By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) Special Edition and PS4 Pro enhancements announced

Intrinsic said:
Landale_Star said:
Targeting 60fps but with how much success? Even the PS2 version targeted 60fps, just it usually ran somewhere around 15fps. From the brief trailer this is clearly better than that but if it hits it's targets with the same consistency as FFXV then performance mode might be worse than cinematic mode.

Still, I love the game, I'll definitely be buying it for the 3rd time.

If the trailer you are talking about is the one they have been showing or every single showing of the game? What you are looking at is the game running in cinematic mode and targeting 30fps not 60fps.

Kinda just points at why I think this whole FPS thing is pointless. Most people don't even know what they are looking at. My take, I don't care if you run at 30/60fps. As long as its locked and steady. 

I can't say that fps is pointless, even if most don't realise the difference.

I always prefer 60fps, but it's no deal breaker. I agree that a consistent locked framerate is better than a fluctuating one which is what I am referring to in my comment, the original game was crazy with frame drops and this is obviously better. But what I'm interested in is how consistently the performance mode hits 60fps, like I said FFXV tries this but it's up and down so much that the locked cinematic mode is better there (on current hardware). From what I can see in trailers there don't seem to be severe fluctuations but obviously trailers could select the best performing areas.

If its a good performance mode, I'll definitely be very happy with that. If it sucks then I hope cinematic is steady and I'll enjoy that. I'd really like some additional options to customize how the game looks and performs that go deeper than broad performance or cinematic modes. Consoles games should be able to adjust settings like a PC game.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Nem said:
I still think Sony is sending this game to die because they aren't adding new collosi.

I think you're missing the point here. This game is definitely a classic and the aim here is to bring a classic to this generation with graphics of this generation, not to change the game itself. Kind of when they release a new version of a Mozart symphony, NO ONE expects to hear added melodies or new score, just a better mastering for better sound quality without messing with the original...

At least that's my take on this.

This is not a symphony, it's a game that was released on a super popular system (ps2) and a popular system (ps3). There aren't many people who haven't played it yet. Just a graphical upgrade won't bring back many fans, not when it's nearly a full price game. 

You see that for example all Wii U ports Nintendo brings to switch have new content. By doing that you appeal to existing fans aswell. I want to get this game, but i can't justify getting it in this state. The whole changing the game thing is silly. New collosi could simply be optional.

Nem said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I think you're missing the point here. This game is definitely a classic and the aim here is to bring a classic to this generation with graphics of this generation, not to change the game itself. Kind of when they release a new version of a Mozart symphony, NO ONE expects to hear added melodies or new score, just a better mastering for better sound quality without messing with the original...

This is not a symphony, it's a game that was released on a super popular system (ps2) and a popular system (ps3). There aren't many people who haven't played it yet. Just a graphical upgrade won't bring back many fans, not when it's nearly a full price game. 

You see that for example all Wii U ports Nintendo brings to switch have new content. By doing that you appeal to existing fans aswell. I want to get this game, but i can't justify getting it in this state. The whole changing the game thing is silly. New collosi could simply be optional.

There are plenty of people who think the PS3 remakes where a scam and refused to buy them. This on the other hand is a remake of a PS2 game that's worth buying. I also doubt how many people who own a PS4 played this on either PS2 or PS3. Or even had a PS2 and where old enough to play this game to begin with. Same goes for Medievil and Crash in my opinion.

Besides didn't Uncharted collection and the last of us remastered sold over the million units each. There are plenty of gamers which this game could appeal to, they just have to market it right this time.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Nem said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I wouldn't mind having more colossi as an option yet it would never feel part of the game. It was perfect, well rounded the way it was. The extra colossi would always feel out of place. Same as adding more stuff to the environment will disrupt the immersion.
They did add a new (optional) control scheme which is fine, but I wouldn't want them to mess with the content.  I want to replay the game the way I remember it from ps2 and ps3. Ofcourse if you could simply ignore it, or if the extra stuff is completely standalone, then that's fine. However I don't want an intruder in the landscape I have such fond memories of. Now will I finally make it to the top of the tower in this version...

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

I’m concerned about the way he worded that.  I’m just saying that when it was first announced I wasn’t expecting it so early afterward 

What's the big deal here? Why is changing one's name so important? If you don't like your current name why did you pick it in the first place?

And Before you say, it will give choice, I'll say, sure, it's an extra feature for those who care and that's fine but it's not like this is a revolution in video games, like to say forget about VR, name changing is coming ladies and gentlemen...

As for this special edition of Shadow, I hope it's available in Europe too cause I totally wanna play this game in 60fps

because I'm a 25 year old man(child) and didn't know that in 2007 I would choose my name forever.  I also actually care about my trophy collection and friends and don't care to reinvite them all.  So yeah I'm a bit stuck now with SolidSnake91192 (which isn't even my birthday because I had a mental fart when making it instead of 91892 lol)

I am Iron Man

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Nem said:
I still think Sony is sending this game to die because they aren't adding new collosi.

I partially agree with Nem, where they have added lot of other features like new game modes, new control options,  they could have added extra collosi for those who are interested in playing extended edition, until it unless Sony is planning to releases shadow of colossus 2 and include the missing collosi in it. 

The PS4 release looks like a completely different game, wow!
I am glad to have waited and not gotten this earlier. Hype!

Nem said:

The original team is not working on this all. Why would you want grunt workers (Blueprint games specializes port/remasters) to be given the task to design new collosi for the game? SONY made a great choice - Do not lower the quality of what is considered to be masterpiece by allowing another team to potentially create content that is not on par with the original. There are just some games that should not be altered unless it's by the original people and SotC is one of them.