By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Does Religion Have a Place in the Modern World?

Does Religion Have a Place in the Modern World?

Yes 4 66.67%

No 1 16.67%

Some do 0 0%

Some aspects of religion, but not all. 1 16.67%

Total:6

I've seen online haters of religion, saying that it has no place in the modern world or some aspects of religion have no place in the modern world. I'm wondering what VGCs think about this. I think all religions are fine as long as they aren't harmful to others.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

Yes, it has a place, in the past.

#Woke

It's up to the individual to believe as they wish, unless they do or cause an action that is harmful to someone else. Some people want it banned and I've seen the statements saying that many people have died over religion, but the I think of all the hundreds or thousands of other things people have killed in the name of. Resources, power, land etc.

BasilZero said:

Religion is blamed because a lot of the corrupted and evil people use religion as a scapegoat.

If its not religion, it would be something else.

Religion does have a place in the modern world.

This^

Yes. One can simplify religion to a (rather disgusting) conclusion of 'no religion = world peace', but let us not forget that the majority of issues surrounding religion are economical, social, and political issues.

People will always locate the next big issue. Religion is far from perfect, but it isn't the demon that people make it out to be nowadays. The introduction of a better education system and development in a nation allows for religion to coexist in high income nations.

Additionally, pushing away religion will only make it grown. Freedom of speech and thought should extend to things you dislike as well. If you believe religion should be exterminated, then just wait and  be respectful about it. Why call someone a retard or say religion is useless if they aren't bothering you and aren't dangerous? Sweeping generalizations will not help anyone at all.

Around the Network

As long as people don't replace religion by looking to their government for morality.

You can rip the roof off the church, but you'd better give them somewhere to shelter afterwards.

One thing Christianity gets right is that people are naturally pretty bad overall. Without a strong set of moral principles to guide them, people always descend into destructive, anti-social behaviours.

We have enough knowledge and experience as a human race to move away from belief in reincarnation or that Jesus was actually the son of God, but we shouldn't reject the important lessons learnt from these teachings.

Islam though can get fucked. I hate Islam. It creates order from chaos, but is so oppressive that is should probably be left in the dustbin of history.

So, is everyone's issue with religion or is it with believing in a higher power?

It's always amusing to me when someone 100% believes in God or 100% doesn't believe in God because well, how the hell would any of us know if there is. So, my baseline is 50/50.

BasilZero said:

Religion is blamed because a lot of the corrupted and evil people use religion as a scapegoat.

If its not religion, it would be something else.

Religion does have a place in the modern world, banning it is no different than violating a freedom of choice.

I agree with this. If it isnt religon people will find other excusses to justify their wrongdoing.

Ka-pi96 said:
Nope. And the sooner it's eradicated from the world the better!

Why? There are some bad apples, but the vast majority of religiouse people arent harming anyone.

Superstition has no place in the world but as long as it's harmless, I'm indifferent to it.

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:

Why? There are some bad apples, but the vast majority of religiouse people arent harming anyone.

Who denies science and medicine? Religious people.

Who is to blame for gay marriage and anti-discrimination laws taking so long to pass? Religious people.

Are some of the least religious countries the best places in the world to live? Yes. Are some of the most religious countries the worst places in the world to live? Yes.

+1 this

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.