By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Sells 10 Million Units Worldwide

Right under the wire!

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Wyrdness said:

It's also the most powerful portable gaming device which means they have improved significantly as hardware have gone, it even runs PS4 games like Doom on the go how is this a bad thing for consumers.

Remember I'm only speaking from my perspective ok?

So Doom is not a bad thing because I have a choice. Doom on Switch does not hold technically speaking compared to Doom on PS4 But that is ok because I can simply choose to play Doom on PS4.

To be clear I'm not saying it's bad on Switch or anything, I'm saying it is not as good. But I have a choice.

Whereas BOTW or Mario Odyssey, well I don't have a choice, I cannot play it on any home system cause it's on the Switch or it's nowhere. And that's what is bad for consumers.

And I am not even talking about the fact those are exclusives, it's not that. the PS4 has its exclusives so the Switch has them too, that's fine. But if Nintendo (as they always did in the past) had BOTH a portable and a dedicated home system I could have played those exclusives on a home system but now I can't cause there is no home system on the Nintendo side and that's not good for consumers. At least for those who care about a dedicated home system. If you prefer portable gaming then you are fine or course.

Both BOW and SMO are GOTY contenders it took one to beat the other while other games didn't come close to them so I don't get your point here in that regard because they are still massive improvements over previous games even if you care only about dedicated home experience.

sethnintendo said:

What the hell did you think was going to happen when they merged their home and hand held divisions together?

At first I don't know, no one knew until they explained what the Switch was and until the hardware was going to be looked at.

Now in retrospective and once I knew it was going to be this hybrid system, I guess I expected a system that was as powerful as the Switch is in portable mode but way more powerful when docked. I expected some extra processing power in the dock to make it a fully fledged home system too.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Good for Nintendo, but not good for those who care to have better hardware. If one can expect flaws in one's system of choice to be improved on the next time they release new hardware cause they want to keep motivation of people to buy it, well Nintendo does not have to worry about that. Why improve hardware, just create new concepts (which is fine, don't get me wrong on that) Why improve current flaws? People are going to buy the machine anyways.
Examples: Why better battery life? 3 Hours for games like Zelda is fine, people buy it regardless, Why choosing better CPU's and GPU's. The Tegra 1 chip chosen was already outdated by the Tegra 2 chip when the Switch was released. But Nintendo still went for the inferior Tegra 1 and did that stop the sales? Nope. Why making a home system, a dedicated one I mean? People don't seem to care about that, they seem to think some kind of cross system is the same as an actual home system. About chatting, everybody including some Nintendo fans agree that their solution to chat in online play using cables and a smart phone, is bad, really bad but does that stop the system from selling? Nope, so why even bothering to implement a simple chatting system as you see on PC/PS4/Xbox? No reason since people buy it anyway. Ok then at least this hardware means a cheap retail price? Nope, it's as expensive if not more expensive than other systems that are way more powerful like the PS4...

Bottom line is that the only true winner here is Nintendo, fans not so much and hardcore gamers, not at all.
Too bad cause I would have loved to one day explore the realms of BOTW or play Mario in his Odyssey or play that 4th episode of Metroid Prime as I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes back when I had a GameCube and later on a Wii. My hopes so far were that one day Nintendo would make better hardware that would bring their games to modern day graphics but Why would they do that? What motivation for them to do that? There's always a slim chance that they do cause no one can tell for sure what will be done in 5 or 10 years from now but the chance is small really small...

Better hardware!? Better than what hardware exatly!? Switch is first real hybrid console, and actualy its pretty good hardware. Tegra 2 wasnt available on market for Switch on time, I think that you still dont have not single Tegra 2 devaice on market, having that on mind, Switch couldnt had better battery life or stronger power, but next revisions and iterations will probably have improved those things.

Yes, online chat is bad, but offcourse that bad chat will not stop people from buying console that has great concept, good hardware and great games, those things are incomparible more important. Switch is not expansive for hybrid devaice.

Nintendo Switch games look prety modern and good.

Very strange post, it seems that you confusing good hardware with strong hardware, Switch has good hardware but its not strong, and if I understood you corect, you want Nintendo to make console with strong hardware, thats ok, but you also need to realise that most people dont care about power of hardware espacily if console have great concept like Switch.

LethalP said:
Switch done 10 million in 284 days, PS4 done 10 million in 268 days. That's a close one. Wonder if Switch can overtake PS4 considering PS4 was also ahead of the Wii at this point.

Switch has 20 days of sales of December left so Switch will take PS4, but later PS4 will enter second holiday season so will overtake Switch, thats why its not best comparsion, but its important both consoles have great sales.

Well dang itll pass Wii U Year 1 easily.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Wyrdness said:

It's also the most powerful portable gaming device which means they have improved significantly as hardware have gone, it even runs PS4 games like Doom on the go how is this a bad thing for consumers.

So Doom is not a bad thing because I have a choice. Doom on Switch does not hold technically speaking compared to Doom on PS4 But that is ok because I can simply choose to play Doom on PS4.

To be clear I'm not saying it's bad on Switch or anything, I'm saying it is not as good. But I have a choice.

Whereas BOTW or Mario Odyssey, well I don't have a choice, I cannot play it on any home system cause it's on the Switch or it's nowhere. And that's what is bad for consumers.

And I am not even talking about the fact those are exclusives, it's not that. the PS4 has its exclusives so the Switch has them too, that's fine. But if Nintendo (as they always did in the past) had BOTH a portable and a dedicated home system I could have played those exclusives on a home system but now I can't cause there is no home system on the Nintendo side and that's not good for consumers. At least for those who care about a dedicated home system. If you prefer portable gaming then you are fine or course.

I understand that you're not a portable gamer. I just don't see what's stopping you from playing BOTW and Oddysey docked on your TV. Why would you be bothered that you can take those games with you wherever you go as well? How is that "bad for consumers"?

Chrizum said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I understand that you're not a portable gamer. I just don't see what's stopping you from playing BOTW and Oddysey docked on your TV. Why would you be bothered that you can take those games with you wherever you go as well? How is that "bad for consumers"?

Because we need more pixels

We reap what we sow

Now I expect 450k weeks for switch on november to reach 10 million on december's first week on vgchartz. Sweet!

LethalP said:
Switch done 10 million in 284 days, PS4 done 10 million in 268 days. That's a close one. Wonder if Switch can overtake PS4 considering PS4 was also ahead of the Wii at this point.

LethalP said:
sethnintendo said:
Apparently investors aren't impressed. Perhaps it will take a financial report to wake their ass up.

It's outpacing the Wii at the same point in time, what the fuck do they want?

I was going to respond to your first post and then saw your second and my reply to that was going to be related so I'll just do them both at once!

According to VGC the Switch isn't outpacing the Wii...

Weeks to reach 10 million units:

Switch: 40

Wii: 36

3DS: 42

PS4 39

The Switch is doing well, but maybe the investors expected it to be farther ahead of the 3DS? Actually, they probably aren't paying that much attention, maybe they just expected higher numbers overall?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

John19 said:
Just clarifying, this is sold through:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Despite launching in March, a month not usually reserved for home console launches, and with the busy holiday shopping season still in full swing, the Nintendo Switch system has already sold 10 million units to consumers around the world, according to Nintendo’s internal sales figures.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171212005456/en/

The article doesn't seem to have the quote though that says it's sold to consumers.