By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade 2 thoughts (no spoilers)

Cerebralbore101 said:

I'm about 7 hours into the game and HOLY MOLEY does this game have a ton of systems. Let's see there's...

Bonus XP (Used at Inns)

Regular XP

Weapon XP

Special XP

Arts for your Blades

Passives for your Blades

Field Skills for your Blades

Arts for your Drivers

Passives for your Drivers

Equipment for your Blades

Equipment for your Drivers

Temporary Food Buffs for each character

Prefered food/items for gaining affinity with each character

Gather points

Diving points

Weapon Upgrades

At least 30 different Blades

An element type for each Blade

A unique robot Blade that you upgrade like a custom PC

A special arcade game that you play to unlock robot upgrade parts

Canceled Attacks

Break, Topple, Launch, Smash combos (I haven't figured this out yet)

Element combos (this either)

Regular tutorials

Shopkeeper buyable tutorials

Town upgrades

Buyable shops

A huge and ridiculously detailed fast travel system

This is the most complicated game I've played since freakin MorrowWind. It's like they tried their damnedest to cover everything with a unique system of some sort. I'm lost as hell right now, but loving it.

Yeah, it's crazy how many mechanics have they implemented in this game. Once you know how to do elemental and topple combos, the combat system is fun as hell, and arguably the best in the franchise. It took me like 20 hours to know how it works though XD.

Around the Network

I don't know where to ask for help with this, but I think I have a glitch where quests aren't showing up in my quest log. It's shown as empty and im hours into the game.

I set it so that it doesn't show way points for quests, but it suddenly started showing them when this glitch started and now I have to deal with that too. Help?

EDIT: Too be clear, all I want is for the objective point marker to go away, but I can't do that anymore because because the objectives aren't showing up.

Last edited by Frogger - on 03 December 2017

So, even Rare Blades have sidequests and cutscenes. That's nice to get each of them known.My rare blade just ran off and I need to find it :/

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

caffeinade said:
VAMatt said:
I liked XCX to some extent. But, I got tired of it after 60ish hours and never finished it. I would like something new for Switch.... So, should I pay full price for this game, wait until it gets cheap, or skip it altogether?

It is first party; the game will never be cheap.

XCX dropped in price significantly within about a year after release.

Game is solid, with a much better storyline than X. Has a few issues on the tech side, but nothing that makes it even close to unplayable. I honestly wish they gave the option for looks vs. performance in handheld mode. With an open world, I'd take a few framerate dips for a higher resolution when undocked.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Volterra_90 said: 

Yeah, it's crazy how many mechanics have they implemented in this game. Once you know how to do elemental and topple combos, the combat system is fun as hell, and arguably the best in the franchise. It took me like 20 hours to know how it works though XD.

I read some complaints that the combat was too slow, due to taking too long to charge up Arts. But I see that there are upgrades that let you do Arts at the start of battle. If you get all three of these on all three characters I can see combat being nuts from the get go. 

Sunstrider said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

First paragraph, you can actually disengage from targeting with R+B

Third paragraph, the visuals do get clean, I think it's because it has dynamic resolution(not sure on this one) cause when the cutscenes happens, sometimes it's really beautiful then sometimes a bit blurry.

Fourth paragraph, I think you needed those little tutorial since you never knew that you can disengage a battle or from targeting and they don't even take 1 minute.

The tiger is freaking chill, I like him and the design.

The lip sync is for the Japanese voice they got lazy on the English side I guess.

No comment on the neutral point and beyond and some of your concerns as it looks like it's your opinion.

For your third rebuttal I'd say it's blurry almost all the time once the game opens up. I've spent very little time in closed environments after the game opened up so effectively it's extremely blurry all the time. It's a little better in towns, and in the airship dungeon it was ok, but those areas just look ok.

While your forth point does highlight the irony in not understanding a button combination and not liking tutorials, I don't think you've thought about this much. Have you ever asked "why?" for instance. Players wouldn't have to miss out on critical information if tutorials didn't annoy them or come up so often that they just scan through the information. Again while the original Xenoblade wasn't perfect at this, it was better at it I think. It's especially annoying in 2 because it will happen a lot of the times right when you are pumped up and ready to do something awesome. Or the text will waste your time with dialogue like "There is one more mechanic that .... oh what the heck ... we'll talk about that later! Teheheheheeheh"

I like the Tiger's character, I just don't like his design. He has those awkward edges and bad animations. Just eh. 

It "looks like" it's "your opinion"? Lol, what else would people be talking about in a thread called "Xenoblade 2 thoughts"

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Sunstrider said:

First paragraph, you can actually disengage from targeting with R+B

Third paragraph, the visuals do get clean, I think it's because it has dynamic resolution(not sure on this one) cause when the cutscenes happens, sometimes it's really beautiful then sometimes a bit blurry.

Fourth paragraph, I think you needed those little tutorial since you never knew that you can disengage a battle or from targeting and they don't even take 1 minute.

The tiger is freaking chill, I like him and the design.

The lip sync is for the Japanese voice they got lazy on the English side I guess.

No comment on the neutral point and beyond and some of your concerns as it looks like it's your opinion.

For your third rebuttal I'd say it's blurry almost all the time once the game opens up. I've spent very little time in closed environments after the game opened up so effectively it's extremely blurry all the time. It's a little better in towns, and in the airship dungeon it was ok, but those areas just look ok.

While your forth point does highlight the irony in not understanding a button combination and not liking tutorials, I don't think you've thought about this much. Have you ever asked "why?" for instance. Players wouldn't have to miss out on critical information if tutorials didn't annoy them or come up so often that they just scan through the information. Again while the original Xenoblade wasn't perfect at this, it was better at it I think. It's especially annoying in 2 because it will happen a lot of the times right when you are pumped up and ready to do something awesome. Or the text will waste your time with dialogue like "There is one more mechanic that .... oh what the heck ... we'll talk about that later! Teheheheheeheh"

I like the Tiger's character, I just don't like his design. He has those awkward edges and bad animations. Just eh. 

It "looks like" it's "your opinion"? Lol, what else would people be talking about in a thread called "Xenoblade 2 thoughts"

So you don't like Dromarch's character model and design.
There is a big difference between not liking a character, and not liking their model.

You are right, the game is blurry; the game is blurry 100% of the time.
Even at its best it has really blurry textures, something that is not helped with a res boost.
Playing the game is like being stabbed in the eye, still better than the first two games though.

Something you can do to help the low quality textures, is by holding L and pulling back on the right stick.

This will pull the camera away from all the low res assets, but may cause res drops, and does reduce grass draw distance.

The camera and framerate make me want to vomit.

The tutorial system, sucks; the game neither attempts to blend tutorial and gameplay, nor does it do a decent job at what it does give you.
At the very least, they could have Gramps break the fourth wall to deliver the information vocally.
Honestly, who is going to read all the text.
Always try to make learning as friction-less as possible.

Animations are almost exclusively bad, low effort or cheap looking; the game looks like it was budgeted to sell 300k - 1m, whilst making a decent profit.
Occasionally there is a decent animation thrown in there.

Combat, is passively noisy.
I often just leave it to do its own thing, as that seems to be just as effective.
Even whilst writing this post, I am "playing" the game.
I consider it a 3D clicker game; I recommend putting on a podcast or watching anime whist playing the game, switching back for the story beats.

Overall I like the game so far.
They have planted some seeds that I am hoping will pay off in the future.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 03 December 2017

I cannot agree with most complains here. Either I don't notice this stuff like bad animations and low textures or I simply don't care while enjoying this game so much.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Cerebralbore101 said:

Volterra_90 said: 

I read some complaints that the combat was too slow, due to taking too long to charge up Arts. But I see that there are upgrades that let you do Arts at the start of battle. If you get all three of these on all three characters I can see combat being nuts from the get go. 

Imo, combats are fast as hell once you know how to do combos. You have to be aware of when you can activate an elemental special to trigger a combo, you have to pay attention to the time bars in the top of the screen to see when it's best to continue the combo, you have to pay attention to your position... I don't know if reviewers were playing the same game as me at times, some complaints seem that they're made for people who didn't actually try to do what the game has to offer xD. It's slow at start, but once you start to build your affinity with your blades and grasp the combat mechanics, it couldn't get any better.