By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game franchises you have to pass up on.

I haven't picked up Ultra Sun or Moon, and that's the first Pokemon game I've missed. Dunno if I'll pick it up later.

Shadow of Mordor was a pretty good deal, but I didn't feel like buying the sequel yet. Odyssey came out, and I'm going to definitely buy Xenoblade, so it's just a matter of paying for a game that will sit on my shelf for quite a while. I'll probably pick it up in a year or two.

I stopped the Batman games after Arkham City, mainly cause they didn't look that great. I wound up renting Arkham Knight, and gave up on it quickly.

Around the Network

The only one that I was just reminded of was the Tales of series. Xillia and onwards, something about it felt off. I tried other later series but I never could get into them. It makes me sad since I really liked the series before.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
The only one that I was just reminded of was the Tales of series. Xillia and onwards, something about it felt off. I tried other later series but I never could get into them. It makes me sad since I really liked the series before.

That's more of sign that you've past the target demographic of the series than anything else. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

V-r0cK said:
I dont pass up on them, I backlog them.

I'm the same way ... but the reality is I'd probably have to take 5 years off and do nothing but play games to ever get through my backlog.  I bet I have 70 games for the WiiU alone that I haven't even played once yet and the PS4 is getting just as bad.  Some of them are good games too like Witcher3, Bioshock, Horizon ZD, Xenoblade, The Last of Us Remastered, ect.

The_Yoda said:
V-r0cK said:
I dont pass up on them, I backlog them.

I'm the same way ... but the reality is I'd probably have to take 5 years off and do nothing but play games to ever get through my backlog.  I bet I have 70 games for the WiiU alone that I haven't even played once yet and the PS4 is getting just as bad.  Some of them are good games too like Witcher3, Bioshock, Horizon ZD, Xenoblade, The Last of Us Remastered, ect.

I still have a bunch of ps2 games in my backlog. At some point you got to stop lying to yourself and admit it's just a waste of money. Especially nowadays when I walk in a store and that shiny copy I bought at launch is now $10 or a ps+ freebie. One day I'll play DQ8, where are they now, 11... However now I buy those $10 copies to further fill my backlog anyway, cause why pass up good games when they're only $10 :/ Demon's souls I'll start you any time now, oops servers are going offline next year. Will I make it, not a chance.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Assassin's Creed. I've never played a game in the franchise, and I almost got 4 for PS4, but forgot about it. Then, I almost got Unity because I was reading an article in Game Informer that made the game sound really cool. A sister and brother inertwined in the campaign? You can play as both?! Count me in! I usually hate those kind of cliches but for some reason it sounded cool. The reviews came in and shitpanned it, but i would have probably passed anyways.

Then, this year it was critically praised. I've even heard many people say it's open world is significantly better than Zelda's or Horizon's. But to me? It looks kind of ... bland? Nothing about the egyptian concept interests me as much as it should. So I passed.

I skipped Call of Duty, Wolfenstein, and Battlefront this year even though I wanted to get all of them. Also I've been skipping BF since 4. And even though I've played Halo 5 and Gears 4, I'm NEVER buying a Halo or Gears game again. Skipping those too

Angry Joe did good job of exposing what a scripted, on rails experience COD:WW2 is. IMO, it looks worse than any COD single player campaign I've ever played, my last experience being way back with Modern Warfare 2. Disregarding the loot box nonsense it comes saddled with, it's online multiplayer looks solid enough on gameplay merits, but still a trite, been there, done that online shooter, as one might expect from an annualized franchise splorched out at the game factory.

That's a bummer, if true. I highly recommend you check out Infinite Warfare, if only for its single player campaign. It's very unlike the average COD campaign. Very few scripted events, almost no QTEs, a central hub, optional side missions, and lots of room to customize the experience to your play style.

It's really a shame it got buried under an avalanche of negative hype.

outlawauron said:
Cloudman said:

That's more of sign that you've past the target demographic of the series than anything else. 

And what demographic would that be?  Maybe I should stop buying Tales titles.

LivingMetal said:
outlawauron said:

It's the JRPG version of an shounen anime. Some of the Tales fall outside of that mold (I think Berseria and Vesperia for sure), but the majority of them are aimed specifically at 10-17 year boys.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
LivingMetal said:

It's the JRPG version of an shounen anime. Some of the Tales fall outside of that mold (I think Berseria and Vesperia for sure), but the majority of them are aimed specifically at 10-17 year boys.

Please don't do this to me.  I've collected a good handful of Tales games hoping I'll get into them sometime soon.  Might not be my cup of tea.

Assassins Creed
Metal Gear Solid
First person Shooters aside from Halo
Fighting games
Popular JRPG''s aside from Nier and Souls games
Visual Novels
Everything with pixel art

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar