By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Monster Hunter World: 3rd Beta (LIVE NOW)

Hiku said:

My impressions so far:

I've played around a little bit in Training Mode, and then I went out and played the Quests together with a friend. Just the two of us.
I chose to use the Insect Glavie, because I like that you can send out and control a bug, as well as the jump mechanic that lets you mount enemies.
(So far it's the only weapon I've used in quests, but I plan on testing some other classes today and tomorrow.)

Quest #1 - The first time we failed due to a time up. The second time we managed to beat it.
Quest #2 - Same as above.
Quest #3 - We failed this one twice. Once due to time up, and the second time due to dying.

What I've taken away from this so far is that there are some things I like, and some things I don't like. I'll go over the things I like when I've played more and gotten a better understanding of the game. But so far I'm having fun. I'm not blown away, but it's been fun.

However, some things I don't like that I want to mention:

How Time Limits on quests work - 20 minutes seems a bit short, especially for beginners of the series. (I read above that they're usually longer in the previous games, so maybe this will change.) But another thing I don't understand is why they make the timer start as soon as you start the quest. Why not give us a bit of time to prepare in the camp before starting the timer? I suppose you'll be able to do this outside of quests before going in, but still I don't see why they can't let you do both.

Timer during the tracking portion? - I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, so I'd like to hear from MH veterans, but wouldn't it be more fun if the timer didn't start until you discover the monster? Or at least if the tracking portion had a separate timer? Because while the game is called Monster Hunter, I spend very little time actually tracking the monster properly because of the 20 minute timer ticking down. I feel like I can't look around properly for clues and signs, footprints, broken trees, etc, and instead I'm just running around like a headless chicken, only looking at clues that happen to pass me by while I try to cover as much ground as possible due to the timer. If there was no timer, or if the tracking part has a separate timer, you could do things like lure smaller animals to a certain area that happens to be the boss monster's favorite food, while surrounding the area with traps, to lure him out, etc. But the way things are now there doesn't seem to be as much emphasis on the tracking portion as there is on just covering as much ground as possible in the shortest amount of time, while looking at clues that happen to come your way. Or am I wrong?
Because if I chose to actively wander off to just look for clues, and take my time doing so because I imagine there are things you could miss if you are constantly running, if it doesn't lead to anything then I've lost a lot of valuable time.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I found it more effective to just run and cover as much ground as possible. This is not what I expected when I heard about footprints and such.

After beating a boss, they give me only 5 seconds to pick up loot - Maybe this is a Beta only thing, but being transported out of the quest so soon after killing the boss made me miss picking up loot left by the boss.

Quest codes for invites - Why not just have your username be the term people use to search for? Or just have a normal invite system like any other game where you can set a private lobby (which you can here) and then invite people from your friends list, or just enter their name? No random people will be able to join your game if you set it to private, so I don't understand why they are using codes.

And I have some questions to Monster Hunter veterans:

1.) Around how many unique boss monsters are there usually in Monster Hunter games?
2.) Do some bosses get recused for different missions? For example, the fluffy bat we see in the trailer can be a boss for multiple different missions? Or will it only be the boss for one mission?
3.) Around how many unique maps are there usually in MH games?
4.) The movelist we see in the Training Area (example)

are those the only moves we can do? Or is there supposed to be a longer movelist somewhere that I missed? Or can we unlock new combos as we level up?

1. Each boss or big monster in MH ( short for Monster Hunter) is uniquely different. The only time they aren't really different are cousin monsters or gender based. Cousin monsters are monsters that are basically related to each other but have different properties. They can have like one or two same moves but they still have different moves and abilities. Gender based is Rathalos and Rathian. Rathalos is in the beta he's red. Rathian is green but not in the beta. Rathian is female and Rathalos is male. Rathian prefers to fight on ground Rathalos prefers to fight in the sky. There are other differences between them.

2. I don't know how they going to do it in this game but previous games, yes monsters were reused in different missions. Reason for this was because there was no story mode so they just had multiple quest. For example, the white bat would appear in its own quest and then it would be in another quest where you would have to hunt that and another monster. When monsters are reused they mostly appear in double monster hunts. They would also appear if you have to deliver an item to complete the quest as a foil to mess you up.

3. There are alot of many maps but it depends. The genreal idea of maps is volcano, ice/cold land, desert, island, forest, abandoned temple, boat, and mountains. There are different derivatives for each. There are some monsters who have their own map. Let's say there is volcano 1. Volcano 1 will have regular heat based or fire based monsters living there for its natural habitat. However, there is also volcano 2. Volcano 2 would specifically cater to one monster and that monster is usually an endgame monster which is usually an Elder Dragon. Volcano 2 would look different have usually have 1 or 2 zones in the previous games.

4. The movelist is usually to start you off. You don't unlock combos but each weapon have more than what that movelist resented. This particular movelist gives you most of the combos right away but it also doesn't show you everything. For the weapon you posted, Switch Axe, you can do various combos that's particulary up to you. You can morph the weapon in the first combo if you like. Also in to the upper right corner there's a list of commands. It may sound confusing but there are youtubers who breakdown every weapon and I highly recommend you watch to get a better understanding. Arekkz gaming and Gaijinhunter.

In the old games you had a minute to pick up loot after killing the monster. The bad thing about this is if you're playing multiplayer and you die and right after you die ur friends kill the monster, you have to run your ass back to the monster before the countdown finish. But carving the monster is not the only loot. After the quest is complete, you are brought to a rewards screen. In the rewards screen they give you loot from the monster. More loot than the 3 carves. 

Ya the timer starts soon as the quest begins but in the real game actual missions are 50 minutes not 20. Time may seem like an issue but the more you play and get use to the monsters time will be non existant. You will get better and better where you will know how to actually hunt a monster efficiently. Now with all this clue searching I don't know if they're going to extend the time or what. In monster hunter Tri there was exploration. Exploration had no time limit just go out and do whatever. If you needed a specific monster there was like a "weather forecast" which showed you which monster was appearing this time. The whole point is to prepare before the mission like you pointed out. This game however made spending in the campsite longer so I don't know how the full game will adjust the time problem for beginners.

This game is a new experience to old and new players, sorry if I can't answer most but if you have more question I'm glad to answer.

Around the Network
HandofPrometheus said:
-Newcloud- said:
I have one big problem and im sure this is in other monster hunter games and that the time! it gives you 20 mins to do the mission. Playing the second hunt and I nearly had the monster killed and I ran out of time now thats annoying.
I like to play at my own pace, set traps, collect items clues, kill other things and explore the area you cant do all those things and kill the monster on top of all that. This was going to be my first monster hunter but having time constrains kill all hype for me.

Beta time is 20 minutes not real missions. Real missions go from 50 minutes. There are missions that dont have time which is basically exploration where big monsters also appear. You're really not suppose to collect items and hunt a specific monster in one quest. There's hunting missions and gathering missions. Gathering missions are for exploring and gathering while hunting is hunting whichever monster u want to hunt.

Its crazy to me that the game has time at all why cant they just let you hunt without time? At lest 50 minutes is far better than 20 I dont understand why they did that seems damaging to me and its nice to know that theirs exploring missions. 

What about PS4 Pro?

I will be maining Jyura Hatchets then followed by Evergreen blade and Steel Axe.

I am trying to beat Diabolos now.

Just played the Beta now (only the tutorial an single player missions as I could not connect in multiplayer for some reason). I was never a massive MH fan, but did play a couple PSP and 3DS versions and the Wii (Tri) version.

- Love the new visuals (finally the game looks better than something released during the PS2 era).
- Controls are roughly the same, with issues and all. The combat still feels a bit slugish for my taste but the camera control is at least far better.
- Helping felines are a huge plus
- Fireflies make tracking pointless... feels a bit like hand holding for me
- The story will be a pointless filler just like in 4
- Massive amount of content was given and this is obvious from the Beta as well
- Levels seem highly dinamic when it comes down to monsters. There are plenty of smaller bugs and weird behaviour, but that was always the case with MH. Never the less environments are a HUGE step up.
- No in-level loadings

All in all IMO it looks like a pretty big leap in the right direction. If there was one thing I did not like, it is the firefly tracking. It makes things way to easy and I am in no way a hardcore MH player.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Yeah, I've only ever played the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Demo, so I have some questions if you don't mind. First, regarding the bolded, when you say MH, do you mean Monster Hunter: World?
Secondly, what is BB and DS? I looked through a list of Monster Hunter games, but found none that fit those acronyms. So are those acronyms for different hunter classes?

I have access to the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Demo and Monster Hunter Generations Demo. If there's something I can test there to compare to Monster Hunter: World, that would probably help me understand better. Or I can watch a video on youtube if there's nothing suitable in the demos. What exactly should I be looking for to compare? The name of the moves? Or how to execute them in the Beta? Etc.
Cause I'm not sure how "realistic" vs "stylysed and exaggerated" movement impacts aiming.

And in the last paragraph when you mention sluggish and slow movement, can you give me some examples of the moves you are referring to? In training mode in Monster Hunter: World they show you some examples in a move list.
And also tell me if you are referring to input delay, start up, recovery, or total amount of frames for a move (start up, active and recovery), because "sluggish" could refer to any of those things separately, so I'm not sure where to look.

You're misreading I'm describing the different between MHW and other MH games, BB and DS are Bloodborne and Dark Souls btw which MHW feels more like when moving, demos aren't a good way to Gage info from the series as the are changes done to them over the final game and the are things you won't see as far as the full game goes and youtube videos won't give you a full picture as you're not actually playing, I'll break it down as best as I can:

Sluggish is in reference to start up of attacks for some reason it feels slower in MHW, for the movement the previous games your characters movement had a bit of weight to it as did the collisions (both hitting and taking a hit) what it feels like here is that they've either removed that weighted movement or reduced it so what happens is the turn circle feels more instant although the default run is slightly slower so you aim your first hit and muscle memory causes you to turn too much and you end up missing with the second with certain weapon types. Some weapons benefit from this like the Glaive and Bow gun, the reduced weighted feeling is also felt when a hit occurs as when you're hit you fly back a lot more in MHW compared to other MH games while you don't impact the monster as much with your hits.

Volterra_90 said:
Hmmm... not sure. I've played the beta today, and having played every MH since MH3, I'm not actually really surprised or blown away by the beta. I'll probably buy it anyway, I just can't help myself since I love the franchise XD.

Maybe its because its no more on Nintendo consoles? Some of my Friend who are nintendo fans, suddenly didnt like the game anymore after it was anounced only for the PS4.Xbone and PC... It is the best Monster Hunter i ever played, and i play it since the first one, and i am glad it made its way back on playstation, were it belongs. This game is almost perfect for an MH game, only the 20 minutes timer is really annoying, but i think this is only a beta issue / settings. Finally MH Fans getting nice Graphics and new features, it was the best thing that could happen to the franchise to go seperated ways with Nintendo Consoles / Handhelds. I hope they have good sales so they dont have to go back to nintendo for handheld sales in japan

hunter_alien said:
Just played the Beta now (only the tutorial an single player missions as I could not connect in multiplayer for some reason). I was never a massive MH fan, but did play a couple PSP and 3DS versions and the Wii (Tri) version.

- Love the new visuals (finally the game looks better than something released during the PS2 era).
- Controls are roughly the same, with issues and all. The combat still feels a bit slugish for my taste but the camera control is at least far better.
- Levels seem highly dinamic when it comes down to monsters. There are plenty of smaller bugs and weird behaviour, but that was always the case with MH. Never the less environments are a HUGE step up.
- No in-level loadings

All in all IMO it looks like a pretty big leap in the right direction. If there was one thing I did not like, it is the firefly tracking. It makes things way to easy and I am in no way a hardcore MH player.

The fireflies are ok somehow. I would love it to track monsters like in mh1 with paintballs and so, but without these fireflies it would be to hard with only 20 minutes time to hunt them down. But like you said it feels like hand holding, throw paintballs at the monster would be cool after you found them..

Pillertriller said:
hunter_alien said:

- No in-level loadings

The fireflies are ok somehow. I would love it to track monsters like in mh1 with paintballs and so, but without these fireflies it would be to hard with only 20 minutes time to hunt them down. But like you said it feels like hand holding, throw paintballs at the monster would be cool after you found them..

Agreed. Hwll I would be more than OK to have the hunt times doubled as well and maybe have more hidden clues scattered around. From what I have seen from the first trailer I taught that we will have far more telling signs from the environment to track the monsters, but in this beta it lacked almost completely.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Hiku said:
Acevil said:

Tell me if it selects new mission. If it does that helps loads. 

I just tested it with my friend, and I can confirm that it does let you chose which mission you want to do, and you friend stays in the party the whole time.

Maybe they should reword it. I can see how people could get confused.