By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Alabama father of lesbian daughter who killed herself: "How is my daughter a pervert?"

vivster said:
I still don't really think "pervert" is an actual word. People think it means something, but it really doesn't. Feels like people just throw it around at anything they don't like or don't want to comprehend.

I'm lost Vivster. What does that have to do with the bigger image?

Around the Network
epicurean said:
Even if you think homosexuality is a sin or forbidden by God, there are certainly ways to get that across without reverting to hate. At that point you're just cherry picking the Bible.

Especially as Christians are supposed to 'hate the sin, love the sinner'.

Can anyone find any direct quotes from Roy Moore where he indicates that there should be legal punishments for homosexual acts? I can only find things said by 'spokespersons for Moore' or 'strategists (lol) for Moore' who have kind of said these things.

monocle_layton said:

vivster said:
I still don't really think "pervert" is an actual word. People think it means something, but it really doesn't. Feels like people just throw it around at anything they don't like or don't want to comprehend.

I don't really see a bigger image than people misusing the word "pervert". Did I miss something while not reading your OP?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
monocle_layton said:

I don't really see a bigger image than people misusing the word "pervert". Did I miss something while not reading your OP?

The point is Moore said homosexual people are pervert by nature.

What does a discussion on the meaning of a word have to do with anything? It ignores the overall image.

Locknuts said:
epicurean said:
Even if you think homosexuality is a sin or forbidden by God, there are certainly ways to get that across without reverting to hate. At that point you're just cherry picking the Bible.

Especially as Christians are supposed to 'hate the sin, love the sinner'.

Can anyone find any direct quotes from Roy Moore where he indicates that there should be legal punishments for homosexual acts? I can only find things said by 'spokespersons for Moore' or 'strategists (lol) for Moore' who have kind of said these things.

The whole point of a spokesperson is to speak for him, if he thought the person didn't represent him he would have got rid of them.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/12/11/how-is-my-daughter-a-pervert-alabama-dads-plain-spoken-rebuke-of-roy-moore-strikes-a-nerve/?utm_term=.417535f2ad69

Perhaps it was the man’s strong but plain-spoken rebuke outside a Roy Moore rally on the campaign’s final night, condemning the Republican candidate’s past comments lambasting homosexuality.

Perhaps it was the admission of the man, a peanut farmer, that he too, had harbored some of the same anti-gay feelings.

Perhaps it was his sign, a photograph of his daughter, a lesbian who, he said, had killed herself when she was 23.

The 74-year-old Mathis, a former county commissioner and state representative in Alabama, said he was speaking out against Moore because of his own experience with his daughter, Patti Sue.

He said that Moore’s comments on homosexuality amounted to calling gay people 'perverts.'

'This is something people need to stop and think about,' Mathis said. 'You’re supposed to uphold the Constitution. The Constitution said all men were created equal. But how is my daughter a pervert just because she’s gay?'

Moore, whose politics are sharply tinged by a rigid interpretation of Christianity, has a long track record of speaking harshly about gays. He has said that homosexual conduct 'should be illegal,' that it is 'an inherent evil, and an act so heinous that it defies one’s ability to describe it,' and that 'sodomy is against the laws of natuHe said that Moore’s comments on homosexuality amounted to calling gay people 'perverts.'

The best part? Buh bye Roy Moore. May we never see your white bread, red neck chickenshit, race hating, sexual harassing ass EVER AGAIN.

And Trump begged Alabama to bring this fool to the Senate? Keeerist! 

vivster said:
per·vert
verb

pərˈvərt/
  1. 1.
    alter (something) from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended.
    "he was charged with conspiring to pervert the course of justice"
Saying pervert doesn't really exist is a perversion of the English language. To be honest, it's used A LOT, perhaps a bit too much however it's one of the strongest words in my opinion in the English language. It can be used to temper just about anything that's abused which unfortunately is one HELL of a lot of things now. It's used mostly to describe sexual deviancy however it's far from limited to that. There was a time when there were very few things perverted but with things like the internet linking like deviant minds and .05% of A LOT of countries being active hate/enemies of the USA or other places, society itself is getting perverted in entirely too many places.

As hard as I can try, I simply can't fathom why people would give a shit about what total strangers are doing with their genitals.

Some may know, but I'm natively Texan. Not all are like this, but the area I grew up was super religious so I grew up hating gay people. And it continued until I was 13 until I got my first gf who had a gay brother. I talked to him and I realized to myself: Why the hell do I care what other people feel attracted to? And her brother was cool so I learned that it was stupid to hate them for no reason.

I still feel bad I ever hated people for their sexual preference to begin with. But I changed, so that's what matters most. I'm glad I met her brother, it changed me and showed that being kind and understanding can break most barriers. In my case, Idk how I'd feel these days if he hadn't been patient with me