By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

its confirmed now switch was 800k for the delusional.

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
Why such a low ranking for Super Mario Odyssey, sure its only on 1 platform and no digital, though Switch has a lower digital rate than the other 2 consoles, but still if you look at Amazon its killing it.

I'm beginning to think Amazon is heavily Switch Biased, if you look at November on Amazon, then switch easily beats PS4, but in reality from NPD ps4>Switch 2:1

Are those sku count as digital? Nope SMO is number 2 for the month when digital isnt counted. And Amazon counts for what 10% of all retail purchase in the US i think

Ryng_Tolu said:
Switch is confirmed over 900K.

Zhuge said this was best month ever for Switch (March 2017 was 910K)

What was switch ltd before nov? 2.6mil right?

tbone51 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
Switch is confirmed over 900K.

Zhuge said this was best month ever for Switch (March 2017 was 910K)

What was switch ltd before nov? 2.6mil right?

Those are false numbers, it' closer to 800k

reviniente said:
DonFerrari said:

Source please.

I haven't said Sony increased profit. But PS4 having less revenue than X1 doesn't mean less profits if each individual console sale had better margin.

As the other post pointed, X1S and X1X are suspected to being sold at loss, so their revenue being bigger still makes loses instead of profits. Because if PS4 sold let's say 1.6M consoles, being 1M 199 PS4s, 300k 249 PS4s and 300k 349 PS4Pro it would be 200M+75M+105M=380M revenue in consoles and let's say they lost 20 on each 199, made 30 on each 249 and 50 on each 349 it would mean -20M+9M+15M=4M in profit (very slim profits because of BF). While MS selling 650k X1X and 650 X1S at 500 and 189 respectively and lets say each lose 10 per sale (this of course is being generous since X1X cost much more to make than PS4Pro and X1S probably more than PS4) would make the revenue 325M+122M= 447M revenue and 13M loss. The numbers may be wrong, but that is the line of though.

So, SONY = 4M profit and MS = 13M loss. In other words, you ARE saying SONY increased profit. After all, a small profit is more profit than a loss. While we're at it, are you sure that $199 PS4 slim deal and the PS Plus at $40 isn't eating away at SONY's bottom line?

Nope I aint saying Sony increased profit. The previous month they were selling all the HW for profit, and for this month on the 199 I assumed some loss, so it's likely that on the HW Sony made less profit this month than on the previous month.

Sure some profit is more profit than a loss, but how does that qualify as Sony increasing profits? You are comparing it to an inexistent loss?

I aint sure, we don't have the exact cost. I'm just going by trend of the down of the costs and assuming 250 is certainly profitable and 199 is likely a loss, but perhaps with a 40 PS+ it's about break even (since PS+ isn't cost free). But why the question?

As I said, the numbers (how much each console cost and the estimated losses) aren't precise at all, was just to show how MS could win on revenue but lose on profits on November.

StarDoor said:
DonFerrari said:

If you say so.

The person admitted he understood it wrong. Look at the person quote. It sold best since launch, he understood since ever.

The point is that you clearly didn't read ZhugeEx's quote, because he used the exact phrase that you mentioned: "Best month ever". The only reason there's any confusion is because Zhuge added "since launch" afterward, which doesn't make sense with the first part of the statement. People don't call something the "best EVER," but then add qualifiers. That would mean that "ever" doesn't apply. The conclusion is that we don't actually know what he meant, and he hasn't clarified yet.

We do know, because Zhugex isn't the only one saying it, the venturebeat post also point to it. You are just spining to have a better meaning for you.

Ryng_Tolu said:
DonFerrari said:

If you say so.

The person admitted he understood it wrong. Look at the person quote. It sold best since launch, he understood since ever.

I admid i MAY missread what he said. This doesn't mean i was wrong tho, we really don't know yet.

There is no reason for Zhugex and NPD PR say it's the best month since launch but actually mean best month ever. But sure, I could be wrong and your interpretation while missreading could be the real meaning, but it's the less likely scenario.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
StarDoor said:

The point is that you clearly didn't read ZhugeEx's quote, because he used the exact phrase that you mentioned: "Best month ever". The only reason there's any confusion is because Zhuge added "since launch" afterward, which doesn't make sense with the first part of the statement. People don't call something the "best EVER," but then add qualifiers. That would mean that "ever" doesn't apply. The conclusion is that we don't actually know what he meant, and he hasn't clarified yet.

Actually it gives you reference."This is the best book ever since last time I read X". Has the person go "oh you enjoyed the book more than X".

Same for "Fire emblem Warrior is the best Musuo ever since Dragon Quest Heroes 1".

If the launch window was "better" than now. They couldn't "say best ever". Because that wouldn't be true. Best since "launch" gives you a reference though.  It sets the ceiling at at least number X.

If someone used the word "ever" in those sentences as you just described, I would suspect that they're not very familiar with English. It be much more natural to just say "this is the best book I've read since X".

Not that it matters, because your examples aren't even analogous to what Zhuge said. He didn't say "best month ever since March," he said "best month ever since launch." "Launch" is not a month, and it makes his statement grammatically ambiguous. It could either mean "best month since Switch launched," which would include March, or "best month since launch month," which would exclude March.

For the record, I think Zhuge probably meant to say that it was the best month excluding March, but, because of the way he worded his post, it could easily be interpreted in another way.

DonFerrari said:
reviniente said:

So, SONY = 4M profit and MS = 13M loss. In other words, you ARE saying SONY increased profit. After all, a small profit is more profit than a loss. While we're at it, are you sure that $199 PS4 slim deal and the PS Plus at $40 isn't eating away at SONY's bottom line?

Nope I aint saying Sony increased profit. The previous month they were selling all the HW for profit, and for this month on the 199 I assumed some loss, so it's likely that on the HW Sony made less profit this month than on the previous month.

Sure some profit is more profit than a loss, but how does that qualify as Sony increasing profits? You are comparing it to an inexistent loss?

I aint sure, we don't have the exact cost. I'm just going by trend of the down of the costs and assuming 250 is certainly profitable and 199 is likely a loss, but perhaps with a 40 PS+ it's about break even (since PS+ isn't cost free). But why the question?

As I said, the numbers (how much each console cost and the estimated losses) aren't precise at all, was just to show how MS could win on revenue but lose on profits on November.

StarDoor said:

We do know, because Zhugex isn't the only one saying it, the venturebeat post also point to it. You are just spining to have a better meaning for you.

Ryng_Tolu said:

I admid i MAY missread what he said. This doesn't mean i was wrong tho, we really don't know yet.

There is no reason for Zhugex and NPD PR say it's the best month since launch but actually mean best month ever. But sure, I could be wrong and your interpretation while missreading could be the real meaning, but it's the less likely scenario.

I' m ok with that. Like i said, we'll see

StarDoor said:
Bandorr said:

Actually it gives you reference."This is the best book ever since last time I read X". Has the person go "oh you enjoyed the book more than X".

Same for "Fire emblem Warrior is the best Musuo ever since Dragon Quest Heroes 1".

If the launch window was "better" than now. They couldn't "say best ever". Because that wouldn't be true. Best since "launch" gives you a reference though.  It sets the ceiling at at least number X.

If someone used the word "ever" in those sentences as you just described, I would suspect that they're not very familiar with English. It be much more natural to just say "this is the best book I've read since X".

Not that it matters, because your examples aren't even analogous to what Zhuge said. He didn't say "best month ever since March," he said "best month ever since launch." "Launch" is not a month, and it makes his statement grammatically ambiguous. It could either mean "best month since Switch launched," which would include March, or "best month since launch month," which would exclude March.

For the record, I think Zhuge probably meant to say that it was the best month excluding March, but, because of the way he worded his post, it could easily be interpreted in another way.

Eeeeeer perhaps you are the one that isn't used to English or you only read intelectual text... but people are very much prone to use these forms of imprecise talk using "ever" without meaning ever in an broad way... even "and they lived happily forever/ever after" use ever without being ever for two reasons, first it takes out the period before "the after" and people don't live forever so it wouldn't be forever or ever because after death they can't be seem to be happy or living.

Ryng_Tolu said:
DonFerrari said:

I' m ok with that. Like i said, we'll see

Sure. Important point is that Switch had a very good first November.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mar1217 said:
Kjartan said:

The software charts are based on revenue guys not units.

It is too ?

Do they include the revenue from digital sales (DLC,Microtransaction,etc ...)  in their numbers ?

Cuz that would mean SMO could still have the 2nd place for software sales then ...

And why do we only get charts based on the revenue ?! 

I would prefer clear numbers ...

`

I don't know if it includes DLC and Microtransaction but I don't think so. Nintendo has the disadvantage of not sharing digital sales and 3DS games are usually priced below consoles games.

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan

quickrick said:
its confirmed now switch was 800k for the delusional.

Now to fix this attitude of yours.... I hope switch wins next month but only to hear what you will say about it xD