man this is reassuring. After Rogue One and all the behind-the-scenes drama with Trevorrow and Lord/Miller I've been pessimistic.

You didn't like Rogue One? I loved it. In retrospect, I find it was a much better movie than The Force Awakens.

----------

I won't read critics since I want to know next to nothing about the plot when I go see it at the premiere tomorrow but this score makes me hopeful it'll be good!

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
I wonder how much of the Force Awakens hate is genuine and how much of it is just "It's popular so it sucks" bandwagoning. I genuinely enjoyed it and Rogue One. Maybe not quite as much at any of the original trilogy movies, but they're still leaps and bounds better than the prequels. Phantom Menace will always be the weakest of the Star Wars movies, and was the only one where I walked out of the theater less than impressed.

I know that I loved TFA when it came out and then I got to see the flaws in it. The most glaring one being that it follows A New Hope much too closely but it did a great job of introducing new characters that we care about and setting things in place for The Last Jedi.

Also, I'd say Attack of the Clones is the worst of the prequels, it's almost unwatchable.

Signature goes here!

"I hate Star Wars" is a new hipster thing?

Click HERE and be happy 

haxxiy said:

I feel like this trilogy, instead of approaching Lucas' original vision, is a bait-and-switch from the older characters we love, to marketable cute droids, aliens and a young, ever shifting "diverse" cast of characters who of course are paid less, and the mass-produced films of an expanded universe of little creativity but plenty of executive meddling.

There was an interview with someone in charge that was to the effect of casting diversity or especially having a woman lead because they want to get the woman viewer demographic to like star wars.

The person said that star wars fans are so die hard that they could do anything and they would still go and watch the film, so they aren't worried at all about trying to please them, but instead go after the non star wars fans and try and convert them to such.

TruckOSaurus said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Oh man this is reassuring. After Rogue One and all the behind-the-scenes drama with Trevorrow and Lord/Miller I've been pessimistic.

You didn't like Rogue One? I loved it. In retrospect, I find it was a much better movie than The Force Awakens.

----------

I won't read critics since I want to know next to nothing about the plot when I go see it at the premiere tomorrow but this score makes me hopeful it'll be good!

For me it was disappointing. I'd probably rank it fifth, behind the original trilogy and TFA, and ahead of the prequel trilogy. 

I think it has a few good things going for it: 1) a treatment of the rebellion as occupying a moral gray zone; 2) some great visual effects and cinematography; and 3) a spectacular third-act space battle, arguably the best in the entire series.

Now, the bad.

The characters are uninteresting, apart from K-2SO. Krennic is a toothless and unmemorable villain. Erso is boring, and usually a passive onlooker in her own movie. The rest of the supporting cast struggles to be noticed. A movie with a large ensemble cast like this can work -- look at The Guns of Navarone or Ocean's 11 -- but you need a bunch of sympathetic or dynamic characters.

Reshoots really hurt the flow, the pacing, and the content of the movie. If Edwards had been allowed to film unencumbered, I think the final product would have been better. The first two acts drag and drag, setting up an admittedly rousing third act finale.

The digital actors. Every time the cartoon that was Grand Moff Tarkin showed up on screen, I was immediately thrown out of the action and reminded, awkwardly and painfully, that I was watching a movie. The same goes for Carrie Fisher's digital cameo, which is the last thing we see in the film. What a terrible way to punctuate what was a thrilling, breathless scene just before.

Fan service. To be fair, TFA is also guilty of this, and of mining the recognizable people, places, and things we now associate with Star Wars. But Rogue One took it too far. Darth Vader's role was too big -- a product of reshoots, from what I understand. The appearance of Ponda Baba and Dr. Evazan was gratuitous, as was Bail Organa's cameo. It goes on and on: R2-D2, C-3PO, Red Leader, Whills, Yavin Base, and of course that awful final shot.

Around the Network

I remain sceptical. The Force Awakens was also very well received by critics, but was actually pretty horrendous.
There has only really been two good Star Wars movies ever. The first one is of course the best, then Empire Strikes Back, both still have their issues and are nowhere near as good as they are made out to be, but at least somewhat enjoyable.
But it is a franchise that has this fanatical following that will watch whatever crap that gets released with the name Star Wars on it.

I dunno how to feel about the last movie, but I'm still eager to watch it. Rogue One on the other hand was a joy to watch.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

twintail said:
Cloudman said:
I dunno how to feel about the last movie, but I'm still eager to watch it. Rogue One on the other hand was a joy to watch.

I thought it was alright. Had a boring cast of characters with almost zero depth.

I liked it for a one-off side story. Also, I was really glad to see mah boi Donnie Yen in the movie.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Sounds like it's full of the usual Disney sjw agenda. Dopey male characters need to be constantly saved by assertive female leads. And that's coming from ET Canada. Was really hoping for something darker, similar to Rogue One's final act.

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

I thought it was alright. Had a boring cast of characters with almost zero depth.

I agree. I did not really like the characters. But overall I enjoyed the movie. I guess had it been a saga film the way I felt about the character would have been a bigger deal. 

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut