Forums - Gaming Discussion - Recommend me some Visual Novels?

Tagged games:

Umineko or Higurashi?

Umineko 1 50.00%

Higurashi 1 50.00%

Total:2

Oh, right, I forgot. I've played the first Zero Escape game for DS. But that was a long time ago, I can barely remember.

Might as well consider playing The Nonary Games then.

Around the Network

If you have the Wii U, it had a few visual novels on the eshop.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

The Zero Escape franchise is one of the greatest in the VSN genre, especially Virtue's Last Reward. But you played Zero Time Dilemma which kinda undermines a lot of the plot twist there ...

On another note, recently an excellent Visual Novel just got out on Steam, 2 weeks ago, it was made by a young dev team from Taiwan. I was following the project since last year and yeah, even if it kinda is a "dating sim". It's still mostly the story of a guy living his first college year in Taipei with 3 feline deities. It has a big touch of oriental religion (spirits,deities,gods,etc ...) so it incorporates supernatural stuff as well. They even made an opening for the game :P And you know what ? 

It's free. The name's Nekojishi :) (Oh ! And the music is great btw :P)

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

If you enjoyed Umineko, you will love Higurashi as they are made by the same creators. Also try the Answer arcs for Umineko if you havent tried it. There's also a fighter coming out next month (not VN but still :p).

Other VNs I recommend (most of them short)

Horror
-CUPID A Free To Play Visual Novel - by far the best one I've played, its free, very dark and decently long for a F2P VN. Multiple endings and routes. Good quality artwork and music. No voice acting.
-Sound of Drop - Fall Into Poison (decent story, decent art work, multiple routes and endings)

Action/Fantasy/Romance

-Sword of Asumi (Very dark, artwork is somewhat inconsistent, multiple routes and endings)
-Shan Gui (Chinese VN, voice acting, nice and unique story)
-Rising Angels Reborn (Free to play, Multiple endings and routes, no voice overs, decent story)
-Narcissu 1st & 2nd (F2P, short, decent story however.....)
-Narcissu Anniversary (Not F2P, but its worth it cause it has more content, better art, and has voice overs)
-Clannad (This is a pretty long, well told story, highly recommend but its expensive)

If you like Harem/catgirl based anime (1 route endings)

-Sakura series (2-3 hour long VNs - about 8+ VNs - somewhat decent animation and half of the VNs have voice acting)
-Nekopara (2-3 hour long VNs, about 3 full length ones and 1 short one - good animation quality and Japanese voice acting)
-KARAKARA (2-3 hour long VN, there's 2nd game that came out not too long ago - fantasy related)

I'm still new to the genre though, my first one was two years ago (Narcissu 1st & 2nd).

Last edited by BasilZero - on 28 November 2017

Basil's YouTube Channel

Katawa Shoujo (and it's a free VN on top of being great)
If you want a laugh, you can try My Girlfriend is the President
Planetarian: Reverie of a little planet is a pretty sad story, won't spoiler it more than that
World End Economica, divided into several episodes
Brilliant Shadows and it's successor, Pale Spectrums are two I kickstarted and found them very interesting and love the art style
A bit more special is the Invisible Apartment series, but I liked them (and kickstarted it too)

Btw, how did you like the Letter? I kickstarted that one too like some others on my list, but didn't have time to play much lately, still with the first character

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 28 November 2017

Around the Network

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Katawa Shoujo (and it's a free VN on top of being great)
If you want a laugh, you can try My Girlfriend is the President
Planetarian: Reverie of a little planet is a pretty sad story, won't spoiler it more than that
World End Economica, divided into several episodes
Brilliant Shadows and it's successor, Pale Spectrums are two I kickstarted and found them very interesting and love the art style
A bit more special is the Invisible Apartment series, but I liked them (and kickstarted it too)

Btw, how did you like the Letter? I kickstarted that one too like some others on my list, but didn't have time to play much lately, still with the first character

The game itself is pretty great, above my expectations in fact. There are several routes and decisions, so there's a huge replay factor if you want to see all endings. Each character has it's memorable moments, the QTEs are fun too.

One thing I loved about this game is that you can change so much things with your decisions that the next chapter will be very different between one gameplay and another.

I'm satisfied with the ending I got, so I'm not going  to replay it right now. But I will do it in the future to see how much of the plot you can change. Also, the scares are very good too.