By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3, how can it win this gen?

CrazzyMan said:
i suggest you all wait E3. on Sony Gamer`s Day, sony showed amazing games, and now with 1.80 firmware released, it also showed new ps3 capabilities. just know, that sony definately will show many suprises on E3. anyway, PS3 only half a year on market. Just wait, when it will be 1,5 on it. =) However, if MGS4 won`t show in 07 in NA, and FFXIII in Japan, then yes, there could be some porblems for Sony, because Lair, NGS, Folklore, HS, R&C, Uncharted, LBP, Home, Socom, Haze, Pain, (GTA4, AC) may not be enough for some gamers. So i think, sony understand that too, so on E3 they have to make some announces. =)

They need a good E3 thats for sure, the last one (and probably the last major E3 ever) was stolen completely by Nintendo.

Around the Network

...fuck sony, they deserve what's coming for them...they aren't completly under the ice, sure, but they are currently on very fucking thin ice, and nintendo is under them when it breaks(....okey fine, I quoted snatch, happy now?)

DaBIAS said:
NJ5 said:
DaBIAS said:
Simple - big price drop and massive marketing campaign, they have the games to do it. - they can eat the costs, especially that Br is winning the format war around the world. - its win win, PS3 does better BR does better more software sales (especially 3rd party)

How much money are they getting on BR sales? I doubt it's enough to cover (or even get close to) the potential losses of such a strategy.

Don't take this personally, but I think you need to either post some numbers or references supporting those claims or remove your pink-colored glasses when you're looking at the PS3 future.

From what i read the royalties of BR would be in the billions.

If you doubt its enouth to cover any costs, why dont you prove it with numbers.

It will be because last I heard its about $30 per a player.  Plus the per disk cost adds up quickly.  The problem is Sony only gets a fraction of it.  Many differant companies own pieces of Blu-ray (same with HD-DVD many companies win either way).  You have everything from the audio and video codecs to the design of the disk itself.  In addition to that the format was not created by only Sony there are actually 9 founding companies.  Total if I remember right the fees are spread out over around 70 companies.  Not everyone gets an equal share and I am sure Sony is getting a few dollars each player sold.  But my guess is that its costing Sony $25+ dollars for each PS3 sold to just include the ability to play back Blu-ray disks.  That adds up quickly as well.

@montrealsoon, KruzeS: Kruze has it right (thanks!), mine is a CRT HDTV so dot pitch horizontally doesn't really enter into the equation. Component HDTV is an analog signal -- there's vertical resolution (number of scan lines) but no horizontal resolution limitation to speak of. LCD HDTV's are based on pixels, so they have fixed resolutions in both dimensions, but CRT displays are just modulating an electron beam as it moves across each scan line -- my set will handle 480i, 480p, and 1080i regardless of horizontal resolution, because there really IS none inherent to the signal. But it won't handle 720p (or 1080p, which wasn't even being considered at the time) which is why the PS3 approach does me little good -- this has been a known problem with the PS3 and early HDTV sets, in that if it can't reach 720p when the game is native at that resolution it drops the resolution DOWN to 480p. And there's no way to force it to upscale to 1080i, whereas the 360 can do that (as does my HDTV receiver when I watch 720p broadcast content.) What's especially annoying is that Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2 outputs 1080i just fine! Don't want to derail the thread, just wanted to clarify.

The price is horrendous. I know we hear that constantly - but, it dosen't change the fact. The average consumer simply cannot afford it.

On another note, the game library makes the pricetag seem even worse than it actually may be. Not a single game released thus far says "worth $600".

I might actually consider buying it with a $300 pricecut and some killer apps.