By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - WGM: Bermuda Revokes Gay Marriage After 6 Months

Does this set a dangerous precedent for gay marriage elsewhere?

Yes 3 17.65%

No 8 47.06%

It's possible 4 23.53%

I'm not sure 2 11.76%

Total:17

From article:

"The country’s MPs have voted to re-ban same-sex marriage, just six months after it was legalised. US soldier who defected to North Korea in 1965 dead at 77 Under the proposed new bill, same-sex couples won’t be able to marry, but will instead enter into a ‘domestic partnership’. Speaking in favour of the bill, backbencher Lawrence Scott told the Bermuda Assembly: ‘As it stands now, they [LGBT couples] can have the name “marriage” but without the benefits.

‘But after this bill passes, they have the benefits and just not the name marriage. The benfits are what they really want.’"

tl;dr: Bermuda recently allowed LBGT people in the country to marry. They, however, were not given the rights of a straight marriage but still recieved a marriage certificate. In a recent ruling by their surpreme court they did what essentially amounts to a "seperate but equal" bill that gives them the benefits of marriage... however, they are no longer 'married' but rather recognized as "domestic partners" in their country. Bermuda is currently the only country to take away gay marriage after allowing it.

Read more at the source here: http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/11/bermuda-going-re-ban-sex-marriage-7150707/?ito=cbshare

Around the Network

Doubt other countries will follow buy still terrible news. Bermuda needs to get their shit together.

From the article it doesn't sound that it really got taken away. They lost the term "marriage" but won the associated rights and benefits with it. Sounds like a net win to me.

Should probably adjusted in the title as they're not revoked but rather renamed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Soooo...the name goes away, but the benefits come. Well...that's...good, isn't it? It just shows how much stock people put into the WORD "marriage" instead of the actual thing. Kinda sad, really.

Sounds like gay couples finally have what everyone should have - the benefits without a term that the state should have no association with. That is, my favourite solution is to have a solution similar to what gay couples get in Bermuda for everyone, everywhere, if the state really needs to know the relatioship statuses of people. In a way, marriage is a very loaded term, which is why I think no state should have any association with it. The term is probably the biggest reason why I'm probably never going to marry despite being in a stable relationship.

Around the Network

I suppose that most gay couples only want the benefits of a marriage...well...who doesn't. So, screw the name.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

jason1637 said:
Doubt other countries will follow buy still terrible news. Bermuda needs to get their shit together.

Why should they get their shit together?Because they may not support the same views as you?Everyone is not and the same sex wagon,if you can't respect that oh well.

vivster said:

From the article it doesn't sound that it really got taken away. They lost the term "marriage" but won the associated rights and benefits with it. Sounds like a net win to me.

Should probably adjusted in the title as they're not revoked but rather renamed.

It's still an obvious distinction and discrimination towards them.

StarOcean said:

From article:

"The country’s MPs have voted to re-ban same-sex marriage, just six months after it was legalised. US soldier who defected to North Korea in 1965 dead at 77 Under the proposed new bill, same-sex couples won’t be able to marry, but will instead enter into a ‘domestic partnership’. Speaking in favour of the bill, backbencher Lawrence Scott told the Bermuda Assembly: ‘As it stands now, they [LGBT couples] can have the name “marriage” but without the benefits.

Always be careful with copy-pasting.

Bandorr said:
REDZONE said:

Why should they get their shit together?Because they may not support the same views as you?Everyone is not and the same sex wagon,if you can't respect that oh well.

Just wanted to say I find it absolutely hilarious that your 666th post was one defending homophobia, bigotry, and goes against basic human decency to treat everyone equal.

Fantastic timing.

You find my 666th post defending someone or people with a different opinion to you and others,fantastic? Thanks.