By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game franchises you have to pass up on.

Let's just face the fact that there are too many good games and not enough time in life to play them all.  It just is.  I've found that I have to pass up on certain games because of that.  Currently, my game purchases span among four if not five consoles and handhelds, and I'll soon have to add the Switch to that list probably by summer 2018.  There is no way I can allocate enough time and resources to all of these systems for all the titles that I want.  The most recent franchise I have to pass up on was Yakuza.  But in the past, I've had to give up on Fire Emblem, Fallout, Mass Effect, Doom, Knack & Darksiders.  And that's just off of the top of my head.

Which games and franchises you've found you've had to give up on due to lack to time or resources?

Around the Network

Assassin's Creed came out so often I fell behind around time Black Flag came out and I've never played Syndicate or Origins. I've come to prefer 3 year gaps in entries in series or I fall behind.

I don't think I've ever passed up on any franchise due to lack of time. If anything, I've done it due to lack of interest.

I also can’t be bothered with Assassin’s Creed games. I mostly don’t like the stories enough to keep playing and the gameplay feels tedious to me. I enjoy watching others play the games in let’s plays on a Sunday though.

(explanation: My brother loves the games and shares them with me via account sharing)

Assassin's Creed has a hard time getting my attention.

I don't see the appeal in Mario games.

I don't find Elder Scrolls games fun (and by extension, Fallout 3 and onward).

Shooters in general don't factor in for me.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

I have to pick and choose new games, especially on PS4. I really only play the ones that are interesting to me AND get excellent scores. If I had more time for gaming in general (and if I only played one console/console generation), I'd probably take more risks with so-so games.

The Switch gets most of my time because the portability means I can get extra sessions in at points when a TV-bound console wouldn't work. I've found myself passing on multi-plats lately, thinking, "there might be a Switch port in six months," and it would be a waste to buy on a system I don't have time for.

I also split my playtime between current consoles and retro machines 60/40 in either direction, depending on how good the new releases are at that given moment. There are many, many years of awesome gaming out there. If I'm playing something mediocre, I think to myself: there are decades worth of 9s out there, why am I toiling away at a 6 that I don't even care if I finish?

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

None, really. I feel like I owe it to myself to try out everything.

The lesson learned? Most games are bad.

Nymeria said:
Assassin's Creed came out so often I fell behind around time Black Flag came out and I've never played Syndicate or Origins. I've come to prefer 3 year gaps in entries in series or I fall behind.

AC is starting to look that way for me.  I have the first three titles, Unity & Liberation.  It's too much too soon.

I always felt there was some cruel irony in how the ability to buy games increases as you get older, while time to play them decreases.

I’ve reached a point where I rarely take risks with games, not because I can’t afford them, but because I don’t want to risk spreading the little time I have for gaming even thinner. Off the top of my head, Yakuza and Witcher are both games that seem like I would enjoy, but have no intention of ever playing.

Personally, I’m fine with it. I don’t pretend that be an expert on gaming as a hobby, nor do I pretend my gaming interests are any gauge of objective quality. I simply play what I want to play, and I’m happy with that.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Nymeria said:

Same boat. Last one I played was ACIII