By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Large region of India proposes deaths for rape of minors - "They do not have the right to live"

They should take the gender out of it, 12 and under in general rather than only for girls.

Around the Network
Vinther1991 said:
"People who rape 12-year-old girls are not human; they are demons. They do not have the right to live." - Worrying that a minister says bullshit like that.

We have no cure for people who are sexually attracted to the prepubescent and such people, when they act on their desires, destroy lives.

It's very difficult to know what to do with those people... In the end someone will end up suffering, so that onus should be put on the perpetrators until they find some means of treating them; outside of essentially neutering them through court-ordered medicines, though, I don't think they're anywhere near a more therapeutic solution yet.

India needed (and will have) significant reform of rape laws. However, I remain opposed to the death penalty, no matter the case.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

COKTOE said:
SuperNova said:

That linked story about the girl who got gang raped is SO WTF on all levels.

Like the fact that they refused to investigate the girls claim until she and her law enforcement parents dragged two of the rapists into the station themselves or that the main aggressor WAS OUT ON BAIL FOR KILLING HIS INFANT DAUGHTER. Really India? Really?!

I was in India back when the first gang rape storys broke, wich we didn't really hear about until a few weeks later when we thought to buy an Indian paper. Since then thankfully women seem to have been embolded to report the crimes, hence the influx of rape reports. At least I sincerly hope it was not the other way around and it embolded more perpetrators.

That being said, for reasons others have pointed out, I'm not sure death sentence is an effective solution to the problem. India is in dire need of a cultural change and a more natural reationship to sexuality.
These excesses are a result of the extreme sexual repression that is culturally mandated in India imo. A lot of women aren't even out in the streets, let alone allowed to even just talk to men.

I've never been sexually harrassed as often as I have been in India (I've also never had to respond to such harassment as severly before, be it physically or verbally) and eventually had to cover up in a big shapeless shawl and very loose fitting trousers, just to be able to go down the street....undisturbed isn't the right word since every merchant and a ton of other people will still shout at you/ask for pictures without interruption, but at least relatively unharrassed.
I wasn't dressed in anything 'sexy' by european Standarts, just thick hiking clothes (it was pretty cold in the north) and loose fitting jeans, but to Indian men I was a spectacle of seemingly freely available sexuality.
Covering up was in the end a frustrating, but strangely liberating and mosty pragmatic decision. You can't sit down for a tea with every harraser and calmly explain to them why their behaiviour is wrong and slapping them in the face while shouting:'Never touch a woman against her will.' gets tiring as well.

So, ignoring the heinousness of the op, and most of the content of your own post, with it's interesting take on how you dealt with your time in India.....You're a g-g-g-giiirrrlll? You're profile suggests otherwise, so I'm finding this an irresistible question.

Yeah, I'm one of the fabled six VG Chartz girls XD

I can't really remember how I ended up being male on my profile. I think when you create an account it defaults to male, or maybe I just missclicked, or something, but I was sort of hurrying through the creation because I wanted to post something. I noticed quite a bit later and I never bothered to find out if you can change it. :P

Although to be fair I've met a guy that was sexually harrassed in india too, it's just a much more commom problem for girls.

COKTOE said:
SuperNova said:

That linked story about the girl who got gang raped is SO WTF on all levels.

Like the fact that they refused to investigate the girls claim until she and her law enforcement parents dragged two of the rapists into the station themselves or that the main aggressor WAS OUT ON BAIL FOR KILLING HIS INFANT DAUGHTER. Really India? Really?!

I was in India back when the first gang rape storys broke, wich we didn't really hear about until a few weeks later when we thought to buy an Indian paper. Since then thankfully women seem to have been embolded to report the crimes, hence the influx of rape reports. At least I sincerly hope it was not the other way around and it embolded more perpetrators.

That being said, for reasons others have pointed out, I'm not sure death sentence is an effective solution to the problem. India is in dire need of a cultural change and a more natural reationship to sexuality.
These excesses are a result of the extreme sexual repression that is culturally mandated in India imo. A lot of women aren't even out in the streets, let alone allowed to even just talk to men.

I've never been sexually harrassed as often as I have been in India (I've also never had to respond to such harassment as severly before, be it physically or verbally) and eventually had to cover up in a big shapeless shawl and very loose fitting trousers, just to be able to go down the street....undisturbed isn't the right word since every merchant and a ton of other people will still shout at you/ask for pictures without interruption, but at least relatively unharrassed.
I wasn't dressed in anything 'sexy' by european Standarts, just thick hiking clothes (it was pretty cold in the north) and loose fitting jeans, but to Indian men I was a spectacle of seemingly freely available sexuality.
Covering up was in the end a frustrating, but strangely liberating and mosty pragmatic decision. You can't sit down for a tea with every harraser and calmly explain to them why their behaiviour is wrong and slapping them in the face while shouting:'Never touch a woman against her will.' gets tiring as well.

So, ignoring the heinousness of the op, and most of the content of your own post, with it's interesting take on how you dealt with your time in India.....You're a g-g-g-giiirrrlll? You're profile suggests otherwise, so I'm finding this an irresistible question.

Damn I didn't think my opinion was that garbage

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
COKTOE said:

Yeah, I'm one of the fabled six VG Chartz girls XD

I can't really remember how I ended up being male on my profile. I think when you create an account it defaults to male, or maybe I just missclicked, or something, but I was sort of hurrying through the creation because I wanted to post something. I noticed quite a bit later and I never bothered to find out if you can change it. :P

Although to be fair I've met a guy that was sexually harrassed in india too, it's just a much more commom problem for girls.

Well, since I don't think we've ever crossed paths, ello' there. I checked the settings quickly before I left and couldn't see a way to change it. Looks like you're stuck with the male label for now.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

monocle_layton said:
COKTOE said:

Damn I didn't think my opinion was that garbage

I guess I should have said that the situation in India is heinous. But I get the feeling you're messing with me. Be kind. I'm exhausted. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Damn. Is rape in India this bad?

spurgeonryan said:
StarOcean said:
I fully support it. I wish other countries would adopt this too

It can barely be proven in the US,  let alone other countries. How many times will a guy or female die after the victim claims rape when it was not actually rape?

It is great in theory,  but fucked up in reality. 

I will edit myself. 

Now obviously if there is no doubt that this has happened instead of just an angry student or whatnot then that is different. But how many times is there not?

It's the risk you take when you allow a death penalty. Honestly, the way they should do it is death penalty for those who rape minors in general, regardless of the sex of the child. I'd even go as far as to say possibly just make it the punishment for rape in general

Smartie900 said:
Damn. Is rape in India this bad?

It's the fourth most common type of crime in India. A woman is raped every 15 minutes.

...it's pretty bad.