By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Alabama father of lesbian daughter who killed herself: "How is my daughter a pervert?"

Johnw1104 said:
monocle_layton said:

I enjoy seeing people break mental boundaries, but knowing he had to see his daughter die to change is quite depressing to read. 

I wonder how many people would still be homophobic after such an event. If he is capable of changing his views, then I hope more people do as well.

Well given he said he apologized while she was alive it seems that he did change his mind much earlier, but this also would have happened in a time where it was absolutely normal to still be publicly homophobic so one father's acceptance just wasn't enough.

That's the thing with entrenched views and beliefs that you've held your whole life and are shared by your community, though: they almost always go completely unchallenged until you personally have cause to reevaluate them, as the people around you only reinforce your preconceptions.

That's the sad thing I've seen many times with kids who came out in the past (still happens today, but less often), as their parents' knee-jerk reaction was often to reject it and attempt to "fix" them. Generally, the parents come around rather quickly once they've had time to digest what has happened and realize they love their kid far more than some unfounded hostility towards homosexuals that had been drilled into them from the time they were born. The end result is often that former "apathetic" homophobes become some of the most ardent supporters of that community, as they feel the need to protect their kids from the homophobes they know from personal experience are myriad in their communities.

The one time I can say I personally experienced something like this was my former apathy towards the drug-addicted, as once I'd had friends and family go through it and I saw how easy it is to fall into and how difficult it is to get out I realized my previous view was simply lazy and inconvenient so that I didn't have to take their plight seriously. Sometimes it requires that personal experience as it otherwise doesn't even occur to you to reconsider your views.

He did apologize early, but for many children the words of parents can sometimes last forever. The amount of regret he most likely posseses is unmeasurable.

A lot of people seem to ignore that these beliefs literally get passed down. The dude grew up accepting it, and he had to pay the consequences. A lot of people only look at racism and homophobia, but it extends to everyone honestly. Hell, even depressed people are still given a bad rep (Paul Dickhead Watson says depressed people are 'childish' and should 'actually experience something bad and grow up'). It's seriously unfortunate that they're given such awful viewpoints that results in terrible situations.

Around the Network

I feel the need to remind people Alabama is not the United States as a whole. Many people living in much more important places like New York and California are much less horrible.

Roy Moore couldn't even get a county level job in New York.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:
I feel the need to remind people Alabama is not the United States as a whole. Many people living in much more important places like New York and California are much less horrible.

Still a sizeable portion of the US.

Sure, he may not get a job in New York, but that's why we should stop him from getting a spot in Alabama. It's time to expose who he truly is - an awful person.

Bandorr said:
Zoombael said:
Father of teen who killed herself ... when she was 23.

Teen

I'm doing a search for the word "teen". I see it no where. Where are you getting "Father of teen who killed herself"?

Was the original title. Small error, but at the same time I never thought a mistake in a title would be that important

KrspaceT said:

This is true, there is almost no crime or corruption in New York and California.  No horrible people there at all.

I've got to say, I do find it amusing when people condemn stereotyping while using stereotypes.

Around the Network

Roy Moore is a disgusting human being. This is the same human being who blamed 9/11 on America's efforts to get away from Christianity and embrace progressive values such as gay equality. Also the same one that wants to ban any Muslim from serving in Congress. I won't be surprised if he wins though.

Alabama honestly sounds like a small slice of hell. I don't understand why the separation of church and state is lost on so many people; it's an easy guideline to follow, and if you can't, get out of politics.

Last edited by NintendoPie - on 12 December 2017

Smartie900 said:
Roy Moore is a disgusting human being. This is the same human being who blamed 9/11 on America's efforts to get away from Christianity and embrace progressive values such as gay equality. Also the same one that wants to ban any Muslim from serving in Congress. I won't be surprised if he wins though.

Not a bad idea, anyone that has loyalties to old world fairy tales should not be in it.  He should follow his own idea.

I still don't really think "pervert" is an actual word. People think it means something, but it really doesn't. Feels like people just throw it around at anything they don't like or don't want to comprehend.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

wings said:
Smartie900 said:

Not a bad idea, anyone that has loyalties to old world fairy tales should not be in it.  He should follow his own idea.

Human beings can hold whatever screwed up opinions they want. As long as they don't shove it down other peoples' throat.