By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Enix interested in porting classic games to Switch

Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda has spoken about his desire for the company to make as many of their older titles available as digital releases on newer platforms, like Nintendo Switch.

He recognises that there are younger generations that may have heard about their past games but have no means to play them on modern consoles, although adds that they must modernise them rather than relying on straight ports.

“One of our other big initiatives is to get as many of our past titles available via digital releases. Among the younger generations of gamers, you’ve got lots of people out there who may have heard of our past titles but have never had an opportunity to play them,” Matsuda explained to MCV in their latest issue.

“So we think that programme of porting and transferring the older titles over to newer platforms, such as the Switch, is very important. So that people get that awareness of our back catalogue. Just straight ports isn’t cutting it, we need to update those and modernise them to make something that works for modern gamers too.”

Examples of this stance can be seen with Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX’s return on PlayStation 4 and PC, which not only saw Square Enix make graphical improvements but introduced new features such as the Character Booster that let you freely increase your HP, MP, and Gil so that you could simply enjoy the story.

http://nintendoeverything.com/square-enix-interested-in-bringing-past-games-to-switch/

Around the Network

Time to bring TWEWY and Chrono Trigger !

Bring an HD version of Chrono Trigger with the DS gamemodes added and I'm golden.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Is ff15 considered classic yet? :p

Get ready for NES Final Fantasy

Around the Network

I would love this.

The ability to port saves back and forth between PS3 and PSP for PSOne Classics was great for classic JRPGs.

This process would be even easier on the Switch.

Topic of SE porting old games to Switch.
Topic of Capcom porting old games to Switch.

Apparently all these sales tests of old games, that us Switch owners were put to through, to gauge interest in the system was just used to gauge how much we want old ports.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles coming exclusively to Switch. Get your wallets ready.

I would love to play FF1-8, Tactics, and X on Switch. Along with Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Chrono Trigger, Front Mission, Vagrant Story, SaGa 1-3, and Romancing Saga 1-3. On the Enix side, Terranigma, Illusion of Time, Soul Blazer, ActRaiser, Dragon Quest 1-10, and E.V.O. Quest for Eden.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Only means good things. A lot of respect for SquareEnix lately.