By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How many hours have you put into Gran Turismo Sport already?

SvennoJ said:
Errorist76 said:

It's working quite well, better than any competitor game. I don't think you give them enough credit. Those penalties usually aren't a big issue unless they happen very late in the race so you won't be able to "brake them off" at the upcoming corners.

Due to this system and also generally I believe, people in GTS usually behave much better and drive much more civilised, than in other racing games I've experienced online. Maybe it's our middle-European servers and this is different in other places around the globe. (Of course the French/Italian/Spaniards connection are just as crazy in the game as they are in real life on their roads..haha.

Perhaps it's better on a European server, it's mostly US players I add to my block list after every race, yet those are also by far the majority of what I get matched against. But to add to what Don said, why have penalties at all if you can lose them in corners and are often assigned to the wrong car.

But you are correct in that it does something. In SR.S you do mostly meet people that try to drive clean. However the way it works is that one or two dirty drivers can ruin a race by causing chain reactions for which they hardly get penalized while causing plenty down ratings all around.

The other frustration is that you can't do anything about it. When I see someone dive bombing me from behind, I can either get knocked out of the track with down rating and possibly get spun around or get a short cut penalty, or veer hard to the side, brake and let him pass, preserving my ranking yet rewarding the dirty behavior.

The game also doesn't explain racing etiquette at all. The 2 short videos it makes you watch don't say anything at all, just be good, don't be bad, literally. But true, it is the best random matchmaking there is atm, even though in my experience, less than 20% of the races in SR.S class are actually clean. But maybe I should be glad that at least "using you for brakes at every corner" doesn't happen in SR.S. It's a start. Plus I'm getting lots of experience in predicting people's intentions and am getting quite good at avoiding attacks and reckless drivers. Not that that helps doing good in races. GT Sport, the real dodging simulator!

When I'm racing I'm always worried that the one behind is less than 0.5s behind me and also trying my best to not do something wrong against the one in front, sometimes losing time on the corner when the guy do a good defense that prevents a clean overtake...

This tension is leading me to win less races than I'm capable off (end up having not many laps at a good enough performance).

One other type of overtake you didn't mention is when the guy is craft enough to not hit you from behind or knock on the side neither cut the corner... but to do a very late brake, but manage to cut in front of you so even if you were positioned to do a early acceleration and the guy is all out of place in your front, you can't do anything without hitting him... I consider it a fair overtake but it is a little frustrating.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

When I'm racing I'm always worried that the one behind is less than 0.5s behind me and also trying my best to not do something wrong against the one in front, sometimes losing time on the corner when the guy do a good defense that prevents a clean overtake...

This tension is leading me to win less races than I'm capable off (end up having not many laps at a good enough performance).

One other type of overtake you didn't mention is when the guy is craft enough to not hit you from behind or knock on the side neither cut the corner... but to do a very late brake, but manage to cut in front of you so even if you were positioned to do a early acceleration and the guy is all out of place in your front, you can't do anything without hitting him... I consider it a fair overtake but it is a little frustrating.

Yeah I didn't mention it since it technically is a fair overtake although they cut you off and make you brake. That's how the leader usually gets away, the people behind him (or you if you're lucky to be in front) slowing each other down like that in corners.

And indeed, while racing I spend more time looking at the mirrors, radar, time differences and movements of cars around me than on making the next corner. It's taxing within a group of cars where one is pushing and is causing all kinds on secondary fallout. And I never really know what to do when one or more cars are ghosted and people are driving inside each other.

Oh well, 1 in 5 almost clean races is still a good result compared to what random matchmaking normally leads to. I had another clean from last to 5th race which is a lot of fun. Of course the next has me adding to the block list again. And yeah DR ranking means little in SR.S, not enough players.

wings said:
50 hours rubber band, maybe 5 of me playing.

Right now it's just not worth playing, lack of content is ruining this franchise. Worst Gt ever by a mile.

No idea what that is supposed to mean, honestly.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah I didn't mention it since it technically is a fair overtake although they cut you off and make you brake. That's how the leader usually gets away, the people behind him (or you if you're lucky to be in front) slowing each other down like that in corners.

And indeed, while racing I spend more time looking at the mirrors, radar, time differences and movements of cars around me than on making the next corner. It's taxing within a group of cars where one is pushing and is causing all kinds on secondary fallout. And I never really know what to do when one or more cars are ghosted and people are driving inside each other.

Oh well, 1 in 5 almost clean races is still a good result compared to what random matchmaking normally leads to. I had another clean from last to 5th race which is a lot of fun. Of course the next has me adding to the block list again. And yeah DR ranking means little in SR.S, not enough players.

Ghosts trick me out... I tend to avoid crossing or touching then because who knows if it will materialize at the wrong moment... I even got overtaken by ghost.

Congrats on being able to manage so many.

Bickering on the ranks always help the leader.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I was able to win one race in the crapy driver category, but only because the front two were fighting and slowing each other down and getting penalized. Not that satisfying, but I'll take it. I don't have time to race each day or even each other day, but when I do I don't want to play the single player stuff, even though I clearly suck and am not fast enough. But like with anything in life, if you practice enough you get better, and I intend to get better (driving with motion controls too, not that bad actually).
Verdict: like it a lot.

Around the Network

another new update downloading now, hoping it's the addition of GT League

ithis said:
I was able to win one race in the crapy driver category, but only because the front two were fighting and slowing each other down and getting penalized. Not that satisfying, but I'll take it. I don't have time to race each day or even each other day, but when I do I don't want to play the single player stuff, even though I clearly suck and am not fast enough. But like with anything in life, if you practice enough you get better, and I intend to get better (driving with motion controls too, not that bad actually).

Sorry to hear you lack time... but if you practice continuosly you can advance even without lap times, Svennoj do clean races and gain a lot of positions by avoiding the crazy guys.

ithis said:

I usually leave the game on in the background and do the race when it comes up. Yet I'm crazy and have a second tv in the living room just for that. Sometimes I'm already matched and don't have time which hurts your ranking but eh, doesn't matter much in SR.S

It is addictive. Best way to learn the tracks and raise your SR ranking is to skip qualifying and stay behind. Then when you're comfortable with the track you can run 1 or 2 qualifying laps and do a race for real. That way you get the most out of your time. It will keep your DR rating low yet there's nothing to gain by raising it. It only effects how many points you get in the FIA championships, points which are meaningless so far. XP / Money is still determined on finish position no matter what rank you race in.

celador said:

Ooh got to download it asap. I hope it's GT League as well, yet I have a gut feeling it's more BoP balancing to nerve the Renault Megane and Volkswagen GTI, as they've been by far the popular choice since the last update. Volkswagen GTI on ovals, Megane on anything else. That would be fine as the Megane is rather boring to drive with BoP, Dodge Viper is more fun to control but was consistently falling behind since the Megane became the popular choice. (I'm faster with it too, just not as exciting)

SvennoJ said: 
celador said:

Ooh got to download it asap. I hope it's GT League as well, yet I have a gut feeling it's more BoP balancing to nerve the Renault Megane and Volkswagen GTI, as they've been by far the popular choice since the last update. Volkswagen GTI on ovals, Megane on anything else. That would be fine as the Megane is rather boring to drive with BoP, Dodge Viper is more fun to control but was consistently falling behind since the Megane became the popular choice. (I'm faster with it too, just not as exciting)

No GT League unfortunately

celador said: 
SvennoJ said: 

No GT League unfortunately

It's not...just a minor bugfix.

The GT League update is coming on the 12th as far as I know. My birthday! Hooray :)