By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Large region of India proposes deaths for rape of minors - "They do not have the right to live"

I´d b glad if my country had a similar law.
Lately, people here - specially media personalities and artists - are considering such a thing as "art" , as absurd as it may seem

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:
Lately, people here - specially media personalities and artists - are considering such a thing as "art" , as absurd as it may seem

Brazilians are starting to consider rape art ... ?

monocle_layton said:

Regardless of what occurs, I wonder if this will decrease rape in the region. It'll be interesting to see what happens

Well the death penalty in the US does not deter or decrease the amount of violent crimes so I'm not too optimistic as to the death penalty in India working any better regarding rapes.

monocle_layton said:
celador said:
and if you get raped as a boy, tough fucking luck I guess

also seems to me that using the death penalty for raping a little girl also risks incentivising killing her afterwards. Not sure this is going to be a particularly successful law

I'm definitely concerned about the lack of men included into the proposed rule. Will this make trafficking towards boys more common? I hope this won't be the case.

The fear of killing the victim afterword may be common as well. At this point, it may change things (but not for the greater good)

While that does happen Girls get far more raped than boys so might be an issue to tackle later on. 

CrazyGamer2017 said:
monocle_layton said:

Regardless of what occurs, I wonder if this will decrease rape in the region. It'll be interesting to see what happens

Well the death penalty in the US does not deter or decrease the amount of violent crimes so I'm not too optimistic as to the death penalty in India working any better regarding rapes.

You don't know that especially since there's alot of opposition to it that's willing to do anything to stop it. There's a reason why it's so expensive and there's so much red tape involved in it. If they really want to test to see if it really works or not, use it as a punishment for rape, molestation and murder in a city like Chicago with little to wait time between sentencing & punishment, very limited appeals and done cheaply. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
kopstudent89 said:

While that does happen Girls get far more raped than boys so might be an issue to tackle later on. 

Why wait though if you can tackle them both at the same time?

It's a different culture and at least a step in the right direction. It opens up doors for other laws in the future. It won't be perfect but you can't impede this legislation just cause it's not the most ideal in my opinion

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Rogerioandrade said:

Brazilians are starting to consider rape art ... ?

Some of them, yes.  Recently, an "art exhibition" for schoolchildren that had several pieces depicting child rape was highly questioned in social media. Reactions were so heavy that its sponsor (a Spanish bank) lost about 20.000 clients in a few days. They eventually cancelled the exhibition, but some "artists" and "personalities'" came into social media to defend it with a dumb "call against censorship", what was not the case.

And like any other country with death penalty, innocent people will be murdered by those who were supposed to protect them... sad.

"People who rape 12-year-old girls are not human; they are demons. They do not have the right to live." - Worrying that a minister says bullshit like that.

SuperNova said:

That linked story about the girl who got gang raped is SO WTF on all levels.

Like the fact that they refused to investigate the girls claim until she and her law enforcement parents dragged two of the rapists into the station themselves or that the main aggressor WAS OUT ON BAIL FOR KILLING HIS INFANT DAUGHTER. Really India? Really?!

I was in India back when the first gang rape storys broke, wich we didn't really hear about until a few weeks later when we thought to buy an Indian paper. Since then thankfully women seem to have been embolded to report the crimes, hence the influx of rape reports. At least I sincerly hope it was not the other way around and it embolded more perpetrators.

That being said, for reasons others have pointed out, I'm not sure death sentence is an effective solution to the problem. India is in dire need of a cultural change and a more natural reationship to sexuality.
These excesses are a result of the extreme sexual repression that is culturally mandated in India imo. A lot of women aren't even out in the streets, let alone allowed to even just talk to men.

I've never been sexually harrassed as often as I have been in India (I've also never had to respond to such harassment as severly before, be it physically or verbally) and eventually had to cover up in a big shapeless shawl and very loose fitting trousers, just to be able to go down the street....undisturbed isn't the right word since every merchant and a ton of other people will still shout at you/ask for pictures without interruption, but at least relatively unharrassed.
I wasn't dressed in anything 'sexy' by european Standarts, just thick hiking clothes (it was pretty cold in the north) and loose fitting jeans, but to Indian men I was a spectacle of seemingly freely available sexuality.
Covering up was in the end a frustrating, but strangely liberating and mosty pragmatic decision. You can't sit down for a tea with every harraser and calmly explain to them why their behaiviour is wrong and slapping them in the face while shouting:'Never touch a woman against her will.' gets tiring as well.

So, ignoring the heinousness of the op, and most of the content of your own post, with it's interesting take on how you dealt with your time in India.....You're a g-g-g-giiirrrlll? You're profile suggests otherwise, so I'm finding this an irresistible question.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."