By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3, how can it win this gen?

Why stop at a $599 console? If people are willing to pay any price, $200 games should be no problem.

That worked really well for Neo Geo...

Around the Network

Drop the price $200 dollars tomorrow, announce a buyout of rockstar, exclusivity of Gears of War 2, Metal Gear coming out tomorrow and free eyetoys with full 3d body recognition.

CrazzyMan said:
People will pay ANY price, just to play FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, FFXIIIv, KZ2, HS, LBP, Uncharted, Lair, 2! Team Ico games, Folklore, G3, NGS, GoW3, MS2, R&C, 8 days, Factor 5 - Turricane, Wardevil and so on.

No, they won't - people won't pay any price: forget it. 

CrazzyMan said:
It`s not about LIST, x360, Wii also will have good games, my POINT - that true GAMER won`t ignore such amazing exclusive PS3 games.

Ahh, now you're talking - true gamers won't ignore them and will pay (almost) any price.

But let me tell you some news: there aren't 120 million "true gamers" in the market. A lot of people are buying the PS2 for... "Buzz - The Quiz". Sony priced themselves out of that market. 

CrazzyMan said:
And another POINT - IF KZ2 really will look almost like e3 2k5 render (haze already looking good), then PRICE won`t matter at all. Just like people go to moovie-theater, to see AMAZING visuals, they will pay money, just to play game with AMAZING visuals. After releasing all those exclusive games, it will be only a matter of time, when it will win.

It won't matter for gamers like you, I'm sure. You, however, are not the majority of the videogame market. Fanatics are always the minority - always.

And, again, the majority of people wouldn't go to movie theaters for any price. Not for $60, not for $30, the majority not even for $15 - they'd wait months for... the DVD - not BD, not HDDVD - the DVD, once it's $10. That's where the majority of the market is. Not buying $600 entertainment machines.

CrazzyMan said:
After releasing all those exclusive games, it will be only a matter of time, when it will win. And Wii, it`s just another game console, it`s like comparing ps3/x360 to PSP/NDS. It`s DIFFERENT auditory. =)

Win? Win what? The 360 war? I'm inclined to agree - they can win that, and at least worldwide certainly will win that. But they won't sell 120million consoles, they won't even sell 60million consoles.

That's the Wii, going out for those "Buzz - The Quiz" gamers. That's where some 100million consumers may be. Most certainly a different auditory.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

pfft, the PS3 just needs to wait until JUNE and LAIR, when the PS3 ONSLAUGHT begins! wowwwwwww sorry, it's just not the same...

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Pricecut to $299 this year. Just pretend it's the PS2 all over again.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

Sony to release their SOE mmorpg for the PS3. Give existing SOE mmorpg subscribers a complimentary PS3 version of the mmo they are playing. These subscribers will buy the PS3(much more affordable) than upgrading their PC. And we are looking at subscribers from EQ, EQ2, SWG, Planetside, Vanguard, etc... Heck!! Just get blizzard to release WoW for PS3. hahahaaaa..... The irony...

The PS3 will fly off shelves once the price drops and Blu-ray is pirated worldwide. Blu-ray will then become the HD standard.

If HD-DVD manages to be pirated, that will become the HD standard.

I say this because of third-world countries' influence, especially South America, China and India; when combined, they are capable of moving far more hardware than North America and Europe combined.

The problem is, at least for Sony, is that they need to recover their PS3 subsidizing with software sales, which won't happen if Blu-ray is cracked. Nintendo and Microsoft do not have this problem because they already profit from console sales alone.

The other thorn in the PS3's side is by the time hackers manage to crack Blu-ray many standalone players will have matched or beat the PS3 in price, so they may decide to purchase the standalone player instead.

So, in the end, the PS3 may win in hardware sales but not in software. Catch-22.

blu-ray and HD-DVD both use the same copy protection scheme (AACS) which is showing more and more holes with every passing day They should both be equally as piratable.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Interesting. I thought they used different copy-protection mechanisms, seeing how they are developed by rival companies (Sony vs Toshiba). Also, it seems that HD-DVD is already making its rounds in the torrent sites but to-date there isn't one Blu-ray title available for download.

Anyhow, I still think that Sony's chance to move consoles resides in its ability to be pirated.

your mother said:

Interesting. I thought they used different copy-protection mechanisms, seeing how they are developed by rival companies (Sony vs Toshiba). Also, it seems that HD-DVD is already making its rounds in the torrent sites but to-date there isn't one Blu-ray title available for download.

Anyhow, I still think that Sony's chance to move consoles resides in its ability to be pirated.

It might be slightly different but like everything else, they farm out encription formats. I can't recall the name of the consortium that came up with AACS (it's been awhile since I read about it), but the same guy ended up cracking both of them (HD-DVD first, then Blu-Ray if I recall).

Funny thing is that he foiled millions of dollars of research with a 360, an HD-DVD add-on, and a copy of King Kong.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/