By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade 2 took about 3.5 years to make

caffeinade said:
Nuvendil said:

I can't be positive but comparing X to the original I think the X engine is built on the original engine.  There's just some very odd quirks that engine had that stuck around.  The most obvious is the grass solution being identical.  I doubt they repeated that in a new engine.  So porting the original to the X engine should be a pretty smooth transition.  Not sure they could or would eliminate loading between regions, I think that's more a structural issue.

Perhaps.
But in the same way CoD: WWII is built on id Tech 3, or Titanfall 2 is built on Source.
Both games use Heavily modified engines, that only vaguely resemble their parents.

XBC2 is pretty much just built on XBCX's engine.

True.  But worth pointing out, XC2 features a number of improvements and notable changes to the X engine.  It's not just a new game on the same engine.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
caffeinade said:

Perhaps.
But in the same way CoD: WWII is built on id Tech 3, or Titanfall 2 is built on Source.
Both games use Heavily modified engines, that only vaguely resemble their parents.

XBC2 is pretty much just built on XBCX's engine.

True.  But worth pointing out, XC2 features a number of improvements and notable changes to the X engine.  It's not just a new game on the same engine.

It's hard to tell; graphical upgrades don't necessarily mean sweeping improvements to the engine itself, it may simply be that stronger hardware allows the same engine to do more than it could on Wii U.

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

It's hard to tell; graphical upgrades don't necessarily mean sweeping improvements to the engine itself, it may simply be that stronger hardware allows the same engine to do more than it could on Wii U.

It is a tricky thing to spot.  But looking at the overall package, I would say there does seem to be some notable modifications.  Some of it seems to be general efficiency improvements, but other aspects have changed quite substantially it seems.  But it is impossible to know how deep those changes were made in the engine without looking at the engine first hand.  

I wonder if we'll see an X port from Tantalus to fill in the gap between this game and the 2019-2020 release date for their next project.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Know this isn't the thread for it, but if you are afraid of spoilers, seeing easter eggs, or anything of the sort before the game comes out, I suggest not going on social media and getting off the most gaming sites now. I'm not bothered by spoilers one bit (including what I'm referring to), but something came up that would probably be a big deal for many of us.

KOS-MOS is a rare blade