By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS3, how can it win this gen?

I think someone said a person needs to buy 7 games with their system for Sony to break even on the sale. If thats true, you do the math, thats a lot of cash for a consumer to front.

Around the Network
DarkD said:
lol, I don't see the PS3 making money for Sony at all. 300 dollars per system is a lot of money to make back in the gaming department. A game retails for what 60 dollars. How much of that goes back to sony, the developers, publishers, and finally the department store? I don't know what the actual number that Sony does get from a single game purchase though. Anyone got a figure for that?

The estimates that I've seen puts console licensing fees at around $7 per $60 software title. 

If that is to be done it must initiate the need to buy a ps3 by this holiday. To do this sony needs to combine some AAA titles (I think it may have 2 this fall) with a generous price cut of atleast $150. Granted this would screw thier possible profits for the fiscal year BUT, it may help generate some much needed positive buzz and put it in the running finally. If this does not happen by years end, I would formally garuantee that PS3 is out of the running for 1st place in sales of hardware by 2012.

It all depends on whether the Wii is really a fad. If it is, the sales will basically stop, so the PS3 will take quite a few of those sales. However, if the PS3 is at $400 when MGS 4 and FFXIII come out, then they will get some serious sales worlwide. Of couse what happens this holiday will make a huge difference. If its sales are at least in second, then they have a chance

add me

DaBIAS said:
Simple - big price drop and massive marketing campaign, they have the games to do it. - they can eat the costs, especially that Br is winning the format war around the world. - its win win, PS3 does better BR does better more software sales (especially 3rd party)

How much money are they getting on BR sales? I doubt it's enough to cover (or even get close to) the potential losses of such a strategy.

Don't take this personally, but I think you need to either post some numbers or references supporting those claims or remove your pink-colored glasses when you're looking at the PS3 future.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Yeah, I hear a lot of people say that BR licensing fees will make up for any losses incurred by the PS3, but I have yet to see a comparative cost analysis. In other words, I've seen a lot of blind speculation when it comes to this subject with almost no supporting data.

I can envision the PS3 coming in first easier than I can see the 360 coming in first. I still say predicting the long term outcome of the PS3 is much harder than doing it with any other platform. How much will price cuts and big named games boost sales? Will Blue Ray start really pulling ahead in the format war? Is Sony's brand name still extremely strong or has it taken a beating? These are hard questions to answer. I think the PS3 can win this generation, but it would have to pull a PS2 to do that in that it would have to sell extremely strong into the next generation maybe for a year or two to beat what the Wii ends up selling. However it can probably much easier win the battle of the system that sells the most software as the system is more tattered to the hardcore.

I think that sony needs to work on its marketing strategy. At the moment with the SIXAXIS it's marketing it like a wii despite the fact that it's simply not. Insead of saying it's something it isn't, sony should be marketing it as what it really is...a polygon crunching beheamoth.

FishyJoe said:
Yeah, I hear a lot of people say that BR licensing fees will make up for any losses incurred by the PS3, but I have yet to see a comparative cost analysis. In other words, I've seen a lot of blind speculation when it comes to this subject with almost no supporting data.

Well look at the DVD. There they are at about 5 cent. I would be surprised if BluRay could ask more than two times the price and I presume, that the BluRay production plants currently sell under price toi compete with HD DVD...

Do it like the PS2. Tons of well known games (final fantasy, dragonquest, mgs, gta, gran turismo, etc. etc) for 49.99 + a system for under 200 bucks

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW